Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vintage Air and PCM running fans

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 05:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vintage Air and PCM running fans

I have just got my Vintage Air kit that will go in my '69. The kit comes with a highpressure sensor that should activate the radiator fans.

My question is, can I connect this sensorswitch to the PCMs AC Highpressure input. I mean the PCM runs the fans normaly and it will also activate the fans if the AC pressure will be to high. It must be easier to do it this way.

Any with experience of this?

Jan
Old 05-05-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my high pressure output directed to the PCM so it runs the fan as necessary. I also have a switch under the dash that triggers the relay if I feel I need the extra cooling. So far I have never used my "extra" switch, the PCM does a great job of regulating the fan.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:34 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My stock setup AC pressure switch is in the loop to control the clutch on the compressor so that is the way I left it. Also the stock wiring has another wire that turns on the cooling fans whenever the AC is commanded on and that is how I wired it.

I drew up the circuit for low speed, high speed, and AC fan on relays where they never fight one another similar to the Corvette setup. Works great however my outputs from the PCM are both tied to the high speed output so I plan on rewiring it to isolate the low speed and high speed since I have two speed dual fans.

So the PCM doesn't control the fans for AC my car side commands the fans to come on whenever the AC is turned on.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am using aftermarket fans and an aftermarket A/C similar to your Vintage Air, a puller fan takes care of basic engine cooling, and a pusher fan that comes on with the A/C Clutch. Speartech set up a PCM controlled lead in my harness that controls the relay for the puller fan, and I am leaving the control of the pusher fan relay with the A/C. Whenever the A/C clutch engages, the pusher fan comes on and is independent of the PCM.

Pat

Quick Reply: Vintage Air and PCM running fans