Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

66 GTO LY6 Swap with VVT

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you mind posting three or four pictures of the "sandwich" backing plate you made to hold your gauges in place? My son and I are ready to install the Speed Hut gauges in our 66 GTO, and your setup looks great. I'm headed to the Goodguys PPG Nationals in Columbus next Thursday, is there any chance you might be there on either Friday or Saturday?
Old 07-01-2012, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RicOtt
Do you mind posting three or four pictures of the "sandwich" backing plate you made to hold your gauges in place? My son and I are ready to install the Speed Hut gauges in our 66 GTO, and your setup looks great. I'm headed to the Goodguys PPG Nationals in Columbus next Thursday, is there any chance you might be there on either Friday or Saturday?
Yeah I can do that. I need to go through them. and I will upload or PM them to you. I will not be going to the show but my friends shop Apex Autosports will be there with a purple Hemi Cuda that they restored and will be entered in the Musclecar of the Year competition.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

So ended up getting the car all blocked out and took it back to the body shop Sat morning. Put the car in the booth yesterday and masked it all off, and came back today to paint it. Ted the painter at the shop decided it would be best if he were to handle the painting. The concern was with the metallics in the Marina Turquoise, they didn't want to see me "tiger stripe" the car. I would have like to have been able to say that I did everything myself but its ok the paint has turned out awesome!

To get to this point was about 100 hours of work. I had thought that this was going to be a quick and dirty job just to make it look better for a few years until I could disassemble the car and have it blasted and replace sheet metal. I never planned on spending as much time on it as I did. I am very happy with how the car looks now and I will not be ashamed to take it anywhere. I am worried about the condition of the bumpers and other trim though, might have to do something about that now..

Well here are some pics of what happened this weekend.

Spraying on the K93 sealer before paint.

The base coat / clear coat products

Marina Turquoise.

1st coat of paint is on.

3 coats of base coat. Have good coverage at this point. We went around the car with a light looking for areas that may need more. It was a neat trick and I never would have thought of doing that. I still have another 3/4 of a gallon for future use which is cool.

No clear yet.

Clear is on! What a difference.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks awesome (not that I am surprised)!!!!
Old 07-01-2012, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rocketrod
Looks awesome (not that I am surprised)!!!!
Thanks man! I will be honest there are areas that I should have spent more time and what not, its far from perfect. I'm now hoping that the rust doesn't return anytime soon and I can get more then a couple of years out of it... It just wasn't in the cards right now to spend the time and money required to disassemble the whole car and have it done right. Hindsight is 20/20 but I sure will be happy when its back together and I don't have to hear little kids say "its kinda rough" as they walk around it That happened one time at a park last year.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

The paint looks great. Do you plan to sand/buff the paint immediately, or drive as is? There is not a great rush on the dash reassembly pictures, as my son and I will not be working on the dash untill next Monday (after I return from GoodGuys - Columbus). The way you are going, you will have your car finished by then!!!

Ricky
Old 07-02-2012, 03:57 PM
Teching In

Just read this whole build thread and its pretty sick bud.... my father just passed away and left me his 1966 LeMans, im gonna restore it how he always said he wanted too! This thread is gonna help out alot sir thanks!!
Old 07-02-2012, 06:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RicOtt
The paint looks great. Do you plan to sand/buff the paint immediately, or drive as is? There is not a great rush on the dash reassembly pictures, as my son and I will not be working on the dash untill next Monday (after I return from GoodGuys - Columbus). The way you are going, you will have your car finished by then!!!

Ricky
Going to let it be for now. I'm so sick of sanding I can't stomach it. I will get those pictures put up soon, I ran out of room with my Flickr account and I don't want to pay to have them host more photos. Have fun at the show with your son, its awesome that you guys are doing a car together. My dad and I did a 66 GTO when I was 15/16 and I am grateful for those times and the things I learned.

