Convertible Vehicles Enthusiasts | Information | Maintenance

how many of you try to condition all rubber seals

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how many of you try to condition all rubber seals

and i mean them all every rubber strips alont the windshield that connect to the roof, along the side windows, and ofcourse the top itself. the rubber seal on the bottom underside of the trunk ect ect. i notice some early sign that in 2-3 year ill probly have 1-2 bad seals so i started a pre-emptive attack of using my leather conditioners for my seats and spread a thin coat over the entire car anything thats rubber basically. anyone have a product they use that works especially well?

my grand parent have a airstreamer and man it scared me to think of my car with all the rubber dry rotting. also would it hurt to condition say like the hoses in the engine bay aswell?
Old 06-21-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do the same thing whenever I detail the interior
Old 06-21-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Read my post, work great, get ya one...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...1532&highlight=
Old 06-24-2008, 09:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 537 Likes on 385 Posts

Yes, you MUST stay on top of the conditioning situation to avoid the drying out of the rubber and seals. Once it starts leaking it gets tougher and tougher to 'fix'. Garage kept cars will obviously last longer between conditioning efforts but I imagine cars left outdoors need it monthly.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with 99'CajunFirehawk157. I have a 99 camaro rag top and have never conditioned the seals, and was concerned about them leaking. In fact, when driving in the rain I'd get some drips from the driver's side window were the mirror post contacts the top seal. After using the product, the leak is no more, and the seals all seem softer. Also, my car is outside all the time, as it's my daily driver and I have too many toys to get the car into my garage.

Quick Reply: how many of you try to condition all rubber seals