Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 280z ground up restomod LS1 swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 04:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely gorgeous, I love these old Japanese car with American transplants, I want an old rwd Celica v8 swap
Old 10-20-2013, 01:38 PM
Staging Lane

Looks great, nice clean work! I like the color too. My vote for axles is the Z31 turbo setup. You'll need the flange adapters and shorter axles to make it work (correctly) but the end result is very clean, smooth, and can handle lots of power.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 240dan
Looks great, nice clean work! I like the color too. My vote for axles is the Z31 turbo setup. You'll need the flange adapters and shorter axles to make it work (correctly) but the end result is very clean, smooth, and can handle lots of power.
Yeah its been a while but I believe I got the stub axle conversion from modern motorsports that allow you to use the 280zx turbo CV's. Some people say they have problems with them being too long but others seem to have no problems. They bolted in ok. I've heard the axles are at their shortest when the suspension is off the ground (maximum droop). Everything seems to rotate freely so I think I'm ok (cross fingers).

So, I finally got HP tuners and took off the annoying VATS. Until I took it off, it could never run for long enough to get any heat into them motor. So the first time it ran for more than a few minutes, I had some oil smoke from some residue of the headers...kinda freaked me out at first lol.

Here's a video. The driveshaft is disconnected so the tranny is freewheeling which is why it shows 11 mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgGk...c#action=share

One thing that I don't quite understand is the IAT sensor. Its basically pegs low at -40f. This sounds to me like I don't have a sensor hooked up. I thought that the MAF measures the air intake temp no? I do have a small 2 wire connector that isn't going to anything, I wonder if that was suppose to go to the IAT sensor.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:40 PM
s30
10 Second Club

Lucky you got them, Ross from Modern Motorsports died of cancer a few months back. I dont know who is running the operation over there since it always seemed to be a one man show.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:00 PM
Teching In

Beautiful color, seems you went with the JCI LS1 kit? What headers are you using?
Old 01-18-2014, 11:11 PM
Staging Lane

Im in love...kudos for savin the old Datsun bro
Old 03-07-2014, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

nice build man, im looking at getting a 81 280 zx and i want to do a ls swap to it, your build will be alot of help, not sure if i seen it or not but who did your harness?
Old 03-07-2014, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

nice build. in for updates.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:20 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have some shorties for sale if your interested
Old 03-18-2014, 01:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Boise-nick
Yeah its been a while but I believe I got the stub axle conversion from modern motorsports that allow you to use the 280zx turbo CV's. Some people say they have problems with them being too long but others seem to have no problems. They bolted in ok. I've heard the axles are at their shortest when the suspension is off the ground (maximum droop). Everything seems to rotate freely so I think I'm ok (cross fingers).

So, I finally got HP tuners and took off the annoying VATS. Until I took it off, it could never run for long enough to get any heat into them motor. So the first time it ran for more than a few minutes, I had some oil smoke from some residue of the headers...kinda freaked me out at first lol.

Here's a video. The driveshaft is disconnected so the tranny is freewheeling which is why it shows 11 mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgGk...c#action=share

One thing that I don't quite understand is the IAT sensor. Its basically pegs low at -40f. This sounds to me like I don't have a sensor hooked up. I thought that the MAF measures the air intake temp no? I do have a small 2 wire connector that isn't going to anything, I wonder if that was suppose to go to the IAT sensor.
Sorry for the late response, little busy lately. I can't advise on the 280zxt setup. I looked at it years ago during my build but decided on the Z31T for the additional strength. I've had a lot of experience with the Z31T setup (on my car and others) since. The stock axles are definitely too long even with the cages flipped. They may bolt up and work but the bind is there whether it's noticed or not. In my experience the bind will be at it's worst when the axles are at their lowered ride height (not at full droop). In fact, it's the stock (or close to) ride height guys that seem to get away without shorter axles.

Quick Reply: My 280z ground up restomod LS1 swap