Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Most "solid" suspension you Vert guys are running?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 03:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

Default Most "solid" suspension you Vert guys are running?

Please post your set ups on your Verts... I am looking to build a SOLID suspension for mine. I purchased the car with the Pro Kit... Not sure which one.? Also Bilstein HD's.. BMR Weld in SFC's, BMR upper control arms, adj Lower control arms, adj phr, bigger rear sway bar... The ride is spongy, sloppy on rough bumpy roads. Rides and drives great on the highway. I need to stiffen it up.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Wow, 127 views and no response?
Old 01-03-2016, 10:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

A few members will post most likely. The weekends are slow and the convertible section even slower. I can't help you as I'm all 'stock'.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Read your other thread in the suspension section, Ill answer here but I don't want to butt in front of Sam, its best if you call him, and try and figure out what you currently have on your car now (you can measure that rear sway bar for example).
I highly doubt this is a "convertible thing", the other convertible owner in the thread has terrible terrible shocks on his car(also I think its a V6 car), so that's an apples to oranges comparison.
How do your bumpstops look? Are they rotting?
You said the suspension is only around 200 miles old according to the previous owner, does it look that new? I don't want to rule out that he could be lieing to you.

If you are running poly bushings in the rear LCA's, then those are certainly not helping the situation as poly binds.
What is your rear ride height at? Some prokits are known for rear spring sag, so that could also be hurting you.
Is this the first time you've have 17x11" wheels on the back of an fbody? Those will hurt ride somewhat and make the rear feel heavier as well, I know mine did, but I don't think those are the issue.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

FWIW, I have a 99 z28 vert w/125K + miles and is my daily driver. Have a bolt in SFC, stock front upper and lower control arms with original bushings and ball joints. Recently installed Strano springs and Koni Str.t's and new solid front and rear sway bars (UMI), and Founders adjustable PHB. Have old tubular rear control arms that will soon need new bushings. Also upgraded wheels from stock 16's to 17x9/17x11 with 275/40 fronts, 315/35 rear all season tires. Car rides like it's on rails and solid, very happy with mods. Had to roll the rear fenders and remove bump stops and a little bit of BFH on inner wheel well. Occasionally rub rear tires on fender when turning hard or hitting serious road bumps.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

suspension set up in sig. Car has ridiculous grip and no rubbing/bottoming out, ride could be better though.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Suspension is brand new w receipts, dates. Fenders have been professionally rolled, Bump stops are shaved evenly and are not rotted at all. I have ran 17x11's on numerous fbods.

The front seems to be stable (as in) no noise and tight. It is the rear that seems heavy, bouncy...( on rough roads,speed bumps,etc). I have to believe that it is the ProKit that is on the car... This car was very well taken care of. Uber clean underneath, nice clean install w suspension. I "may" simply purchase some springs ( either the Strano's, BMR's) to start. I truly believe that is the problem. The Prokit even has the heater hose mod on the coils to isolate noise... I'll fix it,,,,,, Was just running it by others who have had similar issues. Thank you for the timely responses.

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Read your other thread in the suspension section, Ill answer here but I don't want to butt in front of Sam, its best if you call him, and try and figure out what you currently have on your car now (you can measure that rear sway bar for example).
I highly doubt this is a "convertible thing", the other convertible owner in the thread has terrible terrible shocks on his car(also I think its a V6 car), so that's an apples to oranges comparison.
How do your bumpstops look? Are they rotting?
You said the suspension is only around 200 miles old according to the previous owner, does it look that new? I don't want to rule out that he could be lieing to you.

If you are running poly bushings in the rear LCA's, then those are certainly not helping the situation as poly binds.
What is your rear ride height at? Some prokits are known for rear spring sag, so that could also be hurting you.
Is this the first time you've have 17x11" wheels on the back of an fbody? Those will hurt ride somewhat and make the rear feel heavier as well, I know mine did, but I don't think those are the issue.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cage, SFC and full tube MWC rod end set up with fixed race seats and it drives like it sounds
Old 01-22-2016, 07:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Update... changed asjustable LCA's (rear) to the tubular non adjustable and replace bump stops.. ( the others were shaved and metal to metal)... night and day difference!! Think I found my problem
Old 01-31-2016, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So, it sounds like your LCA bushings were shot?
Old 02-02-2016, 08:09 AM
TECH Junkie

No, I don't think so... they were brand new BMR adjustable lca's... That is overkill for what I will be doing with the car. so, I switched to the tubular non adj lca's... the bottoming out was due to the bump stops have ZERO padding on them. I also purchased a set of the BMR lowering springs ( to match all of the other BMR components). I am confident that changing out the Eibachs will eliminate the problem. Not that they are bad.... Only that the BMR's are a better product ( in my opinion)

Originally Posted by xny1989
So, it sounds like your LCA bushings were shot?
Old 02-02-2016, 09:13 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Z0H6
No, I don't think so... they were brand new BMR adjustable lca's... That is overkill for what I will be doing with the car. so, I switched to the tubular non adj lca's... the bottoming out was due to the bump stops have ZERO padding on them. I also purchased a set of the BMR lowering springs ( to match all of the other BMR components). I am confident that changing out the Eibachs will eliminate the problem. Not that they are bad.... Only that the BMR's are a better product ( in my opinion)
I can assure you that you will like the BMR springs better than the Eibachs.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 02-11-2016, 03:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are my suspension mods below. And every thing delrin. The last upgrade will be a roll bar.

Last edited by 38DD2436; 02-12-2016 at 04:56 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you replace the springs & LCA's at same time?
From what I can understand, i dont know if I can say the LCA's fix the problem or springs.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like the eibachs were the problem, and replaced with BMR's
Old 02-23-2016, 07:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Yes, they were... The car sits better, rides better and all of the noises are gone. Actually there were several contributors.
1) Bump stops were shaved down to the metal. ( replaced, and shaved accordingly)
2) BMR Adj LCA's.. ( Overkill for my car. Replaced w non adj BMR LCA's)
3) replaced the Eibach Pro Kit w BMR Lowering springs.

I am doing the front wheel bearing assemblies, all four rotors. I'll shoot some pics of the new stance.

Quick Reply: Most "solid" suspension you Vert guys are running?