Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 911 - LS1 swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C2 swap

Not doing much to the car. The northeast has been cold and snowing.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:38 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpartanZ32
Waited weeks for the RH kit to arrive, and was bored out of my mind with nothing to do. As my luck would have it, my work schedule got BUSY right when the parts arrived.......so I haven't had much time to play with the car.

I managed to get a few things done over the weekend.

- Did some trimming to the rear to clear alternator and AC compressor

- Swapped out the LS1 accessories/etc to the new stuff that RH sent me....water pump (seems to be from an LS1...odd), alternator, AC compressor, and all brackets.

One thing that kinda makes me mad: it seems I will need an LS3 crank pulley to work with Renegades manual water pump kit. I'll post pics shortly, but it seems that everything lines up EXCEPT for the LS1 crank pulley. Either they forgot to include that, or they just don't include it for some reason. I just ordered one on my own, but I'll be giving them a call tomorrow to see what happened.
ah bummer! slowly but surely
Old 12-31-2016, 04:53 PM
Teching In

Had a couple free hours, so I managed to get the adaptor plate and tranny bolted up to the engine.......felt good to see it all as one unit! That feeling quickly went away when I realized I forgot to put Loctite on the pressure plate bolts. (I've always used Loctite on PP bolts, so I'm planning on pulling it apart and doing that. If I don't, I wont be able to sleep at night.)

Also did some final trimming to the car and got the engine and trans in place. Another issue I ran across is that the LS1 steam pipe vent tube sticks out towards the front of the engine, and it's in the way of the engine mount plate. Sooooo, I just ordered a nice aftermarket steam vent kit that will give me the clearance I need. More waiting.
Attached Thumbnails Porsche 911 - LS1 swap-img_7026.jpg   Porsche 911 - LS1 swap-img_7027.jpg   Porsche 911 - LS1 swap-steam-vent-problem.jpg  
Old 12-31-2016, 06:39 PM
Launching!

Great way to start the new year, I'm a couple weeks behind you and hope to be putting the engine in 3 more weeks. Don't the PP bolts come pre coated with loctite? Thanks for the reminder, I haven't ordered my PP bolts yet...
Old 12-31-2016, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by shanghai_todd
Great way to start the new year, I'm a couple weeks behind you and hope to be putting the engine in 3 more weeks. Don't the PP bolts come pre coated with loctite? Thanks for the reminder, I haven't ordered my PP bolts yet...
Not these pressure plate bolts.....they are aftermarket. The pictures/instructions that RH sent me even has a reminder to use Loctite. Oh well, could be worse I suppose.

Happy New Year, and I hope you get your engine in soon!!
Old 01-01-2017, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

nice work!!

not sure if your steam tube is the same as my LS3, but mine also had a ~1/2" clearance issue...I just bent it out of the way so that the RH crossbar would fit.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by First350
nice work!!

not sure if your steam tube is the same as my LS3, but mine also had a ~1/2" clearance issue...I just bent it out of the way so that the RH crossbar would fit.
First350, did your steam tube look like this? After reading your comment, I attempted to bend mine out of the way......but it felt like it was going to snap off. Definitely didn't give me that "I'm gonna bend" feeling. haha
Attached Thumbnails Porsche 911 - LS1 swap-ls1-steam-port-arrow.jpg  
Old 01-04-2017, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Tonight I pulled the engine/trans back out so I could put the Locktite on the pressure plate bolts. Also did a little more trimming to clear the water pump.

While I was cutting, I decided to cut an engine access panel like some of the other guys have done. I plan on welding a lip around the outside of the panel and finding a creative way to fasten it to the car. Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking maybe DZus fasteners, or something similar?!?
Attached Thumbnails Porsche 911 - LS1 swap-access-panel-1.jpg   Porsche 911 - LS1 swap-access-panel-2.jpg   Porsche 911 - LS1 swap-access-panel-3.jpg  
Old 01-04-2017, 11:32 PM
Staging Lane

First350, did your steam tube look like this? After reading your comment, I attempted to bend mine out of the way......but it felt like it was going to snap off. Definitely didn't give me that "I'm gonna bend" feeling. haha
Oh ...that's different than mine; I had a cross tube that had the interference in the middle (between the 2 front steam ports). This pic is from the rear driver's side, looking forward/center

Old 01-04-2017, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

Tonight I pulled the engine/trans back out so I could put the Locktite on the pressure plate bolts. Also did a little more trimming to clear the water pump.

