LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Conversions & Swaps (https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps-28/)
-   -   5.3 4l60e swap into my RUSTY '71 C-10 (https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/1585356-5-3-4l60e-swap-into-my-rusty-71-c-10-a.html)

aknovaman 09-28-2012 05:25 AM

That harness looks familiar. I stripped one down this weekwith the same bolt cutter modification.....

Let me know if you need the other end.

BlueMaxCougar 09-28-2012 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
No, the exteriors are all stock.

That's the way I like them.Stock appearance with a small drop and some kick under the hood.

78_elky 09-28-2012 12:00 PM

I just picked up an engine a week ago and when I went to look at it the guy had cut his harness like that (and other places). I asked about the rest of it and it was sitting behind the motor in the shed. I was amazed, he had the common sense to remove it from the wreck but then got lazy and cut the thing...some people amaze me.
Jess

itsabullitt 09-28-2012 08:21 PM

This is a great swap. Looking forward to seeing more. My first truck was a '71 Chevy longbed. I miss that truck. I wish I would've kept it and made it half as nice as the ones you built. Love the two tone treatment.

ls1nova71 10-01-2012 10:35 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Made some more progress, but not going as fast as I would like. It's my own fault, as I'm just a little too picky to do a 'quick and dirty' even on a rusty old beater. But I try to be patient, and take my time on things so the swap will be as reliable as possible. Cutting corners now will probably make me have to work on fixing it later, which with my luck would be on the side of the freeway at midnight in the middle of January in a foot of snow with temps around 1 degree! Not my idea of fun. But, it will get done soon enough.

Spent some time and fabbed up some engine stands from part of the new truck mounts. I could have bought conversion mounts, but I want to put the engine where I want it, so this is what I did. Also I just like fabricating things out of metal, which is basically a way of saying I like to do things the hard way. :eyes:

Total spent on mounts, $8 in metal, and $7 in cut off wheels and grinder discs.
Brake lines were $17

Attachment 611445

Attachment 611446

Mounted they look like this. The nice part about them, is if you've ever put an engine in a newer truck, you know how easy it is to drop the engine in. The mounts just practically fall into place.

Attachment 611447

Ran some new brake lines to go around the engine stands. More work, but the old lines are 41 years old, so replacing them isn't a bad idea anyway.

Attachment 611448

Attachment 611449

Then put the engine back in to make sure everything is still going to line up, and to see if, or where, I need to trim the frame. Only have to do a couple of spots, just for peace of mind. It's not hitting anything, but I like just a little more clearance in spots.

Attachment 611450

Attachment 611451

ls1nova71 10-01-2012 11:03 PM

13 Attachment(s)
Moving right along, I found out that newer DBW intakes are differnt than the older DBC type. It seems they moved a pcv line from the throttle body to the intake, so putting a DBC throttle body on a DBW intake causes the two to hit each other. I pulled the line out of the throttle body, and will run a tap through it and then screw a pipe plug into it, no biggie.

Attachment 611432

Then I decided to change engines. I've had this 2002 5.3 for years, bought it off Craigs List for $400, but it's not complete, and the intake was broken, so I never used it. The guy I got it from claimed it only had 7000 miles on it, and looking at the pulleys, they didn't have any paint worn off of them so I figured it might be true. I pulled the valve covers off, and it definitley looks low mile.

Attachment 611433

Attachment 611434

Tonight I got the big drill and tap out and drilled the head for the temp sender. Some people cringe at the thought of this, but I've done it multiple times with no problems. Just go slow, and don't get in a hurry!

Attachment 611435

Attachment 611436

Run the big tap through it.

Attachment 611437

Done!

Attachment 611438

Then on to the oil pressure gauge line fitting. This has been talked about alot on here, but not sure if anybody ever put up any pics of the process.

Start with the original sender.

Attachment 611439

Break off the plastic part. I take a grinder and grind it down to the base, then all the insides will come out easily.

Attachment 611440

Then drill it out the size of your new sender, which in my case is a fitting for the oil pressure line.

Attachment 611441

Run a tap through it the size of your new sender.

Attachment 611442

Then re-install it in the bloick! Super easy, and if you already have the tap and drill, it costs $0, and takes less than half an hour.

Attachment 611443

Todays investment $400 for new engine,

But also sold this today for $600! :D

Attachment 611444

BlueMaxCougar 10-02-2012 07:20 AM

That is awesome and good info.Sounds as if you added an extra $200 for the project from the old engine sale.I'm learning a lot from this.Please keep posting the small details like the temp sensor and oil pressure sender how to.I hadn't seen either of these on here before.I'm still a noob so.....

JunkyardZ 10-03-2012 08:44 PM

love your other trucks, and this is special too!

I just got done with ls1 swap in a 70 shortwide, and this brings back some oh so fresh
memories lol.....what's the suspension plans? 4/6 drop on stock wheels and original paint????!!

ls1nova71 10-03-2012 10:39 PM

5 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by JunkyardZ (Post 16780340)
what's the suspension plans? 4/6 drop on stock wheels and original paint????!!

If I do anything, and that's a big "if", I'd put a set of 2 1/2" drop spindles, and 4" drop springs in the rear. Then I could put my 8" wide stock steel wheels with dog dish hubcaps on it. But for the time being, the white walls and full wheel covers are going to remain.

