Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSx swap with mechanical clutch linkage car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 02:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LSx swap with mechanical clutch linkage car?

Right now my '82 camaro has a Gen1 SBC,Lakewood scattershield,McLeod adapter plate and a '99 T56.All parts forward of adapter plate are stock replacement for the car.Actually I am still underway with the trans swap crossmember but have really been thinking LSx engine swap.The car has mechanical linkage on the clutch system factory, and I have retained it with the new T56 as I already have the entire system to my liking.I know it would be easier to go hydraulic but I don't want to.I prefer mechanical.

My question is...has anyone swapped in a LSx series engine and ran it with an old school 4 speed mechanical linkage style setup?Would I be able to use my Lakewood scattershield?I am just trying to see if this is even feasible yet to really get into a swap.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Though my Chevy II is not up and running yet I have an LS1 with a Muncie 4 speed. I am using a Lakewood scatter shield as an adapter to go between the LS1 and the Muncie because space is at a premium and I did not want to cut up the car. I decided to use the block plate but it has to be carved up to clear the aluminum housings bolted on the back of the LS1 block. I carved the block plate and it fit fine. I used the stock LS1 flywheel, a Ram pressure plate made for an LS1 but with an 11 inch clutch instead of 12 inch, a factory 11 inch disc and appropriate throw out bearing. The entire story is in the sticky at the start of this section. I think using the stock clutch linkage is going to be fine and dependable. Some folks on here don't have real nice things to say about the hydraulic clutch set-ups and woud like to have mechanical linkage.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:00 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Novas Forever
I think using the stock clutch linkage is going to be fine and dependable. Some folks on here don't have real nice things to say about the hydraulic clutch set-ups and woud like to have mechanical linkage.
I have heard about the hydraulics hence the reason I prefer to stay mechanical.I have mine setup pretty nice and like it.Thank you for this info and I also found the info in the sticky,very interesting!This may be worth a shot.My biggest fear was that my Lakewood bell wouldn't bolt up to the LSx block,but then again I know very little about the GenIII motors, time to dig a little deeper.Anyone wanna trade an LQ4 6.0 for an AFR headed, fully forged 355!!!
Old 09-21-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

The Lakewood housing will bolt up minus one bolt, just carve up the block plate. I wish I had a 5 speed.

Quick Reply: LSx swap with mechanical clutch linkage car?