Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 S14 240sx Swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 05:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great write ups everyone. i was thinking about shelling out the cash to hinson for his kit out of pure laziness but it seems that i should just get a motor/trans and start fabricating instead . seems like there's a lot of room to save some cash going DIY with mounting.

i'm getting ready to undertake this swap on my S13 so hopefully i'll start documenting like yourselves as soon as i find a motor set (anyone got any good sources?).
Old 08-06-2006, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=syndicate]Hey assclown

on a serious note. I highly doubt a good majority of any of you drift or SCCA so it truely doesnt matter anyways. A little over/understeer isnt going to kill anyone.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAA!! That is very funny buddy, do you even know who Mike is ???? Do some research before you talk...

Nice car mike a fine example of a LS13..That thing rips..

Ax
Old 08-06-2006, 10:35 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=ranger2339]
Originally Posted by syndicate
Hey assclown

on a serious note. I highly doubt a good majority of any of you drift or SCCA so it truely doesnt matter anyways. A little over/understeer isnt going to kill anyone.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAA!! That is very funny buddy, do you even know who Mike is ???? Do some research before you talk...

Nice car mike a fine example of a LS13..That thing rips..

Ax
I was attacking the concept not the person; therefore requiring no research

I typed a huge paragraph before I left for Dallas on friday, yet it didnt post.... In short... I origionaly posted about options, not particularly defending anything more than that the RB would be my personal choice over and SR should you be choosing between the 2. The thread then lost control, and slipped back in with the help of Ted.

I dont know if we can delete thread posts, but Im sure this would be a time if ever! BTW Deftones ******* rock live!! Same with "10 years"
Old 08-10-2006, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Any updates on the big dogs projects?
Old 08-10-2006, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

^ Here here! I 2nd the motion!
Old 08-14-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Drama people... Drama... How do you compare a built RB to a STOCK FORM LS1?!?!?!

That RB setup will cost 7k including the swap. My setup was 3,550... That leaves me 3,450. Umm... that leaves me enough to make close to a TORQUE monstrous 500HP. Get your head out of your ***. Do it while you're waiting for that turbo to spool and I'm 10 cars ahead.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

"My setup was 3,550..."

i'm not tring to start nothing. but...
i thought i read somewhere you had 6k in it? is that car included? $3550 was just the motor, or motor, rad, driveshaft, ( i know you said you had the fuel pump already), headers, etc? just wondering how you got it so low. im doing the same to the s14 ATM.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:23 AM
On The Tree

Question: Is it possible to modify the 240sx steering column to clear the stock headers?
Old 08-16-2006, 06:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mmdb
Question: Is it possible to modify the 240sx steering column to clear the stock headers?
If you are talking about if you can modify the steering column, the steering shaft, or the rack so you can use off the shelf headers for the LS1 then no, not that I am aware of. It's a rear steer car so even if you move the shaft over it's still tight in that area and the rack itself sticks up some and unless you move the rack it's smack dab right where the headers are going to run. Unless there's some off the shelf headers that happen to cater to this (even the GTO's headers don't look like they'd even be close and that's a rear steer car as well) like it's been brought up the tight clearance of the strut towers would problably be an issue then.

Ted

Last edited by Ted J; 08-16-2006 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mmdb
anything is possible, but in if your asking has anyone done it or does anyone offer a modded one for situations like this id have to say no.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Regular

Its nice to see Peters doing what he does best. however im still curious to where most of you guys are picking up motorsets from. ive seen prices from to low to beleive or just sound outright shady to those that are ungodly overpriced which had put a real hault on my setup.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by datboibrad
anything is possible, but in if your asking has anyone done it or does anyone offer a modded one for situations like this id have to say no.
Anything is possible but to do what that person is talking about doing it's going to require a lot of work and custom fabbing of things. The rack itself is in a position that makes it tough for the exhuast (When I was looking into putting another u joint in the steering shaft and moving it over I was running into the fbody manifolds exiting right into the rack and the u joint on top of it) and makes most if not all aftermarket headers not work, you add in the steering shaft and it just makes it tougher to make a custom set up for it and out of the question for most if not all aftermarket headers for the LS1.

That's just my $.02 on it though.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by datboibrad
Its nice to see Peters doing what he does best. however im still curious to where most of you guys are picking up motorsets from. ive seen prices from to low to beleive or just sound outright shady to those that are ungodly overpriced which had put a real hault on my setup.

huh?

i picked up all my stuff from a junkyard in houston called manuels or something for 3500 for everything with 30k miles on it.

you just gotta call around man.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:35 PM
Teching In

Question: Whats everybody doing for engine management? Stock ls1 ecu or standalone?
Old 08-20-2006, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

Im using stock ECU that will be tuned.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ted J
Anything is possible but to do what that person is talking about doing it's going to require a lot of work and custom fabbing of things. The rack itself is in a position that makes it tough for the exhuast (When I was looking into putting another u joint in the steering shaft and moving it over I was running into the fbody manifolds exiting right into the rack and the u joint on top of it) and makes most if not all aftermarket headers not work, you add in the steering shaft and it just makes it tougher to make a custom set up for it and out of the question for most if not all aftermarket headers for the LS1.

That's just my $.02 on it though.
ah. you make a good point man. hopefully by the time i get my project off the ground a half decent solution will have been found.

what about the set of headers that are really short and run log style and dump tward the very back of the motor. i honestly have no idea what model ls1 headers they are but i want to say they are the stock z28 ss or ws6 headers.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

someone already tried all teh stock stuff.. none of them work.

and in response to the ecu thing, im running a stock ecu with a magnuson reflash for now.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know this may be a dumb question, but what about power seering?
Old 08-21-2006, 01:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mikespeed95
someone already tried all teh stock stuff.. none of them work.

and in response to the ecu thing, im running a stock ecu with a magnuson reflash for now.
aw man that's not good. How bout edelbrock (sp?) headers? I need something that'll pass emissions in CA. They're one of the carb legal ones out there for the LS1. Btw, what portion of the steering column is hitting the exhaust? Should i look for headers that hug the engine as close as possible? I'd hate to do any modification to the headers to make it fit.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:53 AM
TECH Resident

well.....i dont really have an answer for that question taht will make you happy. block huggers might work, but honestly there is little to no room to work with between teh steering shaft and the side of the head on the drivers side, and running 4 1.75'' primaries just aint happenin in that space. you can try stuff, but i dont know if theres an alternative to custom right now.

as soon as one is found though please post it up here. i think mustang headers with flanges swapped migth be the best bet, but even so thats not looking too good.

Quick Reply: LS1 S14 240sx Swap