Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 Fj40

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ls1 Fj40

anyone ever put an LS1 in an FJ40? i am almost ready to put my 427 in my car and i was trying to figure out what to do with the engine i was using now when i came up with the great idea of replacing the old SBC 350 in my toyota with my 411 RWHP ls1 engine.

As far as the engine fitting i know it wont be a problem but i MUST keep the truck 4x4 is where i am running into problems in my head. any ideas on what tranny/transfer case combo i could use? currently i have the stock 72 3 speed and transfer case with an adapter plate to fit to the 350. will that still work just with a different flywheel?
Old 08-14-2007, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slow95z
anyone ever put an LS1 in an FJ40? i am almost ready to put my 427 in my car and i was trying to figure out what to do with the engine i was using now when i came up with the great idea of replacing the old SBC 350 in my toyota with my 411 RWHP ls1 engine.

As far as the engine fitting i know it wont be a problem but i MUST keep the truck 4x4 is where i am running into problems in my head. any ideas on what tranny/transfer case combo i could use? currently i have the stock 72 3 speed and transfer case with an adapter plate to fit to the 350. will that still work just with a different flywheel?
Should still work since the bolt patterns are the same, just need the correct flywheel and motor mounts.

I would be more worried about the HP braking something. You best bet is a built 4l60E and a NP241 transfercase. Or a NV4500 and you choice transfer case (NP205) or atlas if you have the cash.

But if you upgrade the trans and transfer case that only moves the problems to the axles and wheels, which you will brake if its the stock yota stuff.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Does your adapter use a Chevy bellhousing? If so, it is a simple matter of figuring out the right clutch/flywheel combo.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bo185
...I would be more worried about the HP braking something. You best bet is a built 4l60E and a NP241 transfercase. Or a NV4500 and you choice transfer case (NP205) or atlas if you have the cash.

But if you upgrade the trans and transfer case that only moves the problems to the axles and wheels, which you will brake if its the stock yota stuff.
I would also be worried about the LS1 breaking something. I hear the front and rear ends are pretty strong, the weak link is the transmission and transfer case. A 4L60-E would be a good idea but the NP241 would be a no-go. The rear end is offset to the passenger side, so the stock transfer case is needed.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

What kind of torque is the stock t-case rated for? There aren't too many pass side offset t-cases that come out of larger vehicles. I think international had one in the 70's and, IIRC, land rover is currently using one.

Both would make a pretty difficult conversion.

EDIT: The older Quadra-trac cases had a passenger offset, and it came mated to a TH400 from 73-79. The only problem (Other than rarity) is that it was all wheel drive.

Last edited by Rhino; 08-14-2007 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by xXxSilveradoxXx
I would also be worried about the LS1 breaking something. I hear the front and rear ends are pretty strong, the weak link is the transmission and transfer case. A 4L60-E would be a good idea but the NP241 would be a no-go. The rear end is offset to the passenger side, so the stock transfer case is needed.
He could just swap to a 14 bolt rear and dana 60 front! Problem solved!
Old 08-14-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Veteran

i would be worried about the thing popping wheelies. I saw one with a Gen-1 400-something in it once... thing was stupid quick.

EDIT: Oh, hell, that thing has the stock 3-speed in it? I bet it'll eat that up in a hurry. But, I wouldn't know.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bo185
He could just swap to a 14 bolt rear and dana 60 front! Problem solved!
That's actually my plan for mine!
TT LQ4> 4L80-E> NP241> 14-Bolt FF and a Dana 60
I would have suggested the 14-Bolt (or any center pumpkin rear diff) with a Dana 60/44 but I didn't know if he wanted to replace basically the whole running gear!
Old 08-14-2007, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

What's the budget?

Like the others said, there's more to upgrade then just the trans and t-case. Pretty much the whole drivetrain would need some serious upgrading, axles & drivelines to go with a new trans and t-case.

Honestly anything is really possible. How about a new trans, TH350 with a D300 or NP205? Atlas? Stak? There are so many possibilities it's crazy.

I am in the process of doing a LS1/700R4/Atlas, with front and rear HP Solid axle 60's. Check out my buld thread and you can see where doing that swap might take you...if you want to make all that power usable
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...5&page=1&pp=20

If not, I have a good place I can put that LS1 for ya.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by xXxSilveradoxXx
That's actually my plan for mine!
TT LQ4> 4L80-E> NP241> 14-Bolt FF and a Dana 60
I would have suggested the 14-Bolt (or any center pumpkin rear diff) with a Dana 60/44 but I didn't know if he wanted to replace basically the whole running gear!

got any pics of your Cruiser? Ever heard of CRAWL Magazine?

