Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 for my 66 nova

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 for my 66 nova

I am about to pull the trigger on getting an LS1 out of a 2000 SS w/80k. I will be putting it into my 66 Nova. My question is, are there any advantages to getting a 2001 or newer motor besides the LS6 intake? The cost is 3500.00 and I'm just wondering if I should hold out for a newer motor or just go with this one. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

not really, you might be able to get a better price. when you do get it get everything.. engine, trans, radiator, computer, condensor, all accessories-- alternator, ac, starter, steering pump (get complete engine)
Old 02-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply mullenh,

The condenser and radiator are the only two things this setup doesn't have; I neglected to mention it comes with an A4. I'm gonna offer the guy 3000.00 but if I have to pay the 3500.00 I will.

Looks like a nice setup in your tempest, how long did it take to get it up and running?
Old 02-04-2007, 01:47 AM
Teching In

Are ya thinkin about a new front clip or stock? I gotta '65 with a 5.3 and 4L60E. I get on here everynow and then, I'm over in Iraq right now. If you have any questions hit me up and I'll let ya know everything I know about this swap. Good luck

Hoop

Old 02-04-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 408 SS
Thanks for the reply mullenh,

The condenser and radiator are the only two things this setup doesn't have; I neglected to mention it comes with an A4. I'm gonna offer the guy 3000.00 but if I have to pay the 3500.00 I will.

Looks like a nice setup in your tempest, how long did it take to get it up and running?
(Thanks man I really enjoy it now.) How long did it take?
that is hard to say exactly. we took the body off the frame and put it on a new one then replace all of the floor pans changed the suspension to coil overs upgraded the brakes to disk redo the dash with new gauges..that took about 4 months working on it when we could. if i had to guess i would say the engine/trans computer etc and all the hook ups and problems such as the power steering going from metric hose to SAE.. took about 2 week or 8 days. When we were mocking it up we noticed that we had to cut my new floor pan and enlarge the tranny tunnel so the new larger 4l60e would fit by welding an extra piece all the way around it making it larger we also had to modify the fire wall slightly, notch the cross member so the ac compressor would clear etc...then get a drive shaft from a crown vic cut down etc... and a lot of other things i forgot like cutting out the radiator core support and building a new one..be sure you get the aftermarket engine mounts so you can mount that thing as low as possible. you eill absolutely have to modify the tranny tunnel, it is not a big deal just do it. if you dont the drive shat angle well be way out of tollerance and will vibrate till some thing breaks
forgive my typing i am to lazy to fix it and there are no letters on my key board

Last edited by mullenh; 02-04-2007 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:45 PM
Teching In

mellenh,

thats a lot of work you put in. at least you did it right the first time and can enjoy it now. you should post some pics when you get a chance.

kdawgmfic-

I'm planning on putting an aftermarket front clip, rear subframe and airbags all the way around. Still trying to figure out which parts will work together so any input from you would help a lot. I was thinking maybe TCI front clip(coilspring design), heidts rear subframe and air ride bags...what do you think?
Old 02-04-2007, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like a plan, got a money tree? if you can swing it and know some knowlegable pepes put rack and pinion in it to. that is my next mod, and i wish i had done it sooner.
i cannot post any pics they are all to big or something
Old 02-04-2007, 06:08 PM
Teching In

Lookin back I think I woulda went with a Heidt's front clip just for a lil more room between the frame rails for headers, but I have a TCI clip and will probly just weld up my own set when I get back. A stock camaro oil pan fits perfect, no modding required. A 4 link in the rear is in my plans also. The fuel tank is pretty easy to mod with an intake pump from tanks.inc. I will be using a vette filter/regulator for a single feed line to the fuel rails. I will also mod a stock harness I have several documents on it. If you need any of them let me know I can shoot you an email.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 408 SS
I am about to pull the trigger on getting an LS1 out of a 2000 SS w/80k. I will be putting it into my 66 Nova. My question is, are there any advantages to getting a 2001 or newer motor besides the LS6 intake? The cost is 3500.00 and I'm just wondering if I should hold out for a newer motor or just go with this one. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
One thing the 01 and newer would have is slightly bigger injectors. They are 28lbs and the 2000's are 26. $3500 might be a little high, but not too much, for the engine/tranny combo when you get everything to go with it.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
One thing the 01 and newer would have is slightly bigger injectors. They are 28lbs and the 2000's are 26. $3500 might be a little high, but not too much, for the engine/tranny combo when you get everything to go with it.
that is true but he is still well inside the duty cycle
Old 02-22-2007, 12:45 AM
12 Second Club

Well.....I wrecked my 98 z28 with 86000 on it.....sold my engine for 1500.....m6 tranny which had been rebuild like 4k back
Old 02-22-2007, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
one other thing too, he will use a 59 lb pressure regulator which will bump the injector to 32 lbs. enough for 400 hp

Quick Reply: LS1 for my 66 nova