Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Is odd handling just part of the convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 10:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Default Is odd handling just part of the convertible?

I've noticed that my 00 WS6 handles kinda funky. It tends to follow bumps in the road and overall doesn't like to go straight. I've checked all of the front end parts and I see nothing worn out. The rack/tie rods are brand new on it. I've checked the K member and nothing seems wrong there. My tires are wearing pretty evenly.

I drove a coupe today and it drives really nice. Alignment is next on my list, but I am wondering if this is something common to the convertibles? If not, then I have SOMETHING wrong in the front end, just haven't found it yet.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 'Vert handling

Mine was perfect on 10 year old tires...almost no miles, however. Then I bought new tires. Couldn't keep it straight on I95, and it followed every bump/imperfection in the road. An alignment solved all problems...

Hope this helps?
Old 07-09-2016, 12:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CBAR02SLP
Mine was perfect on 10 year old tires...almost no miles, however. Then I bought new tires. Couldn't keep it straight on I95, and it followed every bump/imperfection in the road. An alignment solved all problems...

Hope this helps?
That's how mine is, it follows the road really bad. I will get it aligned and see what happens.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JC316, I don't have a convertible but I have a 1996 Z28 T-Tops
It has 17x9.5 rims on all 4 corners and it definitely follows ruts/dips in the road if they are bad enough. It isn't the car as the alignment is perfect and suspension is fine as well.

When I had the factory 16" rims on it the car handled the ruts way better. When I switched over to the bigger/wider rims it was noticeably worse. Can be a handful at times and makes driving interesting, lol

(there is a lot of heavy equipment on our highways and streets so they can get pretty bad where I am from)
Old 07-09-2016, 01:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by deebee
JC316, I don't have a convertible but I have a 1996 Z28 T-Tops
It has 17x9.5 rims on all 4 corners and it definitely follows ruts/dips in the road if they are bad enough. It isn't the car as the alignment is perfect and suspension is fine as well.

When I had the factory 16" rims on it the car handled the ruts way better. When I switched over to the bigger/wider rims it was noticeably worse. Can be a handful at times and makes driving interesting, lol

(there is a lot of heavy equipment on our highways and streets so they can get pretty bad where I am from)
It's done it with both the factory WS6 wheels and some 17x9 ZR1 wheels. I drove my sisters 02 z28 today on the same roads and it handles completely different. A handful is exactly how I would describe mine. It's getting on my nerves.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I have a 99 SS vert.... Took some work but mine drives straight as an arrow, does very well on corners and no shaking, squeaking, etc that you typically get with these convertibles. I will tell you that was NOT the case when I first bought the car. It rode and drove horribly almost to the point of me selling it. I am glad that I didn't. It's tight and rides, drives nicely.

When I purchased, It had shave bump stops ( to the metal), Eibachs, Bilsteins, adj lca's heavy aftermarket ZR1 wheels ( 17x9,17x11). Rode and drove HORRIBLE!!!

I changed everything... Bilstein HD, BMR weld in SFC's, BMR lowering springs, BMR LCA's ( non adj), OEM Bumpstops ( cut evenly just a little) rear BMR sway bar, BMR STB, Chrome OEM 10 spokes w BFG Sport comps,..... Night and day difference. I would encourage anyone who owns a Vert to go over the suspension if you are experiencing what the OP is experiencing. To be clear, this is MY experience. Planning on adding a 4 pt roll bar soon. Hope this helps.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

It is not a convertible issue. It sounds like you have tramlining issues with your tires. I have never experienced what you have experienced, and I bought my 'vert new. It is still 'stock'. I 've always had quality tires, from the initial Goodyear GS-C, then Goodyear GS-D3, and now BFG G-Force (my least favorite but no issues). My T/A has handled incredibly well. I've tackled all the mountain roads here in western NC including the Tail of the Dragon. I can compare the T/A to other fine handling cars that I have owned as well. A 911 and a BMW Z3. This T/A is no slouch and doesn't take a back seat to anyone. It isn't quite Z3 handling but the drop off is not severe.
Getting back to the tires, many inexpensive tires start having those tramlining issues once past the half way point of the tread life. Sometimes, if mongrel brand, right from the get go. Does that apply with your situation at all? If not, I would next check the alignment and front end suspension again. I hope your issue is just simple. Keep us posted if you feel like it. We all can learn.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01Z0H6
I have a 99 SS vert.... Took some work but mine drives straight as an arrow, does very well on corners and no shaking, squeaking, etc that you typically get with these convertibles. I will tell you that was NOT the case when I first bought the car. It rode and drove horribly almost to the point of me selling it. I am glad that I didn't. It's tight and rides, drives nicely.

When I purchased, It had shave bump stops ( to the metal), Eibachs, Bilsteins, adj lca's heavy aftermarket ZR1 wheels ( 17x9,17x11). Rode and drove HORRIBLE!!!

