Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

I broke my top because I didn't research on here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Default I broke my top because I didn't research on here.

So I replaced my busted factory speakers with these big bad *** speakers. It sounds great but when I went to let my top down, you guessed it, (((POP))). The top hit the speakers and it binded up. Now my top doesn't let down. The motor works but nothing happens. Where do I begin to look for the problem?
Old 06-23-2011, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Does your top still go up and down manually? Or is the frame mechanism bent or broken somehow that prevents the top from extending / retracting as it would normally?

If the top frame is intact and still goes up and down manually, the probem is probably in either your hydraulic cylinders or the plumbing. Check to be sure the cylinders are still attached properly to the top frame and check the plumbing for leaks or a busted hose / fitting. Is possible that the pressure encountered when the top contacted the speakers may have increased pressure in the system and blew off a hose. If that is the case, you probably have a puddle of fluid somewhere.

Also check to make sure you are not low on fluid in the pump resevoir. Use mineral oil to fill up once you find the problem.

Good luck.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Per GM, the proper fluid is a ten-weight SAE oil.

See Service VME - Convertible Top Hydraulic Fluid #PI00386 - (Aug 14, 2002), Document ID# 911168.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

It still let's up and down manually. I will check that stuff and let you know what I find.

Quick Reply: I broke my top because I didn't research on here.