While I was cutting, I decided to cut an engine access panel like some of the other guys have done. I plan on welding a lip around the outside of the panel and finding a creative way to fasten it to the car. Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking maybe DZus fasteners, or something similar?!?
I did the same thing...I welded ~8 tabs onto mine and used Rivnuts.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by First350
I did the same thing...I welded ~8 tabs onto mine and used Rivnuts.
Nice...got any pics?
Old 01-05-2017, 08:40 PM
Launching!

I just used blind nuts and screws for now, i may upgrade to rivinuts later.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:25 PM
Staging Lane

Nice...got any pics?
here's what I used...unfortunately I never took a good picture of it installed. I like these floating nutplates b/c they allow for some misalignment, which just make things much easier when installing.
Name:  IMG_20160607_140518_zpsjinixz3x.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  224.0 KB

Here's where I bought them:
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...Bs8BoC4MTw_wcB
Old 01-06-2017, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

cool idea
Old 01-26-2017, 02:36 PM
Teching In

Waited weeks for the RH kit to arrive, and was bored out of my mind with nothing to do. As my luck would have it, my work schedule got BUSY right when the parts arrived.......so I haven't had much time to play with the car.

I managed to get a few things done over the weekend.

- Did some trimming to the rear to clear alternator and AC compressor

- Swapped out the LS1 accessories/etc to the new stuff that RH sent me....water pump (seems to be from an LS1...odd), alternator, AC compressor, and all brackets.

One thing that kinda makes me mad: it seems I will need an LS3 crank pulley to work with Renegades manual water pump kit. I'll post pics shortly, but it seems that everything lines up EXCEPT for the LS1 crank pulley. Either they forgot to include that, or they just don't include it for some reason. I just ordered one on my own, but I'll be giving them a call tomorrow to see what happened.
I'm looking at doing the same swap on my 996 soon using the RH basic kit and mechanical water pump kit. Difference would be that I want to use the L92 truck version of the LS3 or similar. Did the RH kits come with all the accessory brackets or did you have to reuse some?
Old 01-26-2017, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

How much did you pay for the car? I'm interested to see this thing run as a whole car. Nice work so far.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ls1Ryan2002
How much did you pay for the car? I'm interested to see this thing run as a whole car. Nice work so far.
I got great deal on the car - paid $14,950. Why the odd number you ask? Because the seller was a tight-***, and so am I.....so we flipped a coin (he was at $15,000 and I was at $14,950. Obviously I won the coin toss...haha).

Sold the engine for $5500 which covered a majority of the swap parts and engine. I expect to have less than $20k in the car by the time I'm done.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:11 PM
Teching In

Had another "setback" and haven't been able to mess with the car much. My dog tore her ACL and had to have surgery, so I've been playing daddy day care for the past 2 weeks. Literally had to be with her 24/7 since she can barely walk while healing.

BUT, I'm back in the game. Coolant lines should be wrapped up this week. Will post pics once I find someone who can TIG weld for me.
Attached Thumbnails Porsche 911 - LS1 swap-gia.jpg  
Old 02-13-2017, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

Lol poor dog, had to put down our dog just about a month ago. My bad on the late response but hey nothing wrong with trying to save as much as possible lol. I'm actually really curious to see the car complete. I remember I took my car up to Omaha and met a guy with a LS1 swapped porsche. Wish I would have taken a picture, it was a badass car.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Got a question....and I almost feel dumb asking this, but something just doesn't look right to me.

Can someone who has the RH kit for their 996/997 please post a picture of their engine mounts?!? What bolt goes in the red arrow hole? And is the blue arrow hole/bolt correct as I have pictured?
Attached Thumbnails Porsche 911 - LS1 swap-rh-mounts.jpg  

Quick Reply: Porsche 911 - LS1 swap