Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

4th Gen FBody Vert Owners - Need Visual Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4th Gen FBody Vert Owners - Need Visual Help

Over a year ago I had the end break off one of the links that is in the frame of the convertible top directly over the windows. These links make the first bow from the front fold up correctly when the top is being let down. I finally snagged a couple of the pieces that I broke and but my links back on, but the drivers side one keeps popping off when I try to let the top down. I noticed that the rods are shaped a little different instead of both sides being identical, so I am not sure if I have them on the correct sides. Before I keep playing around with this and end up breaking another piece, can someone do a visual comparison of what yours look like compared to my pics. First pic is driver side, second is passenger side.
Attached Thumbnails 4th Gen FBody Vert Owners - Need Visual Help-thomasville-20120422-00022.jpg   4th Gen FBody Vert Owners - Need Visual Help-thomasville-20120422-00023.jpg  
Old 04-22-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It is not readily apparent in the photos, but one of the rods has an extra bend in it about halfway. Which side is it supposed to go on? And each rod has a bend about an inch from the ball socket on one end. I have that end toward the front on each side. Is that correct?
Old 04-22-2012, 06:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Sorry I can't help but I did go out to my car with camera in hand. There was some type of covering (or protective piece) in that area and I wasn't about to take it apart. Maybe the '01 body style is made a bit different than the '96. I hope someone else can assist you. Good luck!
Old 04-25-2012, 12:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, it takes a few minutes to get to it. You just pull off the rubber seal, remove the screws that hold the channel that the rubber seal was in and remove it, then there are three screws that hold the trim piece that covers the linkage. It takes about 5 minutes to remove it. The only tricky part is getting the rubber seal back in its channel when you start to put it back together. You have to take a butter knife or something else dull and push in along the edge of the rubber seal to get the lip of it back in place.

I understand about not wanting to tackle it.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

Are you talking about the bow right above the rear window? If so the top is usually two pieces the back window and the rest of the top. When installing a new top that bow height needs to be set to a certain height. This allows the top to work properly. Then the rest of the top is put on. There is a bow that the back which is held on with nuts. You have to remove that part of the top which allows access to set the bow height. It is not easy and it helps to have 2 people. That bow is removed by one of the sides and you work it out. You really need to know what you are doing. If you do not think you can handle it look for a local auto upholster. Your pics do not really show where you are. I can not tell from those pics but I will help you if you give more info.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by reelnauti
Are you talking about the bow right above the rear window? If so the top is usually two pieces the back window and the rest of the top. When installing a new top that bow height needs to be set to a certain height. This allows the top to work properly. Then the rest of the top is put on. There is a bow that the back which is held on with nuts. You have to remove that part of the top which allows access to set the bow height. It is not easy and it helps to have 2 people. That bow is removed by one of the sides and you work it out. You really need to know what you are doing. If you do not think you can handle it look for a local auto upholster. Your pics do not really show where you are. I can not tell from those pics but I will help you if you give more info.
The pics are right above the door windows, driver side and passenger side. This has nothing to do with the bows.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen FBody Vert Owners - Need Visual Help