Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

What steps need to be taken in welding the SFC's in?

Old 09-20-2004, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What steps need to be taken in welding the SFC's in?

I'm trying to make sure my bud will and can do this but I dont want to "F" up. Do I need to remove some of the carpet(pull it up)? Also do I need to sand in the spots they get welding on? I'm a little worried about the job cause my car is so rare but I've heard everyone say the car needs em and believe me I've had mine since last Christmas and their beginning to collect dust. Thanks for any help.
Matt
Old 09-23-2004, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

Take it to a performance shop and have them do it. You have to evenly balance the car out when welding these on.
If you weld them in wrong, your car will ride all screwed up and look funky.
Just spend the money and let someone that has done it before.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My KBDD's were installed in Apr 01 with no probs to date. The car was put on a drive-on lift. (chassis loaded) Disconnect the neg battery cable. Have the welder move around to different weld points rather than focusing in on one weld for an extended period of time. Once the welds have cooled put some rust inhibitor on them. POR-15, Extend, etc. I did not remove carpet or floormats. Nor did they even get warm to the touch.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:00 AM
Launching!

Just got mine done. No issues with the carpeting. Connect the SFC to the front of the the lower control arm, but do not torque tight. With the suspension loaded, use a small jack at each weld pad, starting from the rear, and get the pad to fit flush. Scrape enough paint off to allow a good weld and use 1 inch long welds, pausing 1 minute between welds. Move on to the next pad. When done, torque the LCA bolt. A lift is a must.

Search this Thread