Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

66 GTO LY6 Swap with VVT

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FatfreeGTO
I started sanding the orange peel down this past Sunday so there is no going back now. It actually sands pretty easily.
Glad it's going well.....hope to see some progress pics.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Rod.

So far the top of the car is sanded out in 180 grit. And that has taken 8 hours total. The sides need to be done in 180 and then the whole car will be gone over again in 400 grit. I wish I could find more time to work on the GTO but I've been working as many hours as I can lately. Seems like I have lots of things to buy this year that aren't even car related and that is eating up my parts budget.

Send Help! LOL

Just to do the hood was 2 hours. It is neat seeing the high and low spots appear with the block sanding. I should have done it before I primed like was suggested to me.

Here is where I'm at today. I like the 2 tone look but I don't think I will end up doing a paint job like this, I had thought before that I might want to try it...
Old 06-10-2012, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

...Seems like I have lots of things to buy this year that aren't even car related and that is eating up my parts budget.
LOL....I hear ya. I have been working on a sales pitch to the wife that all of our disposable income should be dumped into the Camaro, but I have a feeling she has her own desires for the extra money.... On a serious note, the car is looking great!!! Hang in there it is going to look incredible when your done and not many can say they painted their own vehicle! Doing an LS swap pales in comparison to doing bodywork and painting a car in my book.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome progress! I got the retune with efi live and it worked like a charm.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah women always get in the way of car plans.. Body work is very laborious! I left work after only 8 hours today LOL... and got to spend another 3 hours sanding. The whole drivers side is now in 180. I'm really starting to get a hang of the cross hatch technique. I'm really hoping if I push hard this week I will be ready to spray on Saturday. Just need to clear it with the body shop.

How was the efi live tune? Did you gain anything with it, or tune it for the nitrous? Any new trips to the track to break into the 10's yet?
Old 06-12-2012, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

The sanding never ends!! Got the passenger side quarter done today as well. None of the rocker stainless or wheel well trim is going back on. I'm thinking that the black area at the bottom will get sprayed with a rock chip product before paint.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks Rod.

So far the top of the car is sanded out in 180 grit. And that has taken 8 hours total. The sides need to be done in 180 and then the whole car will be gone over again in 400 grit. I wish I could find more time to work on the GTO but I've been working as many hours as I can lately. Seems like I have lots of things to buy this year that aren't even car related and that is eating up my parts budget.

Send Help! LOL

Just to do the hood was 2 hours. It is neat seeing the high and low spots appear with the block sanding. I should have done it before I primed like was suggested to me.

Here is where I'm at today. I like the 2 tone look but I don't think I will end up doing a paint job like this, I had thought before that I might want to try it...
Here is a two tone idea for you, but in reverse. I have the twin to your car but in a convertible. I see your car is being sanded but here is my finished project, The paint colors are Harley Davidson 2003 anniversary colors, I also removed all of stainless moldings.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:06 PM
Teching In

You guys are killing me with those Goats. I can remember the first car I ever wanted was a 67 hard top. I was 16. The guy wanted 500 bucks. My dad agreed to go look at it and hr said it wasnt a bad deal but after we left he told me that he wouldnt allow me to buy it. "You'll kill yourself." Were his exact words. I remember them exactly. I was dissapointed of course but have always respected him for that. He knew I wasnt responsible enough and would eventually give in to my youthful urge to test its limits and Im glad he did cause I surely would have gotten myself into big trouble before I realized it.

All these yrs later I still want one. But for now I am settling for another love thats a bit younger. An 87 Monte Carlo SS. Yanking the 305 and putting in some LY6 VVT LOVE. I'm going to be hitting u up for lots of LY6 VVT Supporting info so get used to me bothering u not to mention all of you LS g-Body guys out there.

