Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever ls swap into a 49 ,50, ford shoebox?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 11:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever ls swap into a 49 ,50, ford shoebox?

Iam getting back to my 49 ford two door sedan project and have some specific questions (to many lol) for anyone who has done or been part of a swap with these cars. the core support on these cars suck and it ties all the inner fenders/fenders/hood support/grille together. basically the whole front clip and the door/hood adjustment all in one way or the other are limited to the core support and it houses a very small radiator. i was wondering what people did to run larger radiators in these things as well as a few other questions. thanks charlie
Old 02-08-2017, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

How much horsepower are you planning on having? There are several radiators for the 49-53 cars that would bolt right in and cool up 800hp.

Here's a 3 row aluminum from Champion for example.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Champion+Cooli...FUpNfgodGg4EEQ
Old 02-08-2017, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Hey thanks for the reply. i have a stock 5.3 with a ls6 intake and injectors ect. so pretty small horsepower for the ls platform anyway. iam trying to curb my enthusiasm so i dint end up with a divorce. ive seen champion radiators before and they get mixed reviews. i personally dont care about brand marketing but want something to work. whats your opinion? ever run one? I know tri-5"s will fit but spendy and early mustangs but man are these small. thanks again charlie
Old 02-08-2017, 01:05 PM
Teching In

should have looked at radiator before i posted. so does with a ls does it not need to be crossflow? sorry thats probably a dumb question. how about the inlet and outlet? arent they both suppossed to be on the passenger side? sorry first ls engine swap lol
Old 02-08-2017, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

LS radiators tend to have inet/outlet on the same side due to the Inet/outlet configuration on the motor itself
Old 02-08-2017, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Personally I've had very good luck with the champion Radiators and their warranty is fantastic. As said above LS motors have inlet and outlet on passenger side so radiators setup the same way are easier to hook up. LS motors DO NOT require a crossflow. You can use any radiator you like as long as cooling is sufficient.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the help I appreciate it. Looks like there are several options so I'll keep doing the research. Would love to use one stuff but that's not an option unless I wanted a giant fan project. Last dumb question, a radiator tank inlet/outlet isn't specific is it? I mean the top, left or right is just the top right? So I could weld it where ever I wanted right? Thanks again Charlie

Quick Reply: Anyone ever ls swap into a 49 ,50, ford shoebox?