Hyjack off...sorry.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:45 PM
Teching In

i've had lots of experience w/ landcruisers and a little w/ ls1's and seriously, you do not want to put that stock 3 speed tranny behind the ls1, or the '3 speed tcase' for that matter. the '3 speed cases' are more brittle than the '4 speed' tcase and it'll crack and/or split if you wheel it enough... if i were you, i'd use your ls1 and mate it up to a 4x4 transmission and transfer case from a gmc pickup or suv w/ a vortec (lsx motor). i know the rear is offset, but you could easily grab a centered rear axle from a toyota pickup (79-85 rears are 55" wide iirc) which is the same width as the stock tlc front. you can usually pick those up for around 100 bucks or less, then redrill the flange for your driveshaft pattern. plus the mini truck axles do not use c-clips to hold the shafts in.

just a thought!
Old 08-15-2007, 02:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by V8TJ
got any pics of your Cruiser? Ever heard of CRAWL Magazine?

Hyjack off...sorry.
Never heard of CRAWL magazine, I'll have to check it out! Here are some pics. I'm still getting all the parts together so don't expect much!

Originally Posted by C for Chevelle
i've had lots of experience w/ landcruisers and a little w/ ls1's and seriously, you do not want to put that stock 3 speed tranny behind the ls1, or the '3 speed tcase' for that matter. the '3 speed cases' are more brittle than the '4 speed' tcase and it'll crack and/or split if you wheel it enough... if i were you, i'd use your ls1 and mate it up to a 4x4 transmission and transfer case from a gmc pickup or suv w/ a vortec (lsx motor). i know the rear is offset, but you could easily grab a centered rear axle from a toyota pickup (79-85 rears are 55" wide iirc) which is the same width as the stock tlc front. you can usually pick those up for around 100 bucks or less, then redrill the flange for your driveshaft pattern. plus the mini truck axles do not use c-clips to hold the shafts in.

just a thought!
That's a good idea!!!
LS1> 4X4 Transmission> GM truck transfer case> Stock Front End and Toyota Pickup Rear End
slow95z, if I was doing a build and didn't want to swap out Chevrolet Front and Rear Ends and also didn't want to worry about **** breaking, I would do that!
Old 08-15-2007, 07:04 AM
On The Tree

Check these out, http://www.tlc4x4.com/FJ40_74.htm http://www.tlcicon.com/

Cool Land Cruiser site with all kinds of Gen 3 swaps.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

The offset rear axle makes no difference, assuming there is enough wheelbase. My Cherokee had a Quadratrac case in it, and has an offset rear dif. I am now running a NP241, which has a centered output, with the offset rear, and have no issues.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:28 AM
Teching In

wheelbase could be a limiting factor depending on where you mount your motor.. i had a sbc 350 in my cruiser w/ 700r4 and stock 3 speed case using a large Advance Adapter adapter and i had an 18" or so driveshaft... you can flip your springs around in the rear to gain an extra 3" and it'l still look pretty normal in relation to the wheelwell... then again, i had a huge *** adapter that added considerable length.. if you go w/ a gm tranny and tcase behind the ls1 i think you'll be fine
Old 08-15-2007, 10:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by C for Chevelle
wheelbase could be a limiting factor depending on where you mount your motor.. i had a sbc 350 in my cruiser w/ 700r4 and stock 3 speed case using a large Advance Adapter adapter and i had an 18" or so driveshaft... you can flip your springs around in the rear to gain an extra 3" and it'l still look pretty normal in relation to the wheelwell... then again, i had a huge *** adapter that added considerable length.. if you go w/ a gm tranny and tcase behind the ls1 i think you'll be fine
That just means he gets to back half it, stretch it, and throw in a 4 link
Old 08-15-2007, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

well i have a nice 350 with sportsman II heads thats making an estimated 400 HP and so far everything has been fine just the engine is wore out and my LS1 is fine so i was just wanting to stick it in there. i am using the advance adapters kit to put a standard SBC to the stock 3 speed using a standard bellhousing, 10 spline clutch and about a 1.5 inch spacer. it worked fine for years and my budget is basically 500 bucks or less. i dont wanna drop a ton of cash into the thing which is why i thought about using my ls1 that i was gonna just sell. i have a wore out engine i could just rebuild but the LS1 is just cooler looking under the hood
Old 08-16-2007, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

Since you are using a Chevy bellhousing, its a pretty easy swap. The flywheel sits .400" closer to the engine in an LSx than a SBC. You will have to compensate for this. In my case, I used a longer throw out bearing assembly. Use the same clutch assembly you have now with a GTO (LS2) flywheel. You will also need a special pilot bearing (PN 12557583), which in nothing more than a standard sealed ball bearing.

Another approach is to use PN 12561680 flywheel. I assume this flywheel is thicker than the GTO flywheel, but it is a bit pricey. Using this flywheel, you should be able to use a standard throw out bearing.

You will need to make up adapter plates to mount your conversion motor mounts to the LS1. Some 1/4" plate from Lowe's and a drill will get you there.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Check out a company called Wolf Creek Rod works. I have sold him a few engines and he swaps eveything from ramjets to gen III/IV engines into old FJ40's.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Regular

yeah, i went to the site and they do all kinds of neat swaps but it looks like this is going to be more money than i want to spend so i might just rebuild the 350 in there and sell my LS1. oh well, cant win them all.

Quick Reply: Ls1 Fj40