Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS Swap in 78 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 04:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting closer

I cut the dipstick from the junk yard off to 24" from the bottom of the handle to the tip of the metal and its to short. Poured 6 1/2 quarts of oil in engine and nothing on the dip stick. Going back to Scratchy's Salvage and get another dip stick and try again.
Have had a couple of good days in the shop. Got the radiator installed with fans, Holley Program configured. All the sensors are wired to the harness. Garys 68 helped me figure out the radiator hoses and how to wire the Alternator. The spacer is installed in the Throttle Body that linkage clears the water pump neck. Picking up the pulley for the Power Steering pump tomorrow with the bushing installed. The fuel injectors should be in Monday.
Still need to figure out the air filter. Have to work out a different bracket for the TV cable. Will get the exhaust pipes fitted up on Monday and hope to try and start Monday night.
Attached Thumbnails LS Swap in 78 Vette-corvette-ls-tv-tb-cable.jpg  
Old 04-28-2013, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Picked up my PS pulley today and got the serpentine belt measured. Injectors should be in tomorrow. Fixed the TV cable, turns out I had a bracket that came with the kit from Bowtie. Makes the cable line up with the TB. Just need to drill additional hole since I moved the TB forward 1" to clear the water neck. Need to wire the Alternator and finish mounting it. Cranked the engine over until I had oil pressure. Can't wait to start this beast up.
Attached Thumbnails LS Swap in 78 Vette-corvette-ls-tv-cable-bracket.jpg  
Old 05-02-2013, 07:11 AM
On The Tree

Finally got to turn the key last night. It won't start, have fuel and no fire. Maybe have the crank and cam sensors plugged incorrectly

Last edited by donnie_19; 05-02-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:29 AM
On The Tree

Got the crank and cam sensors straightened out. GM uses the same weatherproof plug but the pin wiring is swapped. It would start and barely run and lots of stumbles. Have a big exhaust leak as I messed up on the exhaust manifold gaskets. Need to get gaskets specifically for the C5 exhaust manifolds I am using. Found out I ordered the incorrect gaskets. Should have got 2001-2004 gaskets. I also had the injector harness swapped, no wonder it was backfiring and farting.

Last edited by donnie_19; 05-08-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:55 AM
On The Tree

Had a defective IAC and it was wired wrong on the harness. Got that straightened out and ran the engine for about 10 minutes a couple of times. Got the fans and engine cooling system all working. Need to get the Holley EFI to go into closed loop to self learn. Engine sounds good.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Holley kind of steered me in the right direction. Had the cam sensor wired backwards. Drove around for a couple of miles tonight. Had the PCV hooked up and it was sucking oil like crazy and smoking. Removed the lines from the Throttle Body and all seems to be better. Getting new plugs in the morning.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:47 AM
On The Tree

Finally got to drive again last night for a few miles. Still smoking a little but need to get all the oil burned out of the intake. Got the engine good and warmed up. Have the PCV system venting to atmosphere until I get a catch can figured out. Had one of the hoses for the tranny cooler pop off, what a mess. Got that fixed and will top off the tranny fluid and head for the car wash.

Last edited by donnie_19; 05-22-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

Default Back on the road

Had the engine drop a valve about a month ago and valve pushed up through the side of the head. The engine builder blamed the machine shop for specifying the spring and the machine shop blamed the engine builder for specfying the springs.
Ended up with a couple of nicks in the cylinder wall which were honed out. Engine assembler donated a different set of heads 241 which were milled .015.
Piston, rod and bearing inspected and deemed usable. Brian Tooley .650 Dual Springs and 7400 pushrods installed. Engine reassembled by machine shop. If there is a good thing its the machine shop didn't charge me for the repair or reassembly and the engine builder donated a set of heads. I was out my time for pulling the engine and reinstalling.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:09 AM
On The Tree

