Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Vert chassis reinforcement, x-brace, SFC

Old 02-22-2007, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vert chassis reinforcement, x-brace, SFC

Researching the best way to stiffen my '99 T/A WS6 6-speed T56 convertible, I am seeing things that aren't completely explained and don't make sense.

Some convertibles apparently came with some kind of x-brace. My '99 has no x-brace that I can see. It has a fairly common looking tunnel cross brace that sits under the exhaust and doesn't look like it does much else. It is held on with 2 bolts at each end. Then there is the transmission mount that crosses the tunnel.

I wanted to add a BMR driveshaft safety loop, but it says it is not designed for convertibles. Maybe it won't fit the x-brace type car, but it looks like it would bolt in just like the tunnel brace on my car. Ths SLP brace/driveshaft loop looks the same more or less as the BMR, and it supposedly fits convertibles.

I know that the convertibles have factory welded-in subframe connectors that seem like extra floor pans. Some companies make additional bolt-in or weld-in SFC.

Questions:
1. Does anyone actually know what cars have the x-brace?
2. Are they only on automatic convertibles?
3. Will the x-brace bolt onto a manual car for improved stiffness?
4. If anyone has pictures of the underside of their convertibles, autos and manuals, different years, we can maybe understand this situation.

Unfortunately, I didn't take too many overall pics of my car before I removed the parts and the tranny and the exhaust. I am trying to stiffen it up now before I put it back together if anyone has any good input. I will not put in a rollbar or weld-in SFC, but I may add bolt-in SFC's.

As soon as I figure out how to attach photo's, I will attach a couple pictures of the bottom of my car. One photo you can see the trans mount and the cross brace. The other photo shows after the removal of the parts. You can see where the cross brace bolts on.
Attached Thumbnails Vert chassis reinforcement, x-brace, SFC-img_2758.jpg   Vert chassis reinforcement, x-brace, SFC-img_2984.jpg  
Old 02-22-2007, 03:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My '02 A4 had it. There may be the exhaust differences
'98-'99/'00-'02 in there. The X-brace interferes with any
exhaust other than the stocker, needed beating for the
SLP Y and deleting for the long tube headers.

Your crossmember is different than mine, the 'vert A4 X
bolts to the top of the crossmember body and I have
no tang projecting like you show.

I found eliminating made a tiny bit more flex through the
midsection but this is not a really stout piece to begin
with (and forget the SLP replacement version, it's more
of a joke and as prone to interfere, just in different
spots). SFCs would be superior.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

so if im putting qtp's lts in my a4 00 ws6 im gonna have to remove the x-brace?
Old 02-23-2007, 05:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A4 have a x-brace, M6 just a streight metal sheet.
you can fit the M6 piece on a A4, but not the opposite.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:46 AM
Teching In

PHP Code:
A4 have a x-braceM6 just a streight metal sheet.
you can fit the M6 piece on a A4but not the opposite
That's what I figured must be going on. Although I'm not too familiar with the x-brace, it sure sounds like it would be stiffer than my little cross brace.

I wonder:
1. Could an x-brace be modified to fit an M6 vert?
2. Does that mean that all the driveshaft safety loops (like BMR) will fit an M6 convertible and not an A4 convertible? BMR states that theirs won't fit convertibles.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by markyf
PHP Code:
A4 have a x-braceM6 just a streight metal sheet.
you can fit the M6 piece on a A4but not the opposite
That's what I figured must be going on. Although I'm not too familiar with the x-brace, it sure sounds like it would be stiffer than my little cross brace.

I wonder:
1. Could an x-brace be modified to fit an M6 vert?
2. Does that mean that all the driveshaft safety loops (like BMR) will fit an M6 convertible and not an A4 convertible? BMR states that theirs won't fit convertibles.
I had to remove mine for the headers and y-pipe. I didnt really see much of a difference, its just a thin piece of sheetmetal in an X configuration. I think you would be much better off with subframe connectors.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

IMO, The stock x-brace is worthless. You can get a two piece driveshft loop and not put in the loop portion. I thought BMR made one for the verts, but I haven't looked in a long time.

