Sponsored by:

'73 240z LS3 Crate Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 07:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '73 240z LS3 Crate Swap

Hey everyone,

New member here and thought I'd share my project. It's the biggest project I've taken on, and my first time doing anything with an LS. So I'll be looking for as much advice and guidance as possible.

I'm starting with a pretty solid running Datsun.

I've got some more stuff with it and will update later when I have more time.

My main concerns are what i need as far as accessories/brackets, what starter and clutch would be best, my best option for an engine harness/computer.

I'll have many more questions when I think of them haha. Looking forward to getting all learned up here at LS1Tech, I've heard many good things.

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2014, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Very nice!
Old 04-09-2014, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Also I'd just like to throw this out there, I'm desperately looking for a 98-02 fbody t56, where I'm a new member I can't post in classifieds yet. I've called pretty much everyone on the east coast of Canada, and aparently there is nothing nationwide, only stateside.

I am doing a few other things to the car besides the LS swap.

Here's a few pictures of suspension work.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 921 Posts

Sweet!!!

Andrew
Old 04-09-2014, 06:26 PM
Teching In

Few more things

What would people recommend for a clutch for this setup?

Also still looking for advice as far as the cheapest accessories to buy that will work for me.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:47 PM

Sorry, nothing informative to add but I wanted to say that Datsun looks sweet. When you're done, you can drop and LS in that Lotus too!
Old 04-11-2014, 07:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blswan
Sorry, nothing informative to add but I wanted to say that Datsun looks sweet. When you're done, you can drop and LS in that Lotus too!
Lol, Id love to have an LS in there if it was financially feasible. K20 in there will most likely be the next project after the Datsun.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Nice build, z cars were made for LS engines in my humble opinion. Regarding your questions:
I suggest using a stock LS1 Camaro/Firebird harness and computer. Get the schematics and do the harness diet yourself (it's not difficult just time consuming). I used a Painless fusebox and kept the LS wiring separate from the z wiring.
Stock LS1 starter too, nothing fancy needed.
There are several options for accessories depending on what your intentions are (street, race, a/c?, p/s?). I went with an electric water pump and a low mount alternator kit (no frills on my car). Do a little searching on this subject.
The market is flooded with clutches so you'll have to decide for yourself. Again, depending on intended use. I've had good luck with Monster clutches. Started with the level 3 and then bought the twin disc when it came out. If you buy the Monster, get the light flywheel option (18lb vs. 28lb). Absolutely no need for a heavy clutch in a lightweight z car. I would avoid the popular LS7 clutch, it's around 60lbs.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:50 AM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hybridz.org has tons of info !
Old 04-15-2014, 03:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you get an early F body accessories then that will have the right accessories for the swap. The stock LS3 starter, clutch, computer and harness will all work. Since you have a crate motor you may need to buy the harness and computer separately. Whatever you get will need to be compatible with the I believe 58x reluctor wheel you have and throttle body (electronic or cable?).

Since you probably won't be running power steering you can easily adapt an F body alternator bracket to your LS3 and run an alternator only. If you want AC it will be a bit more work.

Not sure if the camaro oil pan will work. You might need to swap to the early F body or an LS2 unit. new oil pan means new pick up tube and windage tray.

I run a GM LS7 (LS2) clutch and flywheel. Works great for the street, all you need really. A lighter flywheel would be nice, especially in a car as light as a Z, but for the price the GM stuff is hard to beat.

By the way, post the same question on Hybridz and prepare to be butt raped.

Also keep in mind the early F body T56 transmissions aren't as strong as the later model ones. If you find one that has never been rebuilt, then keep the idea of it needing a $1500 rebuild in the back of your mind.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Oh man I just sprayed beer on the monitor!

I agree on the transmission. A used one is a 50/50 shot at best. My first one was used and had several shifting issues. After a year of that I'd had enough and just had TDP build it.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:37 AM

that is really nice , but what about your differential ?? am just starting with same project
Old 05-09-2014, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Sorry for the lack of updates, just haven't had a whole lot of time for the car lately.

