Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

66 GTO LY6 Swap with VVT

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 01:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's funny how the mopar guys grudgingly accept pontiacs compared to more popular gm brands. I personally love mopars and pontiacs and would install an LS just to insult the purist communities.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The shop was trying to get a customer of theirs to swap a new hemi into a 71 Cuda but the guy decided against it. I never was a huge Mopar fan but the more I see the Challengers around the shop the more I like them. They had a 69 Hemi GTX in a few weeks ago that I loved. Probably because the body lines are similar to mine.

I'm on a Pontiac site and have only had a couple negative comments about what I have done. I'm sure there are more people who don't like it but don't say anything.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Car looks great! It is amazing how long it takes to spray car in primer....just wait until you topcoat and clear it.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rocketrod
Car looks great! It is amazing how long it takes to spray car in primer....just wait until you topcoat and clear it.

It sure is. I spent a lot of time that day masking things off and degreasing the car. I don't know if I'm confident enough to actually spray the color...

So I got the car home tonight and I'm really happy with how its turning out. The one thing that is throwing me for a loop though is that the car has serious orange peel, but I kind of like it... I would not like it if the car were painted a color, but in the black primer I think its cool. I almost want to leave it "textured" and paint it black.

Thoughts? I need to decide somewhat soon, I have a few day window where I can topcoat it and not have to sand the car I believe. Here are the pics of what I'm talking about.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

i dont know anything about paint ,,but that looks terrible,i have seen many cars in primer and none had orange peel...
Old 05-14-2012, 08:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know it has a lot of it! Its a 2 part problem that led me to have this result. 1st is that the primer is not really an automotive primer, its an epoxy that is meant for oil rigs, bridges, and things like that so it naturally doesn't want to lay flat because its thick. The second issue is I've never sprayed a car before and its hard to balance spraying it wet enough to get it to flow and not have runs everywhere vs ending up with an unsmooth finish.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm going to sand and paint it. Nevermind, thanks!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FatfreeGTO
I'm going to sand and paint it. Nevermind, thanks!
The primer, orange peel and all, looks good, but was there really ever a doubt that you weren't going to paint it?
Old 05-14-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rocketrod
The primer, orange peel and all, looks good, but was there really ever a doubt that you weren't going to paint it?

No probably not. I just see whats there and the amount of work to smooth it out again and wanted to take the easy way out. I know I would like the look of it for a short time but that would fade. I will be much happier with color. Good painting is hard to do and I give endless credit to those who can pull it off. There is so much to learn with this stuff.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I really think you should take the time to fix the orange peel. You'll be glad you did. I don't know anyone that was glad they rushed a paint job.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah you are right about that.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:27 PM
Staging Lane

what is the recoat window on the epoxy? You are going to have a heck of a time sanding that smooth. Epoxy does not sand all that well, and I imagine the special industrial epoxy you put on will sand even worse than automotive. You will burn up sandpaper and elbows.

If you are still in the recoat window, get yourself some Evercoat Slicksand which is a high build polyester primer (aka spray on body filler). You will need a gun with a 2.0 tip or bigger. It should build enough to fill most of that orange peel. You will want to block the Slicksand down with 180, then to 320 dry. If everthing looks straight and smooth, then you can go to color. If you sand through anywhere, you will need to use a sealer or spray more polyester in the spots you cut through.

This will give you a decent paint job if you follow the specifications for the base/clear and set your gun up properly.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rucumn
what is the recoat window on the epoxy? You are going to have a heck of a time sanding that smooth. Epoxy does not sand all that well, and I imagine the special industrial epoxy you put on will sand even worse than automotive. You will burn up sandpaper and elbows...
I was thinking the same thing....I do not envy the task ahead of you.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any updates?
Old 05-21-2012, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry nothing to update. I haven't been able to do anything to the car since I brought it home. Too much OT at work, and had 2 b-day parties this weekend. One was for my grandpa turning 80, it was great, a big surprise he had no idea.

That Evercoat slicksand did look interesting, but I just didn't have the time to coordinate doing something like that with my schedule lately.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Dont be scared to paint it, let it fly!

Heres a little added motivation to do so yourself. Just got through spraying on the 65 GTO a little earlier. Few small problems, but man im happy with it...
Old 05-22-2012, 06:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

^^ Very cool! Good job!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

been driving my car around in primer for 3 years , never have to worry about it getting dinged up in a lot or show, that will all change when I do paint it . JOHN
Old 06-05-2012, 09:09 AM
Teching In

I would rock a wicked orange peel car...

That is sweet... how many perfectly mirror polished cars do we need?

I had a door I painted start to spider crack, I was like I wish I could spider crack the whole car. Spider crack was from old bondo on a door I didnt know about.

Its definately different. different is good sometimes.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I started sanding the orange peel down this past Sunday so there is no going back now. It actually sands pretty easily.

Quick Reply: 66 GTO LY6 Swap with VVT