Originally Posted by chevelleluvr
Just read this whole build thread and its pretty sick bud.... my father just passed away and left me his 1966 LeMans, im gonna restore it how he always said he wanted too! This thread is gonna help out alot sir thanks!!
So sorry to hear about your father, its awesome that you are going to build the car as a tribute of sorts to him. If I can help with any questions you have along the way please ask.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

This color really surprises me, the color that was on the car was pretty far off from this one. And it seems to be very hard to photograph. I was looking for pictures online before I decided to go with the correct color for my car and I was never 100% sold on what I would see online. Even the pictures that I took today outside make the car seem darker then it really is. I do absolutely love the color though!

Does anyone know where the tailpipes are supposed to end in relation to the bumper? I need to trim mine down because they stick out to far. If you have a picture to share I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Also for anyone who is looking to host their photos I figured out that you can use facebook to do it and link them to here. You can even create an album that nobody on facebook can see except for you and still share you pictures on here no problem. You are stuck with the sizes shown below but that's ok because its free! And to think I was going to delete myself from that site.

Here is what the car was looking like before I started. Makes for a good before/after with the picture above.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Amazing and yes the color is quite a bit different than the original, but I really like it! I didn't realize the driver side rear quarter was that bad, but your repair job looks great!!!
Old 07-02-2012, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Honestly I don't think the majority of people would be able to tell the repair is there unless I told them. It turned out really well. Both of those holes pretty much doubled in size by the time I cut out all the rust.

I don't know what color was on the car before I know that wasn't the original though. While I was doing bodywork I came across areas that had my now new color underneath.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:19 AM
On The Tree

BJ

Thanks for the pictures. I now understand how you did it, and it will save us a lot of time. I finished wiring up the electric windows on our GTO last night, and will be working on the sound system on the 4th before we head out to Columbus on Thursday. Thanks again!

Ricky
Old 07-14-2012, 07:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

That's really cool, looks like it turned out well.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

Turned out great! That should turn some heads, especially with the hood open!
Old 07-14-2012, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

What do your gauges do when you start the car? My old autometer stuff did the full sweep then back into place, my speedhuts just move a little bit (which is fine I guess, just not as cool looking). Do yours do something different? Just trying to make sure things are right before I finalize the installation.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ricky, glad the pics worked out for you. If you have any questions as you go along just let me know. Hopefully the Columbus GG show was a fun time for you and your son. Heard a 65 GTO won the muscle car of the year award for that show.

Thanks for the comments guys! It is starting to really come together and I'm getting pretty excited to have it on the road again finally. Spent the day polishing headlight bezels using 000 Steel Wool with some wax, painted my grills, removed the windshield and rear glass because it was broken, and installed my grill surround piece. Still need to polish the bumpers and door handles etc..

Chuck if you go back one page to post #256 you can see a video that I made showing the gauges on startup. They only jump a little bit. One thing I wish that these did would be to zero out after turning off power but they don't. You can see it in the tach before I turn the key its sitting at the last RPM read before shut down. Full sweep would be neat!

I removed the glass on my own and it was pretty simple. Always heard people talking about guitar strings or piano wire etc but this is what I did. I got inside the car with a box cutter and started at the top of the glass cutting the butyl tape. Worked my way down the sides. After quite a few cuts I started to apply pressure to glass pushing it out of the car and continued cutting. After about 5 minutes I was able to grab the glass from the outside and lift it away from the car. Since the glass was broken I wasn't careful if you were trying to save the glass this may not be the best way to do it.

The paint for the Argent Silver on the grills is a Krylon #1403 dull aluminum. Looks pretty good to me.

Before:

After:

Here you can see one grill done and one ready for spray.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

Fantastic build! Coming along great!

I'd like to see more pics of your cluster/gauges build if possible. I'm thinking of doing the same thing.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:02 AM
TECH Resident

The color looks great awesome job
Old 07-16-2012, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I like the paint color, I had a 66 hardtop that we painted that same color but it came out a bit lighter, yours looks darker than mine did i wonder if the black primer you used has anything to do with it, on mine we used the gray primer?
Old 07-16-2012, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Wow man the paint looks incredible! NICE WORK! Can you do mine next?

Quick Reply: 66 GTO LY6 Swap with VVT