Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Harness from Scratch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 07:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine Harness from Scratch?

anybody ever do that? with no stock harness? i tried our electornics sponsors an cant seem to find an ecu connector though.. ive heard how they are rediculously exspensive. if anyone has a mangled harness they ont need ill take it off your hands if it means an easier wiring job.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Have you tried Speartech?

Rick
Old 12-14-2006, 08:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ricksvt
Have you tried Speartech?

Rick
$$$ and i believe john only does ls2 harnesses now. least thats what i read on here.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Give them a call, it never hurts.

Rick
Old 12-14-2006, 10:00 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
$$$ and i believe john only does ls2 harnesses now. least thats what i read on here.
Where did you see that? I know that he is doing a lot of LS2/LS7 stuff now, but he still does the LS1 harnesses.

What I had read was that he stopped doing direct plug in harnesses for cars that he has not already done. It takes a lot of time to research what wires you need to tap into on each and every car, and with the new LS2 conversions coming out he didn`t have the time. He will still handle the LS1 engine side of the harness, but he didn`t want to have his people making adapter harnesses to plug directly into the conversion vehicles fuse box, dashboard, chassis harness etc.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:24 PM
TECH Regular

http://www.eficonnection.com

they have every square inch of the GM harness
Old 12-14-2006, 10:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by G-Body
Where did you see that? I know that he is doing a lot of LS2/LS7 stuff now, but he still does the LS1 harnesses.

What I had read was that he stopped doing direct plug in harnesses for cars that he has not already done. It takes a lot of time to research what wires you need to tap into on each and every car, and with the new LS2 conversions coming out he didn`t have the time. He will still handle the LS1 engine side of the harness, but he didn`t want to have his people making adapter harnesses to plug directly into the conversion vehicles fuse box, dashboard, chassis harness etc.
ooo i just misinterpreted.. but yea, its money that i dont have. so i will either find a mangled stocker or build my own and map it as i go. (im one of those people that tends to over complicate things sometimes)
datboi- thats perfect. thank you
Old 12-14-2006, 11:14 PM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

I have a feeling after you buy all the connectors you will have been dollars ahead to just buy a used harness from somebody then modify it. I got my harness for around $100.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

DON'T try to make one from scratch. bad idea. hack up an existing harness.

Reasons why:
1. cheaper. you will not be able to buy all the connectors for cheaper
2. proper. gm made it right the first time. you may "upgrade" a little (ie, heavier gage wires for fuel pump, etc. but overall, it's done right. also, the color coding can be immensely useful. also, what if some mechanic (other than yourself) works on the car?
3. easier. it's already made... just splice here and there. it's been done many times and there are even ~$100 kits on ebay (not 100% on them as i have not used one).

I thought about doing a fully custom harness and came to the above conclusions. You may find differently, but I doubt it...
Old 12-15-2006, 01:03 AM
TECH Veteran

well, if i can find one, then ill probably use it. everyone just wnts to sell theres with the damn motor. ive been haveing no luck hence why i came up with hte idea of just makeing one.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:22 AM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

Ya that is true it took me a while to come up with mine but I was finally able to ****** up one.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by datboibrad
http://www.eficonnection.com

they have every square inch of the GM harness
Has anyone used them for an LSX harness? Nice site, how's their quality/customer support?

Andy1
Old 12-15-2006, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

i got my c5 harness for $100 from lingenfelter. a STEAL, i think. in either case, troll around the for-sale section and make a "favorite search" in ebay. you'll get a harness for < $200 in not too long.

conversion harnesses are pricey, but worth if it you don't know how (or don't want to) to splice wires.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by nycab
i got my c5 harness for $100 from lingenfelter. a STEAL, i think. in either case, troll around the for-sale section and make a "favorite search" in ebay. you'll get a harness for < $200 in not too long.

conversion harnesses are pricey, but worth if it you don't know how (or don't want to) to splice wires.
i know how to and have spliced wires. splicings no problem, paying big bucks for a conversion setup is...lol.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

heh, i wasn't implying anything, just stating my opinion. For the record, though, a lot of guys doing conversions wouldn't gasp at paying $400 or so for a harness. Getting the car done right and fast are is their priority, not necessarily saving money. For me, the experience more than makes up for the lost time.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by nycab
heh, i wasn't implying anything, just stating my opinion. For the record, though, a lot of guys doing conversions wouldn't gasp at paying $400 or so for a harness. Getting the car done right and fast are is their priority, not necessarily saving money. For me, the experience more than makes up for the lost time.
i knw wht u mean. i just wanna save money where i can. i know i could splice in a stocker no problem. granted i might have trouble making my own outright, but if it came down to it, i could pull it off.

speaking of which... anyone have a stock 99+ standard trans ls1 harness?
Old 12-17-2006, 01:18 AM
TECH Regular

why not just get a used harness for lets say 100 bux and just go from there? atleast thats what the 240 guys have been doing all this time.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

i think its more cost effective to make your own harness using a factory harness to cut up and splice. i like doing wiring so ill spend tons of time making it just how i want it. plus by the time you buy all the connectors and proper color wires and stuff you could have just picked up a custom harness.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:52 AM
Teching In

Getting the wiring right is maybe the single hardest part of a swap, and the thing that separates the hack jobs from the cars that look and run like factory. If you can buy a good quality harness, thats great, but if its anything less then hell might as well do it yourself, but I would still want a factory harness to work from and borrow connectors.

Whats tempting to me is to splice up a factory harness, get it actually working, then make a wiring jig using that harness and make a new harness as clean as possible with the best new wires etc.

IMHO how to save a few hundred bucks is to forget about doing a swap and drive a Honda. Most of us need to watch our budgets close, but not buying some things no matter what they cost can kill the final product. Swap cars with flakey electricals are called forsale best offer.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:57 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.currentperformance.com/Ac...iring_acc.html

Good prices here

Quick Reply: Engine Harness from Scratch?