Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1955 56 57 Conversions Post here

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just finishing off my '55 4 door, stock frame, 9" rear and a procharged LT1 in the front with S&P accessories. Plenty pics on my site if anyone wants a look http://www.project55.co.uk
Old 11-20-2006, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

Default Chassis wiring harness. any opinions?

O.K. I'm ready to start wiring, does anyone have experience with the pre-made harnesses that are out there? There seems to be a wide range of prices and it's usually true you get what you pay for.
Thanks,
Jim
Old 11-20-2006, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

Used a Speartech one with custom extensions on the main harness. Wasn't clear that the extension was to apply to the fuse box and ALDL plug as well. Had to extend those wires about 18". Computer is under the passenger side front seat, fuse box is mounted under the dash on the pasenger kick panel and the ALDL is on the dash lip next to the passenger side door.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

Default Wiring harness

Yea I got my engine/FI harness from John but now I need to wire the lights, radio, horn, ignition and all the rest. Any suggestions there?
Jim
Old 11-21-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased my wiring harnesses from East Coast Chevy (not the LS1 harnesses. I am getting that from Speartech).

They have different harnesses for different parts areas of the car. I'm sure all the different Chevy parts places do.

I just get myu stuff from East Coast because they seem to be a little more reasonable on prices. I do find them to be slower to ship though, if speed is of importance.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LawrenceF
I'm just finishing off my '55 4 door, stock frame, 9" rear and a procharged LT1 in the front with S&P accessories. Plenty pics on my site if anyone wants a look http://www.project55.co.uk
LawrenceF,

You did an awesome job on that '55 and the web site is great!

Steve
Old 11-22-2006, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ewingr
I purchased my wiring harnesses from East Coast Chevy.

They have different harnesses for different parts areas of the car. I'm sure all the different Chevy parts places do.
How much flexibility for adding non-stock items do the East Coast Chevy harnesses have? I have been leaning towards American Autowire because they offer some ability to customize their harnesses.

Finally got my body back from E-coating, now I gotta get some assembly going big-time.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wardrum
How much flexibility for adding non-stock items do the East Coast Chevy harnesses have? I have been leaning towards American Autowire because they offer some ability to customize their harnesses.
I believe that in fact the wiring harnesses that they sell are from American Autowire. Although, I purchased mine back in 1999 when I did a refresh, so you would need to ask.

Not sure of the path you are thinking here as it relates to flexibility. But I presume the fuse block you use would be where you need the flexibility. The one I have is similar in size, and mounts the same, as the original. But it of course uses current fuses. I would like for it to have more fuses. I think it has 8. So, you might want to discuss which fuse blocks are offered, and that hook into the original style harnesses you would be using.

By the way, a good forum to get info on Tri-5 Modifieds is here . Of course the best place for LS1 info is this site
Old 11-23-2006, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ewingr
By the way, a good forum to get info on Tri-5 Modifieds is here . Of course the best place for LS1 info is this site
Thanks for tip about Chevy Talk. I am already a member ("57 Bel Air LS-7"). You're right, it is an excellent site for non-LS info. The collective amount of knowledge of the members is amazing, and very helpful.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Default Brackets on motor?

What brackets are y'all using on your tri 5's? I have a bracket set up for a Camaro and the a/c and alt hit the crossmember. S&P have a set up but it cost $1900. Any idears would be great.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've seen, and read of people, notching their crossmember. Scares me, but may be fine to do.

I'm not sure what is out there that can accommodate you that is not polished/expensive stuff. I'm using March Performance, and it's not cheap either. I don't recollect what all comes in the $1900 price tag for S&P stuff, but I think that includes alt and compressor, etc. Just the pully system from March, at Summit, is ~ $1150. But then you have to buy the alt and compressor, so I think it ends up being a little higer. Especially if you purchase the billet alternator, which I did. (I'm nuts...)
Old 12-06-2006, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Any body know if the brackets from a Vette would clear? Or even try using a smaller alt? I know that I will have to buy/fab a bracket to raise the A/C I am just trying to get the alt. to clear with out cuting the frame.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Default Hey Guys

Hey Guys im getting ready to start on my conversion. i want to throw a LS6 in... would that be a problem over installing a LS1 or will they both have the same basic set up. Also WHERE DO I START WITH THIS THING ???? WHAT SOULD I LOOK INTO PURCHASING FIRST ??? HELP !!!!!!!
Old 12-07-2006, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't answer the question about the LS6. I have some assumptions, but they could be wrong. I do think the LS7 would be different.