I'm not sure why you won't install weld in SFC, but they make the biggest improvement. I have BMRs and UMI is coming out with ones that look like the old KBDD which include the triangle braces. A strut tower brace helps a bit in addition to SFCs.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:00 PM
Teching In

My biggest roadblock is that SCCA Solo II autocross ESP class won't allow most of these mods. I could get away with using the x-brace if it fit and added any improvement. I probably can't add SFC, especially weld-in types.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to remove the X brace. It's hard to believe the piece could do anything but add weight.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a Lakewood driveshaft loop in the rear "tunnel
brace" position and it fits fine. It's the front brace that
had to go, for exhaust.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I removed mine and coud feel a difference... not too big, but the car felt more "elastic"
Old 03-06-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

The area in blue are all the areas that are added in a convertibel 98-02. The area in red is some of what is added inside the convertible. The coupe cars do not have these sections.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mark A. Rogalski
The area in blue are all the areas that are added in a convertibel 98-02. The area in red is some of what is added inside the convertible. The coupe cars do not have these sections.

Very cool photos. thanks. This is the first time someone ever spelled it out like this. Awesome.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:26 AM
Teching In

Those are excellent pictures and information. I didn't know all that detail.
By the way, where do you get the oval exhaust pipe and is it aluminized or Stainless? I am just now installing Kook's headers and I need to do the exhaust.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

I've got a 97' 30th anniversary SS 6 speed convertible. Purchased a cross brace and SFC's from Don Goetz. Had them done in Hugger Orange to match the stripes on the car. Couple photos....
Attached Thumbnails Vert chassis reinforcement, x-brace, SFC-tailpanel-005.jpg   Vert chassis reinforcement, x-brace, SFC-tailpanel-008.jpg   Vert chassis reinforcement, x-brace, SFC-photoshoot-008.jpg   Vert chassis reinforcement, x-brace, SFC-photoshoot-002.jpg  
Old 03-08-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by markyf
Those are excellent pictures and information. I didn't know all that detail.
By the way, where do you get the oval exhaust pipe and is it aluminized or Stainless? I am just now installing Kook's headers and I need to do the exhaust.
You make it! It's all hand made. You can read more about in my thread on the exhaust

True Duals over the axle WS6
Old 03-09-2007, 08:30 PM
Launching!

Those reinforcements along the pinch weld (typically where SFCs go) look pretty rigid. I bet those could be added to coupe/t-top cars. I already have BMR boxed SFCs, but mine do not weld to the floorboard and pinch weld... only to two points on the chassis. Mark, could you please take more pictures closeup of these 'factory SFCs" and send them to me?? I wonder how hard it would be to remove those from a junkyard convertible.

On the interior shot, the side to side bracing at the bottom of the picture looks like it's part of the stamping. You're saying that's not like that on t-top/coupe cars??

Can you take more pics of all those reinforcements and post them or send them to me??

Thanks,
Jim
Old 03-10-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by vtirocz
Those reinforcements along the pinch weld (typically where SFCs go) look pretty rigid. I bet those could be added to coupe/t-top cars. I already have BMR boxed SFCs, but mine do not weld to the floorboard and pinch weld... only to two points on the chassis. Mark, could you please take more pictures closeup of these 'factory SFCs" and send them to me?? I wonder how hard it would be to remove those from a junkyard convertible.

On the interior shot, the side to side bracing at the bottom of the picture looks like it's part of the stamping. You're saying that's not like that on t-top/coupe cars??

Can you take more pics of all those reinforcements and post them or send them to me??

Thanks,
Jim
Jim. give me a week or so. I am refinishing the entire underside. Don't let the pictures fool you. It is pretty thin metal on these convertible braces.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:47 PM
ino
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the pics.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone have pics of the x brace ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vert chassis reinforcement, x-brace, SFC