Last night I got the engine all cleaned up and painted. Cleaned, masked, etch primed, and painted in Chevrolet engine orange Centari. The paint and primer were left over from the last couple of trucks, but I did have to buy some more hardner for the paint. Also bought some new water pump gaskets, just to be sure.

Hardner... $10
Water pump gaskets... $20

Attachment 611411

Attachment 611412

Attachment 611413

Attachment 611414

Tonight I cleaned up the pullies and painted them black. I masked off the part where the belt rides because sometimes painting that part makes the belt noisy.

Attachment 611415

BlueMaxCougar 10-04-2012 06:45 AM

Looks great.

Dobster 10-04-2012 07:25 AM

Great thread

Thanks for taking the time to share your biuild with this thread. I will be keeping up with this build... Greatness ! ! !
Thanks,

JunkyardZ 10-04-2012 08:54 PM

looks great, gettin a little closer!!

I did paint my powerbond pulley and water pump pulley, havn't got any noises yet thankfully.

I assume your using the stock tank with a walboro?

souljaboy9768 10-04-2012 09:17 PM

Curious to know where you got your brake lines and do you have a part number for water temp sensor?

Thanks, ill be following!!

I'm working on a 68 Camaro ls1/t56

ls1nova71 10-04-2012 10:58 PM

13 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by JunkyardZ (Post 16783519)
looks great, gettin a little closer!!

I did paint my powerbond pulley and water pump pulley, havn't got any noises yet thankfully.

I assume your using the stock tank with a walboro?

Painting the pulleys may depend on the kind of paint you use as to whether or not it will make them noisy, but I've had it happen. Actually had to take a piece of sand paper and sand where the belt rides down to metal. I DON"T recommend it, but I did it with the engine running! :eek2: And yes, Walbro with factory tank is the game plan.

Originally Posted by souljaboy9768 (Post 16783599)
Curious to know where you got your brake lines and do you have a part number for water temp sensor?

The brake lines are just the generic metal lines that the auto parts stores sell, I bent them up, cut them to legnth, and then added the factory spring stuff before re-flaring the other end. Don't have a part number for the sender, I bought it at Oreilly's a year ago when I bought the truck because the gauge didn't work. They just looked it up for a '71 Chevy truck with gauges.

Sorry for the picture quality, I think it's the flourescent light in the garage.

Got a throttle cable at the U-pick-it the other day off of a '94 Chevy van for $4. I just look for a long cable with the correct end to hook to the throttle body bracket, cut the gas pedal end off the inner cable and remove it, then cut the fire wall end off to length. Then take the original cable and pull the firewall part off (part that clips into the firewall), you have to twist and pull hard, but they will usually pull apart. Then slide the new throttle cable into it, I put a little super glue in it, but it's a really snug fit. After that, you slide the inside cable back in and put a cable stop on the other end. Cheap and easy! Just like me! :D

Attachment 611391

Attachment 611392

Attachment 611393

Attachment 611394

Then worked on the shift linkage. Had to move it back to match the transmission. I put a 3/8 socket and some extentions on it so I could get the pivot lined up with the shift shaft on the transmission, trying to 'eyeball it' never seems to work for me, so this way they were really close. Made it easier to mark where I needed to drill the new holes in the frame.

Attachment 611395

Attachment 611396

Couldn't get it where I wanted it because the frame mount that the body mount sits on was in the way, so I got it close then moved the pin on the shift linkage. Also had to cut the lever piece that goes between the frame mounted part and the shift shaft on the transmission because the new trans is a little wider than the original one, and you couldn't put it on without unbolting one of the brackets. I cut 1/2" out of it and welded it back together.

Attachment 611397

Attachment 611398

Then I overkilled the piece I welded together, just because. Can't make it too strong. That and I had an incident with a welded shift linkage arm breaking once, but that's another story...

Attachment 611399

Got it all hooked up to the column, works good, but the rod is a little too short, I'll take care of that later.

Attachment 611400

Pulled off the old vacuum booster, getting ready to install the hydroboost!

Attachment 611401

Attachment 611402

Just need to modify thes bracket a little bit.

Attachment 611403

ls1nova71 10-04-2012 11:00 PM

Forgot the prices for the stuff above.
Throttle cable... $4
Hydroboost... $18

gofastwclass 10-05-2012 07:55 AM

I know you like them but what did you take the hydroboost from? I've never really paid attention to which vehicles have them. I've seen some Chevy trucks (3/4T and up maybe?) and 2000 Mustangs.

aknovaman 10-05-2012 10:14 AM

Astro van, gm later model trucks, almost everywhere above a compact car model ?

I cleaned out my garage and threw out 10 truck intakes last week. Should have told me you needed them.i did save the injectors for spares.

gofastwclass 10-05-2012 11:12 AM

Eric, I have two drive by cable truck intakes and I can give you the better of the two if you are interested.

JunkyardZ 10-05-2012 05:54 PM

on the trans linkage I just done completely away with the factory brackets and used the stock rod welded to the shifter arm linkage on the side of the tranny, works great.

good idea on the cable, I went ahead an bought an fbody cable so I didnt have to modify anything, fits great and was just the right length to keep it hidden.....

BlueMaxCougar 10-05-2012 06:26 PM

Here is some interesting hydro boost stuff I came up with.Mainly pertains to Ford but may give some ideas and info.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=125544