Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

High Rise Spoiler for Convertible Trans-Ams... Who is ready to buy?

Old 07-18-2015, 03:31 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default High Rise Spoiler for Convertible Trans-Ams... Who is ready to buy?

Based off the success of another enthusiast from a different forum, 2KBirdman, we're building a Trans Am High Rise Spoiler for a Convertible for a customer of ours.

We may make a few revisions (carry an inside line of the spoiler all the way to the side pieces instead of "blurring" them out) but for the most part it will look like this (AGAIN, this is the work of 2KBirdman, pics just used for reference and admiration)...

Best I can tell Birdman spent around $1000 just in body work. I believe it as you have to reform the entire trunk.

IF there is enough interest (we're talking 10 people ready to pay in advance, after they see the plug but before production starts, a discounted price) we'll mold it and make it.

This is just a feeler thread as there's really no way of knowing what something like this will cost. Can we make it one piece and still pull it out of a mold? Will it have to be two piece? If so will it still work and look right? Etc...

We're doing this either way for our customer but before we ship off was seeing if there was any interest in making a mold.

My best GUESS on price $1000-$1200. You have to understand it's a trunk (so complicated top and bottom mold) AND a Trans Am high rise spoiler (complicated top and bottom mold with lots of hard contours to get a mold to release off of) and on top of that we're trying to have one piece that does it all lol.

SO, is there even TEN convertible guys who WANT this part to exist let alone TEN who are willing to spend that on it?

Let me know...
Old 07-18-2015, 05:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I like it, but I am not sure that I like it enough to spend $1000-$1200.

Does it show up in primer or is it painted the OEM color of my car (arctic white)?
Old 07-18-2015, 06:06 AM
Banned

Primer. Color matching 13-22 year old cars is not an out of the box option.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

I also like the looks but I'm a 'stock' guy, so I'm out.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I like stock look
Old 07-19-2015, 07:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good
Old 07-19-2015, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

Well, I agree this is one of the better looking attempts at doing this that I've seen, maybe the best. However, I do agree that if the inside line of the uplift portion was kept "crisper" (not "blurred") right up to ~1/4" of where the deck lid meets the fender "winglet", it would be about perfect.

That said, its unfortunate that its taken 13 years after these cars ceased production for something like this to become available. Had any one of the various aftermarket hood companies been producing this since about a year after the first 'verts hit the market, I would've snatched one up for sure when I purchased my car or shortly afterwards when the "excitement factor" was still peaking. Because had that happened, whoever produced such a product certainly would've taken better advantage of the economies of scale and been able to produce it much more economically. I'm not being critical of 6LITEREATER, I'm just stating what I think is pretty obvious: Its going to be much harder to rally 10 people to put money down on something like this in 2015 than it would've been in 1995.

You don't mention what % of the ~$1000-1200 cost you are asking to have put down. You'd get quite a few more folks putting down a $100-$150 "deposit" than paying in full up front.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
Well, I agree this is one of the better looking attempts at doing this that I've seen, maybe the best. However, I do agree that if the inside line of the uplift portion was kept "crisper" (not "blurred") right up to ~1/4" of where the deck lid meets the fender "winglet", it would be about perfect.

That said, its unfortunate that its taken 13 years after these cars ceased production for something like this to become available. Had any one of the various aftermarket hood companies been producing this since about a year after the first 'verts hit the market, I would've snatched one up for sure when I purchased my car or shortly afterwards when the "excitement factor" was still peaking. Because had that happened, whoever produced such a product certainly would've taken better advantage of the economies of scale and been able to produce it much more economically. I'm not being critical of 6LITEREATER, I'm just stating what I think is pretty obvious: Its going to be much harder to rally 10 people to put money down on something like this in 2015 than it would've been in 1995.

You don't mention what % of the ~$1000-1200 cost you are asking to have put down. You'd get quite a few more folks putting down a $100-$150 "deposit" than paying in full up front.
Correct on all accounts. This and the Sunoco wide body are our last attempts to offer new products in this market. Not that we don't love the cars, but as you mentioned, we're better off doing new 5th and 6th Gen stuff.

The deposit would be the full amount for the same reason. Not going to invest in a mold that we'd need to sell 30 products at a higher price than the one posted to even break even if there aren't 10 guys ready to pay in full at a discount.

Everything we've looked into we're talking THREE pieces... Trunk. Spoiler. (as they can't be grafted together like that and come out of a mold) AND remake the brake light since we can't find a source. IT won't be cheap but we were looking at this and the Sunoco wide body as us closing the books on this chapter in 6LE. We REALLY want to see them all done but if no one is going to buy them then there's no point lol.

We will be doing the one off for the customer still though.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Thumbs up

I would love to have one, but like said before....I'm going to stay original. If I had a WS6 maybe. Good luck! I would really like to see these made even if I wouldn't be buying one.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Very surprised at the responses in here. I think it looks amazingly well done and is a great idea. If my Vert was a TA, I'd be all in but unfortunately it's a Camaro and my Bird is a T-top.

Sorry to see you leave the 4th gen market 6LiterEater, but I don't blame you one single bit. Time for you to go off and make some real money with the newer stuff!
Old 07-26-2015, 02:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what all is involved with buying it? Are you going to send a new deck lid, or would someone have to send you theirs for you to reshape? Whats the time frame you are looking at for deposit, production, and shipping times?

Very interested because this is something I have wanted since I got the car.

Should call it the /birdbath mod

Edit: can you post some side by side pics of this vs a traditional high rise spoiler? The only thing that looks kind of funky to me from the pics is the slope under the spoiler.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
So what all is involved with buying it? Are you going to send a new deck lid, or would someone have to send you theirs for you to reshape? Whats the time frame you are looking at for deposit, production, and shipping times?

Very interested because this is something I have wanted since I got the car.

Should call it the /birdbath mod

Edit: can you post some side by side pics of this vs a traditional high rise spoiler? The only thing that looks kind of funky to me from the pics is the slope under the spoiler.
It would be a complete replacement. You keep your decklid, we send you all new.

Right now we're still waiting on a piece then McNord's going to get started for the customer and we can post pics. If people like it we'll pop off a mold then get it all going...
Old 07-27-2015, 03:17 AM
TECH Resident

Will definitely keep an eye on this post waiting for updates
Old 09-21-2015, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

Has there been any progress on these spoiler's. I may be very intrested. Thanks
Old 09-21-2015, 10:10 PM
Banned

At a standstill right now thanks to the AZ heat...
Old 10-27-2015, 08:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default If production is approved

I have wanted a the high-lift TA spoiler on a convertible for years! Please let the forum members know if this goes into production. My car is 15 years old, and could use new paint anyway.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:43 AM
Banned

^^Still working on it lol...
Old 10-29-2015, 02:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Re-reading, this still very surprised at most of the responses. Man the general market sucks sometimes, this is why we can't have nice things.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Just curious... what is the one off costing?
Old 12-05-2015, 02:32 AM
Banned

Zero... ish lol.

It is for an uber patient customer with overlay issues so he is just supplying the parts and McNord is doing the work for no charge.

If people like it we'll mold and offer it for sale and give the customer a free production piece. If not McNord is making sure it is road worthy and will be sent back to the customer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: High Rise Spoiler for Convertible Trans-Ams... Who is ready to buy?