Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

Advice for Gluing Rear Window Back Onto Convertible Top

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 12:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Advice for Gluing Rear Window Back Onto Convertible Top

Hey everyone, the convertible top of my 2000 LS1 Camaro is starting to detach where the rear window (as of now, it's the entire bottom side of the window that has come loose). I followed some instructions at this thread and bought some 3M windo-weld and 3M 08682 primer. When I went to start putting it together, I had trouble pulling the cloth back into place with the window.

I opened the top to about halfway and tried it again, and it seemed even more difficult than when it was in the closed position. For the life of me, I just can't find the right position to get the cloth to connect where it needs to be with the bottom side of the window. If it doesn't connect, winds-weld is useless.

Any tips?

Bottom portion of the window is detached from convertible top

Old 07-06-2016, 08:52 PM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

that happened to me on my 97 RS vert and i paid $150 for them (upholstery shop) to seal it. they even went around the whole window for me. they didn't warranty it but I ended up selling the car two years later and never had an issue with it.
you might want to pony up the $$$$ and let someone else that does it for a living do it...then you're done with it.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I am going to do the same. I tried the window weld, but it didn't hold more than a year
Old 07-30-2016, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Do a search - there are many solutions to this. I ended up replacing the window curtain (it's separate from the top).

Quick Reply: Advice for Gluing Rear Window Back Onto Convertible Top