Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Need info on Z06 Convertible Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 04:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need info on Z06 Convertible Conversion

Looking for info or a how to on doing C6 Z06 to vert. Can't stand hardtops, even for racing. I know they require extra bracing for the light frame unlike the C5 Z conversions. Just need to get a better sense of what I would be getting into. Not willing to spend the $25K+ shops charge, I will do what I can myself and source cheap vert parts to keep the cost down. Thanks!
Old 10-25-2009, 03:22 PM
Launching!

i don't think anyone has done a vert conversion to a C6 Z. you'd be the first for sure... its possible i am sure, but the Z frame is built to have the top. you'd have to somehow firm up the sides if you removed the upper section.

no interested in my car anymore? lmk.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:32 PM
FormerVendor

Go on Corvetteforum.com

You will find your answers...

-Nathan
Old 10-27-2009, 12:21 AM
Teching In

Stuart-Searched over there and did not find anything helpful, pretty much a bunch of Z purists BSing about how it would destroy the car, pretty funny reading accually. I found a company that makes a carbon fiber brace for the frame, but it is like 11K by itself! Even if I have to put a welded in rollbar I would be cool with that, I just can't find any good modded widebody verts I would be happy with or I would go that route.

AJ-I really like your car, the drivetrain mostly. Everything else about the car I am not sure about. My 2001 yellow mallett vert I lost was setup exactly like I want a C5 to be(minus the C5R engine) and I think I would have to just change yours too much to make it worth it to me. Brakes, suspension, wheels, interior, hood, HUD, etc....And then I may not like the silver

I talked a lot to that red C5R mallett car guy on eBay, he has the brakes and suspension I like, but is also not as modded as yours, has higher miles, and wants a few K more than yours, so I don't know what to do. That is why I am thinking C6, at least until something changes.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GTSC5R
AJ-I really like your car, the drivetrain mostly. Everything else about the car I am not sure about. My 2001 yellow mallett vert I lost was setup exactly like I want a C5 to be(minus the C5R engine) and I think I would have to just change yours too much to make it worth it to me. Brakes, suspension, wheels, interior, hood, HUD, etc....And then I may not like the silver

I talked a lot to that red C5R mallett car guy on eBay, he has the brakes and suspension I like, but is also not as modded as yours, has higher miles, and wants a few K more than yours, so I don't know what to do. That is why I am thinking C6, at least until something changes.
you know, we should talk more seriously if you like. let me know the things you don't like and i can swap them out. I have a LOT of my local buds who want to buy parts off my car. i still have the stock hood and stock rear bumper. the interior parts can be sold off as well. for suspension, i have the best of the best, but again, that stuff can be swapped and sold too. the color is pewter metallic, imho, one of the better colors out there.

i'll shoot you a pm with my phone number, give me a call and we can talk.
Aj
Old 10-27-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check out these guys' structural integrity system, and they releasing a video of their build soon so watch for that, it should give you some ideas!
http://www.genaddi.com/Z06/index.html

This ones nice
http://www.smokinvette.com/corvettef...ad.php?t=28900

Last edited by evilZO6; 10-27-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:15 PM

If you are just asking the question and have not bought the car yet, why not buy a c6 vert and add the widebody/front fenders and build you a forged 427ci or 416ci.

It might work out better..
Old 10-28-2009, 07:12 AM
Launching!

evilZ06: yea, caravaggio does great work, but you'll be paying out of your behind to get his work... i have his seats in my car and i LOVE them!!! very functional in terms of racing and comfort on the street!!!

Aj
Old 10-29-2009, 12:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone did one here in Los Angeles. It was at a Rydell. Not sure who's it was though.

Quick Reply: Need info on Z06 Convertible Conversion