Roach
Old 06-13-2012, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Back in 1990 I went to look at a 65 goat it was a tripower convertible and the guy wanted $2000.00 for it, it was in great shape and ran great. I laughed at the guy and thought he was crazy wanting that kind of money. Oh to be young and dumb again. I get the thumbs up all the time and everyone has the story of having a family member having a goat or having had one and getting their first piece of a$$ in one.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey Roach cool story, sorry you didn't get the car. I know what you mean about getting into trouble, my first car was a different 66 that I blew the rear end out of doing burnouts a week after getting my license I will help with ?'s if I can, feel free to ask.

Lizeec car looks real nice, good to see the finished pics. I wish these cars were still affordable, its amazing what people want for complete junk nowadays.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:01 AM
10 Second Club

Tell, me about it. One crazy thing is that a few days ago I found an 81 Camaro for sale on the side of the road. The owner claimed a so called Pontiac ram air iv motor. I was surprised when I pop'd the hood and saw the Pontiac motor. I couldn't confirm the motor. I've never seen that swap.

Your Goat is looking great. I haven't been back to the track yet, but I am hoping for a dip into the tens.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:57 AM
Teching In

What are the various oil pan options when dropping an ly6 into a car versus the huge stock pan that Im sure has clearance issues. Which of them would be tje best bang for the buck? I know Mast makes one but Im wanting something more reasonably priced. Not looking for top of the line. Just looking for a quality set up thats a straight bolt on without any head aches(modifications)
Old 06-15-2012, 07:03 AM
Staging Lane

I used the Street and Performance mounts, and the Autokraft oil pan. It sits flush with the bottom of the cross member. And it's a really nicely made pan. A bit pricey though.

http://www.autokraft.org/products/
Old 06-15-2012, 04:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah Autokraft, Mast, Holley are going to be the easiest. Holley can be had pretty cheap online I've heard, well $300's cheap anyways... With the Mast pan you still need to buy a gasket, dipstick, and a tube. I have the Mast pan and think it was worth it.

Last edited by FatfreeGTO; 06-16-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just bought the Holley oil pan kit online for $328 including shipping and insurance.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

It was sorta raining this morning so I didn't get to work on the car. I'm wanting to sell the condo I live in and have a house with a big garage so I decided to do some work at home instead. Swapping out some appliances etc. After I finished that I've been wanting to make a simple movie with some editing and music etc. This is my first attempt at it but it was fun to do. Check it out, its just showing the gauges and the push button start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKPwG...ature=youtu.be
Old 06-18-2012, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You are making great progress on your car. My son and I decided to copy your hard work and we purchased Speedhut Revolution Gages for our 66 GTO (LQ9/T56 in a 66GTO). Speedhut said they did not have any Metric sending units (for the temperature gage). What did you do to install the sending unit into the head? Thanks for your help.

Ricky
Old 06-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Staging Lane

Sanding progress is looking good! What is your next step with the body/paint? Do you have a decision on your paint color yet?
Old 06-18-2012, 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RicOtt
You are making great progress on your car. My son and I decided to copy your hard work and we purchased Speedhut Revolution Gages for our 66 GTO (LQ9/T56 in a 66GTO). Speedhut said they did not have any Metric sending units (for the temperature gage). What did you do to install the sending unit into the head? Thanks for your help.

Ricky
Great hope they work out well for you!

For the oil pressure I used Autometers adapter M16 x 1.5 / 1/8" NPT
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-2268/

For the coolant temp I picked up this autometer adapter but haven't installed it yet in the head. I just used my old spot in the heater core hose for now because I didn't feel like making a mess of the coolant. M12 x 1.5 / 1/8" NPT This is what I found others saying they used...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-2277/

Originally Posted by Rucumn
Sanding progress is looking good! What is your next step with the body/paint? Do you have a decision on your paint color yet?
Thanks! I have basically decided that I will be painting the car the factory Marina Turquoise color. Sanding has come to a stop for now, I did half the hood in 400 grit and that is as far as I have gotten. Hope to get back to it soon.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:30 PM
10 Second Club

Pretty slick. Nice work.

Quick Reply: 66 GTO LY6 Swap with VVT