Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

? about stock C6 Z06 catback

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? about stock C6 Z06 catback

My question is does the stock catback have some sort of setup where the exhaust system opens up somehow during wide open throttle. I have heard that there is a vacuum type setup that makes the exhaust more free flowing under WOT and if this is true could someone explain it to me or lead me in the correct direction. Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the stock Z06 exhaust has a vacuum operated butterfly valve. It opens and routes the exhaust directly into the exhaust tips, allowing most of the exhaust to by pass the going through muffler. It will open above 3500 rpm at WOT, but aftermarket controllers allow you to change that as well as leave it open or closed all the time.

It is also an option for the C6 known as "NPP" (factory option code). Adds 6 HP per GM over the stock exhaust.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
Yes, the stock Z06 exhaust has a vacuum operated butterfly valve. It opens and routes the exhaust directly into the exhaust tips, allowing most of the exhaust to by pass the going through muffler. It will open above 3500 rpm at WOT, but aftermarket controllers allow you to change that as well as leave it open or closed all the time.

It is also an option for the C6 known as "NPP" (factory option code). Adds 6 HP per GM over the stock exhaust.
Cool, thank you for the information. Is the butterfly valve controlled by the PCM? If not this could be one of the coolest projects that I will be part of.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Regular

You can just pull the fuse for the baffle in the exhaust. Then it is always open and sounds sooo much better.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dankl
You can just pull the fuse for the baffle in the exhaust. Then it is always open and sounds sooo much better.
I am seeking this information for a supercharged car that is not a Corvette so back pressure is needed and leaving it open all the time would be pointless of the whole project for me. What I still really would like to know is if the butterfly valve is connected to the PCM?
Old 10-23-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stealthy1ss
What I still really would like to know is if the butterfly valve is connected to the PCM?
As far as I know, it is not PCM controlled because you can add the system without doing any tuning to the pcm to make it work.
I am seeking this information for a supercharged car that is not a Corvette so back pressure is needed and leaving it open all the time would be pointless of the whole project for me.
There is something wrong if you need backpressure, at least in street car with any modern fuel injection system.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
As far as I know, it is not PCM controlled because you can add the system without doing any tuning to the pcm to make it work.

There is something wrong if you need backpressure, at least in street car with any modern fuel injection system.
I will be testing this out next spring then. The reason I need backpressure is because my engine is only 122ci four cylinder. I will loose substantial low end power with a wide open exhaust so I am trying to have the best of both worlds here by having good low end power and good high end power.