Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to hook up ammeter/alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to hook up ammeter/alternator?

How do I wire up my ammeter gauge so that I can tell if the alternator is charging? There are a few wires that went to the original alternator, so I'd assume that one or more of those get plugged in somewhere at the LS1 alternator.

As for the charging system, as long as I plug the connector (with the one wire from the LS1 harness) in and connect the big post to the starter, it should charge, right?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 06-27-2004, 04:41 PM
Launchin It!

Matt,
Did your car come with a voltage regulator?

The heavy gauge wire runs from the post on the alt. to the starter. You might want to get a manual to sort out the other wires. Mine old alt. had two wires one was 12 volts to energize the alt. and the other to the warning light. The gauge actually pulls volts from the harness.
I hope this helps.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not sure if there's a regulator or not. The schematics in the manual that I have aren't that helpful.

I've spent the last 6 hours troubleshooting. Everything is ready for the car to fire. First I wasn't getting 12V to the PCM. I found another place to get voltage, turned the key to "run", the fuel pump kicked on, and the joint where the braided hose connects to the tank started leaking bad. So I drained the tank and disconnected the hose. I have a hard-tube adapter on there but I guess the 35 year old tube wasn't very clean so it wasn't sealing. I was worried about this when I put it on the first time. Oh well.

I'll start another post about the starter wiring.

Quick Reply: How to hook up ammeter/alternator?