I changed everything... Bilstein HD, BMR weld in SFC's, BMR lowering springs, BMR LCA's ( non adj), OEM Bumpstops ( cut evenly just a little) rear BMR sway bar, BMR STB, Chrome OEM 10 spokes w BFG Sport comps,..... Night and day difference. I would encourage anyone who owns a Vert to go over the suspension if you are experiencing what the OP is experiencing. To be clear, this is MY experience. Planning on adding a 4 pt roll bar soon. Hope this helps.
Seems like the convertibles react differently to standard wear. I will look into upgrading the suspension.

Originally Posted by NC01TA
It is not a convertible issue. It sounds like you have tramlining issues with your tires. I have never experienced what you have experienced, and I bought my 'vert new. It is still 'stock'. I 've always had quality tires, from the initial Goodyear GS-C, then Goodyear GS-D3, and now BFG G-Force (my least favorite but no issues). My T/A has handled incredibly well. I've tackled all the mountain roads here in western NC including the Tail of the Dragon. I can compare the T/A to other fine handling cars that I have owned as well. A 911 and a BMW Z3. This T/A is no slouch and doesn't take a back seat to anyone. It isn't quite Z3 handling but the drop off is not severe.
Getting back to the tires, many inexpensive tires start having those tramlining issues once past the half way point of the tread life. Sometimes, if mongrel brand, right from the get go. Does that apply with your situation at all? If not, I would next check the alignment and front end suspension again. I hope your issue is just simple. Keep us posted if you feel like it. We all can learn.
My 97 Cobra tramlined like a mother with it's cheap Sumitomo's. This one has Nitto NT555's on it. This is what I needed to know, so long as there is a problem, I can find and fix it. Didn't want to waste my time with a convertible specific thing.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

RE: Tramlining.
Never heard of this before so I looked it up. Good read below.
You learn something new every day!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=47
Old 07-09-2016, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I had front tires that pulled to one side from sitting during winter storage. thought it was an alignment issue. got new front tires and it drives like a cadillac now, except it goes around corners and its fast, LOL
I'd invest in some sub frame connectors (3 point) if you haven't already. They are a HUGE improvement in these cars
Old 07-09-2016, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a 99 SS vert...
Wondering why you cut bump stops, car still hit on bmrs I assume? You know Strano sells other bump stops for our cars, some shorter too and and some made from real rubber, also some generic jeep poly ones, fwiw. I am on bmrs too almost same stuff you have and mine hit. However I keep a lot of stuff in my trunk for shows and cruise inns like two folding chairs, a small ez up too, so I went back to stock rear springs for now until I can install my konis and other bump stops.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Yes, it did w the crappy Chinese ZR1's that were on it. Currently running the OEM 10 spokes and I love driving the car. I'll look into the Strano bump stops when, if these wear out. I really don't drive the car enough for that to happen though. It's an every now and then cruiser as I own 4 cars...

Nothing in my trunk except perhaps some golf clubs ( every now and then) and the wind stop...

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
Wondering why you cut bump stops, car still hit on bmrs I assume? You know Strano sells other bump stops for our cars, some shorter too and and some made from real rubber, also some generic jeep poly ones, fwiw. I am on bmrs too almost same stuff you have and mine hit. However I keep a lot of stuff in my trunk for shows and cruise inns like two folding chairs, a small ez up too, so I went back to stock rear springs for now until I can install my konis and other bump stops.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Talking

Nothing in my trunk except perhaps some golf clubs ( every now and then) and the wind stop...
{jedihandwave} you dont need that wind stop, you feel the need to donate it to cajun{/jedihandwave}
Old 07-16-2016, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Hey guys, I have a 2002 L.E. vert with 50K on it and would like to tighten up the chassis, which parts in what order will help out my flexible flyer? Everything is bone stock.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by topless2002SS
Hey guys, I have a 2002 L.E. vert with 50K on it and would like to tighten up the chassis, which parts in what order will help out my flexible flyer? Everything is bone stock.
Subframe Conncetors 2 points connectors is what I have on my car and it was a night & day's difference. 3 point sfc if you can swing it.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
Subframe Conncetors 2 points connectors is what I have on my car and it was a night & day's difference. 3 point sfc if you can swing it.
Thank you!!
Old 07-18-2016, 06:43 AM
TECH Junkie

LOL..... Mine came with original. Keep your eye on Ebay. Every now and then you can catch one for $300 ish...

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
{jedihandwave} you dont need that wind stop, you feel the need to donate it to cajun{/jedihandwave}
Old 07-18-2016, 09:03 AM
Staging Lane

1st - 3 Point subframes
2nd - Panhard Bar
3rd - LCAs

All three had an impact and changed how the car felt for the better.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

Thanks
Old 07-19-2016, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

verts use different SFC's than coupes so be careful when buying.

Quick Reply: Is odd handling just part of the convertible?