What to buy first? I don't know. Think about how your project will progress. It seems logical to need the engine and tranny first; motor mounts; wiring harness and computer. Those things you need just for placement.

If you want to get started, but not quite ready for that investment, you could start with the gas tank, fuel pump, fuel lines.

I think you will find the project grows. You find more things you want; things you didn't plan on etc.

Here's a list of acquisitions that you may have, or not, from a project I had set up on my computer while planning this: (there are things yet to add to the list. Also, I deleted from this list other things I'm doing such as A/c stuff, etc)

Engine
Transmission
Computer
TAC Module
Gas Pedal
Headers
Motor Mounts
Serpintine Pulley System
Power Steering Pump
PS Resivoir
Altenator
Wiring Harness
Gas Tank
Computer Programming
AN Connections for Hoses and Braided hoses
Modify Radiator Inlet
Air Cleaner
Fuel Lines
Engine Paint
Flex plate for transmission
Oil Pan
Fuel hoses and rail from engine
Transmission mount
Starter
Aluminum Freeze Plug covers
Fuel Filter
Copper Header Gasket
Oil Pressure Tree p. 60 item 9 S&P
Mass Air Flow Adapter
Billet Oil cap

Here is a list of tasks (also not 100% complete):

Identify who can modify radiator outlet
Identify who can create Cold air return for engine
Identify what specific type of gauge sensors need to be purchased
Pull out under dash gauges
Pull off vacuum pump
Pull off old Cruise Control
Remove Tachometer
Pull off MTD controller
Determine if you want to notch frame (I didn't)
Determine of Corvette Oil Pan will work (it didn't)
Determine eventual locatoin for computer
Install Computer and TAC Module
Install Gas Pedal
Install Gas Tank
Install Fuel Lines
Polish Throttle Body
Install new power booster bracket for brakes
Install new brake hoses on wheels
Paint or replace master cylinder
Bleed brakes
Install new oil pan
Drop Motor and Transmission into frame
Install pulley system
Paint radiator cross-member
Install radiator cross-member and radiator
Measure for various hose needs
Order hoses
Install Hoses
Install wiring harness
Determine what programming to apply to computer
Program the computer
Determine if other parts are needed for the Mega Shifter - then order
Hook up transmission shifter
Install instrument cluster
Fire up engine
Put body back together
Old 12-07-2006, 04:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 439 Likes on 345 Posts

Just about everything interchanges with the ls series of motors. After all it is a small block Chevy and interchangeability is what made it so famous.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:19 PM
10 Second Club

[QUOTE=ewingr]I've seen, and read of people, notching their crossmember. Scares me, but may be fine to do.

I heated my crosmember and beat it lower where it needed mor clearence.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:25 PM
Teching In

I apologize in advance for being off topic -- will that Milodon oil pan work (posted earlier)? I understood the reason the LSx oil pans are physically large is because they add to the block rigidity -- is this correct or will any thin steel oil pan work?
Old 12-08-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I heated my crosmember and beat it lower where it needed mor clearence.
Hmmm...may be fine. But that one scares me a little too. I'm no metalurgist, but, I'm thinking that heating metal can stress it, or make it weaker. Makes me think back to when we used to heat coil springs to lower a car 3", then over the next year or two the care would just collapse as the springs give out.

If you are going to be racing and stressing that front end...I don't know. Just a thought.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:54 PM
10 Second Club

Actually beating on it without heating it can workharden it and make it brittle. It's a pretty massive piece in the front, though there is nothing anywhere else. I added 3 crossmembers threwout the chassis. The metal in these old cars is'nt very good.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:00 PM
Teching In

Oh well too late I went ahead and cut it. Then boxed it in to give me the clearence I needed.

Quick Reply: 1955 56 57 Conversions Post here