Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Codes and Lights?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Codes and Lights?!

My parents have a 2001 c5 auto it has 19,000 miles on the clock. The display screen shows reduce engine power(code 1518) service active handling and service traction system. Went on gearchatter.com found out 1518 code means PCM to TAC module serial D circuit is having a problem. Lot of info I don't fully understand. So I want to know where and what the TAC module looks like,pic would help alot. What dose service traction and active handling mean? IT HAS ONLY 19,000 MILES WTF! If you have had the same problem and how did you fix it.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

TAC = Throttle Actuator Control.

Anytime there is a problem with the electronic throttle it defaults to reduced power. Check the TAC module connector for water intrusion...also check the connector at the throttle body motor. P1518 will also set if battery voltage is low....so check battery voltage and make sure its fully charged. Has it been cranking slow at all?

The TAC module is located next to the PCM in the RF wheel well behind the wheel. Its the smaller module...the larger is the PCM. If you dont have a wiring problem, then its either the PCM or TAC module as the culprit.

The service traction may come on as a default too if you have a TAC problem...I cant remember for sure.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

It did not crank slow but the battery died because of cranking it so much(would not start),so I got a new battery. I don't think it is a wiring problem. Thank you

Quick Reply: Codes and Lights?!