Default Back on the road

Got the engine back in with Brain Tooley valve springs and push rods. Had a local Holley expert tune for a couple of hours and it runs great. Have a couple hundred miles so far. Vintage air is working, dakota digital gauges functioning and new fiero sheets installed. Still need to work getting fresh air. Steering is kind of sloppy even after replacing almost all the components. Going to take a serious look at R&P.
Attached Thumbnails LS Swap in 78 Vette-corvette-lsx-engine-bay-3.jpg   LS Swap in 78 Vette-dakota-digital-gauge-cluster-front.jpg   LS Swap in 78 Vette-corvette-feiro-seats.jpg  
Old 07-30-2013, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

Updated list of all the modifications I have done since starting at the end of October 2012. Installed a 6.0 LQ9 in my 78 vette. Bored .30 over, with 590 lift cam. LS6 Intake, cable Throttle Body, 42 lb injectors, 255 lph fuel pump in tank, C5 filter regulator 58 psi. 2004R transmission with Shift Kit, Bowtie TV cable and LS Kit, B&M quicksilver shifter, Holley Accessory brackets for A/C, PS and Alt brackets. Holley ECU and Cables, Vintage Air, Fiero Seats by Mr. Mikes, Jeep Steering Box conversion with Borgeson Drag Link. Aluminum Radiator with Z28 dual electric fans, Replaced all 8 body mounts. New Shocks, new front end bushings, upper and lower ball joints. Stock 308 rear gears, Dakota Digital Gauges.
Next addition will be electric head lights.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:51 AM
On The Tree

Blew a fuse to the fuel pump yesterday. Have to figure out why and small amount of gas was leaking by the filter regulator. Had to get towed home. On the good side did get the steering fixed by installing a new borgeson drag link.

Last edited by donnie_19; 08-02-2013 at 06:00 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:15 AM
On The Tree

Default Fuel Pump

Replaced the main feed wire from the Holley ECU relay to the pump tank connection. Had a small area of original wire that was smashed so maybe that was the issue. Will run a amp test this week. Did get a couple of short You Tube of my build.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Well fuel pump quit working. Going to get another one ordered. I guess cheap walbro chinese junk. Nothing in the sock.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:11 AM
On The Tree

Steering is fixed Replaced the drag link. Part of my swap was installing a Jeep box to get rid of the hoses and cylinder. Been stranded a couple of times. The nut on the starter battery lug has loosened up both times. Vette sits so low to ground that it can't be fixed unless its is jacked up. Going to jam nut it today. Have about 1000 miles now and need to work on gas mileage. It sucks at 12 mpg. Need to lean out the a/f ratio's.
Next swap this winter will be a T56 6 speed.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:25 AM
On The Tree

Update. Ran about 3000 miles with little trouble. Most of the bugs are worked out. Getting around 16 mph around town. Haven't really had any long cruises so didn't get a good highway reading. Going into last phase of my project by painting. The engine run great with lots of power and not using any oil. Going to stay with the 2004R tranny.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:00 AM
On The Tree

All the paint and primer has been removed. Started to patch the front fender. Car had damage on front drivers front fender and at one time had been repaired for a wreck on passenger side. Grinding out body panel seams this week. Fitting up tru flex front and rear bumper covers. Hope to have it in primer sometime in Feb. Going to do the electric headlight conversion while hood is removed. http://stingrayv12.com/services.html
Old 05-17-2014, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Default Painting progress.

Body is at the paint shop and has had the sandable poly sprayed and the guide coat. Few spots to fix and ready for primer. Can't wait to get this phase of the restoration finished.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

LS1Tech 10 Year

did you do the electric lights yet?
Old 05-27-2014, 07:06 AM
On The Tree

I started to install the motors and then car went to paint shop. Will post a few pictures of the retrofit when I get started.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

LS1Tech 10 Year

I did mine with 99 firebird motors.works good just didnt wire them to a switch yet.

Quick Reply: LS Swap in 78 Vette