Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Putting the Rear Window in the Soft Top

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 11:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting the Rear Window in the Soft Top

So I bought a 95 z28 M6 vert about a month ago. The car has been garaged and taken care of really well. The top looks brand new, BUT the rear window has issues. The guy I bought it from put that BS plastic glass in the back. The kind that Jeep Wranglers and stuff have. He did it because the original back glass broke loose from its glue, and it was a quick cheap replacement. But thats my issue, it looks CHEAP. I have the original back glass. My question is what kind of glue can I use to put the glass back in. I've heard that hot glue works good. I was thinking of using F26 constuction glue. When I was in the construction industry, we used that stuff on EVERYTHING. Its like concrete. Never comes off. But we never used it on glass or fabric. Just wondering if maybe anyone has a good idea on a glue or method to put the original glass back in?
Old 07-29-2011, 07:20 PM
Teching In

hey man i tried 3M window weld and it worked but only in some areas
maybe i should have cleaned the area better.
check out this post https://ls1tech.com/forums/convertib...cloth-top.html
Old 07-29-2011, 08:47 PM
Teching In

I would just suggest getting it done right the first time. I know that chevycamarorules fix works. But, you have to ask yourself just how patient and careful you WILL be when doing this. Chances are you'll spend the money (& time) to try out this fix and then it either a.) comes out the way you want AND lasts for a considerable amount of time b.) looks like sh*t and your worse off than you started or c.) Looks good but doesnt last.

If you can say that you will take the time and prep everything properly. Buy enough clamps to apply enough pressure. Have enough slack in the material to allow for contact on all sides of the glass. ETC. Then go for it. Otherwise I would just go get quotes from a shop and have it done right.

I just did mine this week and in Long Beach it cost me $350 for the part and the install. It was done in about 3 hours and looks and works/looks like it should.

Just my $.02
Old 08-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Launching!

I got a quote for 250 but it seems so simple that I just figured I'd do it myself. I know that I will put the proper time/work in. But I am seriously considering letting an upholstery shop do it just for the added security. If they mess it up, I can make them fix it. If I mess it up I'm just SOL.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Damn it's like this glue holding the glass had a life span. Mine is coming apart alsO
Old 08-31-2011, 07:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, seems common. Mine came apart too. I used a 3m glue compound. Ain't the prettiest damn thing but it works for now till I can have it done properly

Quick Reply: Putting the Rear Window in the Soft Top