Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

merit in buying v-6 camaro and swapping 6.0 iron in?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default merit in buying v-6 camaro and swaping 6.0 iron?

What would you guys think about me buying a v-6 camaro and putting a 6.0 iron block in it rather than buying a SS?

What all is involved in the swap, besides the tranny and engine itself? Would I need to change electronics, or just use ls1 edit or something to that effect? What all is different in the v-6 car? springs? rearend? etc?

I mean say that I can find a nice v-6 for 7k, and put 12k into a motor, trans, rear, etc? am I better off than just ponying up the 20k for a 2000+ SS?

How hard is the swap? Ive done both an engine swap and a tranny swap on my old dodge ram, and have access to a hangar worth of tools to do the swap in, but I do not have extensive knowledge with the ls1.

And will it pass smog in CA?

Thanks for the reality check on a dream

-Jason
Old 07-14-2003, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: merit in buying v-6 camaro and swaping 6.0 iron?

And will it pass smog in CA?

You better ask the emmisions ****'s if you're allowed to do the swap before anything else...something tells me they'll say NEIN!!

Sounds like a pretty hellish project to me - but anything is possible
Old 07-14-2003, 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

You better ask the emmisions ****'s if you're allowed to do the swap before anything else...something tells me they'll say NEIN!!

Sounds like a pretty hellish project to me - but anything is possible
haha, Grey Davis will send some henchmen after me then throw my parents off their land, claiming it is breeding ground for endangered kangaroo rats (which by the way there are about 1000000000000000000000 of in the desert).

I figured it would be a huge project, but then I get a new motor, fresh tranny, and I can build it strong from the start.

Im just trying to figure out how huge a project I am talking about.

-Jason
Old 07-14-2003, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Start with the "best" car you can afford. Projects like this can get to be overwhelming. The less work you have to do (or, the more "work" you buy already done....like a V8 car), the better the odds of it getting finished. I'm not saying you can't do it (I've been there), but I have gutted one, caged it, fuel cell, weight jacks, solid roller, etc and it was a lot of work....The less wiring headaches you have, the better (unless you are an engineer and like that stuff, and this is coming from an Avionics Technician...). Just my thoughts....good luck!!!!

Quick Reply: merit in buying v-6 camaro and swapping 6.0 iron in?