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
If you get an early F body accessories then that will have the right accessories for the swap. The stock LS3 starter, clutch, computer and harness will all work. Since you have a crate motor you may need to buy the harness and computer separately. Whatever you get will need to be compatible with the I believe 58x reluctor wheel you have and throttle body (electronic or cable?).

Since you probably won't be running power steering you can easily adapt an F body alternator bracket to your LS3 and run an alternator only. If you want AC it will be a bit more work.

Not sure if the camaro oil pan will work. You might need to swap to the early F body or an LS2 unit. new oil pan means new pick up tube and windage tray.

I run a GM LS7 (LS2) clutch and flywheel. Works great for the street, all you need really. A lighter flywheel would be nice, especially in a car as light as a Z, but for the price the GM stuff is hard to beat.

Also keep in mind the early F body T56 transmissions aren't as strong as the later model ones. If you find one that has never been rebuilt, then keep the idea of it needing a $1500 rebuild in the back of your mind.
That's the plan, I'd like to only have to run an alternator and nothing else. I really have absolutely no options for T56's I'll have to jump on the first one I see when the time comes and just hope for the best. They're all $2500+..

I really hope the pan I have will work to help keep costs down.

Originally Posted by 240dan
Nice build, z cars were made for LS engines in my humble opinion. Regarding your questions:
I suggest using a stock LS1 Camaro/Firebird harness and computer. Get the schematics and do the harness diet yourself (it's not difficult just time consuming). I used a Painless fusebox and kept the LS wiring separate from the z wiring.
Stock LS1 starter too, nothing fancy needed.
There are several options for accessories depending on what your intentions are (street, race, a/c?, p/s?). I went with an electric water pump and a low mount alternator kit (no frills on my car). Do a little searching on this subject.
The market is flooded with clutches so you'll have to decide for yourself. Again, depending on intended use. I've had good luck with Monster clutches. Started with the level 3 and then bought the twin disc when it came out. If you buy the Monster, get the light flywheel option (18lb vs. 28lb). Absolutely no need for a heavy clutch in a lightweight z car. I would avoid the popular LS7 clutch, it's around 60lbs.
Thanks for the advice on the wiring. I have slim to none wiring experience in automotive applications but I deal with industrial electrical and electronics daily, and have no fear of doing my own.

Wow I had no idea there was that big a weight difference, that's huge! I'll definitely have a look at monster when the time comes.

Originally Posted by sayed hussain
that is really nice , but what about your differential ?? am just starting with same project
I reaaaallly wanted an R230, but living in Nova Scotia sucks for finding parts. I've come across an R200 with axles that I'll be picking up hopefully this weekend.

Thanks everyone for the advice. It's going to save me headaches down the road!
Old 05-09-2014, 04:12 PM
Teching In

Oh yeah... Couple minor updates I suppose...

Camber plates in...

Bay cleaned up and rattle canned... Bed liner... Lol

Front suspension in

Pretty much it... Been slacking on the Datsun big time.

Thanks again!
Old 05-09-2014, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

nice build
Old 05-11-2014, 08:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 602 Likes on 478 Posts

Very sweet build.!!!
Old 05-11-2014, 08:51 AM
TECH Resident

Can not wait to see the final product. Great work and clean *** Z.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

Looking good! R200 gets my vote for the diff. Not as strong as a 230 but plenty strong for most applications and waaaay lighter. Remember, if your car weighs 3200lbs when you're done it sort of defeats the purpose of installing a big engine in a little car
Old 06-02-2014, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

Also, Pop-n-wood is right, you'll need LS3 harness and computer. Not the LS1 stuff I mentioned. Didn't look closely at the engine pic (apologies). Rest of the ingredients still applies.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

T56 are pricey... a few alternatives are LT1 tranny... much cheaper however you need to do the LS conversion which I believe is about 300.00 ... which will keep the cost down a good amount.
You can go ole skool and get a M22 or M21 Muncie 4speed. It will bolt up and save space and weight. Make sure you get a late 60s early 70s tranny. It will hold the power. Early 80s and T5s will not hold the LS torque.

Quick Reply: '73 240z LS3 Crate Swap