Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Replacing an entire convertible top questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 11:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing an entire convertible top questions

My wife's 95 Z vert has busted the cheap plastic ends on the bow links. It looks like those parts are specific to just a couple of years. I have gotten the bow links from a 2000, and they are definitely different. It looks like somewhere along the way, GM either changed the vendors they used to manufacture the tops, or there were some specific upgrades done to fix some problems.

I suspect the change was sometime around the time they started using LS* V8s in these cars, but am not sure. Anyway, I'm wondering if it's possible to replace the entire top, fabric cover, headliner, framework, mechanisms, etc., from a later model into a 95. Or are the tops that much different they just won't work? I feel it may be easier to just get a complete top and replace it, than to try to locate the bow links, and hope that they: 1. aren't already broken/bent, and 2. last a while. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

From everything that I've read, yes.

If you do this, please post pics and walk through; maybe it could be made into a sticky
Old 11-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can do that. I'm waiting for the top, and the seller is waiting until he gets more interior stuff sold off his car before he opens the car up by pulling the top off.