Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Rear window separation+small hole= what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Rear window separation+small hole= what do I do?

Hey all, got an 02 Z28 Convertible

I just noticed on my drive to work today that at highway speeds I'm getting a slapping noise from the rear of the car. Took a look and found that the outer portion of the top (not sure if it's canvas or what, if anyone knows what hte factory material is that would be fantastic) is not attached to the glass window, causing the noise.

I'm not sure if it was supposed to be attached and it just let go, or if the outer portion was never attached. I see no signs of glue or adhesive on it so... if you guys know that would be great.

But on top of that, as I looked at it I did see a small hole just below the window (which means it's been leaking. Yay) and on top of that, on the lower passenger corner, the inner portion of the top appears to have separated from the window.

So my question is this, what's the best course of action? Can I patch the hole? (it's only maybe a half inch in length) and re-glue the separated portion of the window? (If anybody knows what the material of the inner portion is that would be great as well)

Would I be better off replacing it? And if so, can I replace just the window portion or does the whole top have to go? It's black and still in pretty good condition (for 150K anyway) and I'd like to save on the expense if I can.

And lastly, if replacing is the route I have to go, can anyone point me in the direction of a good quality replacement? I did a quick search on eBay and they seem to have whole tops for about 400, which seems extremely cheap and would have me worried about fitment and the like. So if someone knows of a place that strikes a good balance between cheap and OEM quality that would be fantastic. Thanks!
Old 08-04-2014, 03:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 439 Likes on 317 Posts

Without seeing your car I would guess a new top is in order with what you describe and the 150k miles on the car.
Haartz cloth is the material our 'verts were made with.
Replacing the top professionally will run you $1,000+. If you can do it yourself (not easy despite what some posters claim) it would be much less. It all depends if you want to sink that kind of money into the car. Only you can answer that. If you are going to keep the Z28, hopefully for many years, I would choose to do it right. Cheap tops are always available but you get what you pay for. It might look strange or fit funny and it probably won't be Haartz material.
I would NOT go that route and would rather take the Z28 to a reputable shop in your area and get it fixed (if possible) for a few hundred dollars.
Best of luck!
Old 08-04-2014, 04:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I repaired my window to outer top (bottom of glass) overlap w/ a bead of black silicone sealant. Mine was also flapping making noise at highway speeds. I made this repair over a year ago and it still looks good and is sealed perfectly.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I suppose I mis-spoke when I said the convertible top was good for a car with 150K. There are no rough spots or signs of wear on it, the only thing I can see is there are strips in front of or behind the bows that feel different (and seem to absorb water differently, as they're a different color when wet).

I did notice upon a closer inspection that the inner window piece seems to have several holes forming. There's the one that I already mentioned, but on upper portions of the piece I see several wear spots that appear to be close to going all the way through. My only guess is that these came from driving with the top down, and as the top shifted slightly the bows were rubbing on these spots.

So, NC, while I would love to replace both parts of the top, 1600+ for a replacement isn't in my books at the moment, (hell, I just plan on patching said holes for the moment anyway) and since the outer portion is still in pretty good condition, is it possible to replace just the window piece? (Better yet, is it possible to do this without having to pull the entire top off?)

Or am I just better off saving up the cash and doing the whole thing in one go (probably sometime next year if I'm lucky)
Old 08-05-2014, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

It's totally up to you how to proceed. As I mentioned, is this a car you plan on keeping for many years? How's the rest of the car in comparison? Very key questions IMO. If you don't see yourself in this car in 3 or 4 years, I would opt for the quicker fix, and you can either try a fix (like the one posted by idahoz28 above) or those few hundred bucks at your local shop (if it can be done).
Maybe someone else will chime in with some ideas too. This section is a tad slow since there aren't that many 'vert owners.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I do plan on keeping the car for a long time. As for the condition of the rest of the exterior, aside from some scratches and a couple tiny dings on the quarter panels, its in pretty good condition. Anyone know of a reputable place that you can purchase a replacement top so I could just take that to a shop and have them replace it?
Old 08-07-2014, 08:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Personally I have no recommendation but this link might be of some value. https://ls1tech.com/forums/convertib...tible-top.html

Quick Reply: Rear window separation+small hole= what do I do?