Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Allngn_c5 visits D&D Performance (Walsh Motorsports) Wixom, MI

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Allngn_c5 visits D&D Performance (Walsh Motorsports) Wixom, MI

First off I'd like to thank Ron@Vengeance for getting me the RPM stg III Diff so quickly. Like the saying goes, its not always what you know, sometimes its who you know.

Anyways as many of you know I went to Milan Dragway 3 times. No breakage in 6 passes on visit one. Blown clutch after run 9 on visit 2. Replaced with RPS street twin lite. 3rd visit on a sweet launch and a 1.71 60 ft time I cracked the diff case spilling all my freshly changed gear lube all over the side of the track. That wasn't it, I also broke the trans output shaft and blew a couple seals I guess.

It was not a cost effective plan to send the car to Ron@Vengeance, and I talked to the boys at BAKER Performance (very nice and professional) but after finding out that Donnie Walsh of D&D Performance was now doing Corvettes and Mustangs I decided to talk to him about the needed work. Donnie agreed to fix my baby for me. After dropping it off last Monday they got her apart and thats when I found out that I had hurt more then just the diff. Donnie assured me that my car was in good hands and not to worry. He explained all my options and helped me to make an informed decision on what to do. Bottom line very nice guy, and easy to get in touch with.

Donnie went thru the trans and listed everything that he found wrong with it. 2nd gear was trashed, 1-2 slider needs replaced, full synchro kit, new seals, upgraded all shift forks and a gForce hardened output shaft. So basically 10-12 hrs labor, 350 for the trans inspection/rebuild included plus parts. All in all my bill is going to be about 3100 tax included (this doesn't include the stg III diff from RPM that I supplied courtesy of Ron@Vengeance). Considering that my trans is being completely rebuilt with all the upgrades that come in many other top end trannies I feel I am getting a lot done for the price. Again thank you very much to Donnie Walsh and D&D Performance (Tech Sponsors) for being so easy to work with on getting my car in and serviced. Can't wait until she's done.

Stay tuned for my impressions on how the new tranny / diff feel. Should be in a few days.
For all your Performance needs:Vengeance Racing 678 513 7105

Last edited by allngn_c5; 10-28-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

D&D was selected over Baker mainly due to location. 20 minutes from my house vs 3+ hrs. Going out there today after I get out of work to go over the bill and get an idea how much longer before she's ready to get back on the road.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just found out that I'll be able to pickup the car tomorrow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-26-2009, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to drive it...
Old 10-26-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great call on D&D. I have one of their T-56's in my 93 Trans Am and that thing has held up to some ABUSE.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SilveradoSS500
I want to drive it...
Originally Posted by Fastbird93
Great call on D&D. I have one of their T-56's in my 93 Trans Am and that thing has held up to some ABUSE.
Thanks guys. All I can say is that its going to be a long day at work !!

I hope I don't get offered Afternoon shift OT, if I do then I'll have to put off picking up black beauty until tomorrow.

Spoke with Donnie yesterday. I'm glad he's a patient individual. He took the time to explain his answers to my questions and after talking to him I felt 1000% sure that I will be happy when I pick up the car.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just waiting for my ride, going to pick her up in a few minutes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-27-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well I just got back from a gentle drive to get some breakin miles on the newly rebuilt trans, and new diff. All I can say is that the shifting is like night and day. Considering the abuse the car has taken since I bought it, I truly had no idea how bad the tranny had gotten. Now having driven the car post trans rebuild all I can say is that it is like night and day. 1000% improvement.

I got about 440 miles to go before I can get on it like I want to !!!!!

Wanted to make sure everyone knows how to find Donnie. D&D is the front end of the business, and Walsh Motorsports is the back end where Donnie is. 248 735 5555 Wixom, MI. Father and Son. Thanks again to Donnie Walsh for doing such a good job getting my car back on the road. Also thank you so much for taking the time to show me all the worn out parts and explaining what/why something was warn out. You really helped me to understand the issues I was dealing with prior to the rebuild.

I'll be back for a visit once she's got the break in miles. Great job, at a great price.

http://ad.doubleclick.net/click%3Bh=...erformance.com

Last edited by allngn_c5; 10-27-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Put another 50 miles on it tonight. She feels even better. Can't wait for some spirited driving. Babying the car sucks, but I will do as instructed. First 500 miles take it easy
Old 10-28-2009, 11:13 PM
11 Second Club

Gonna be able to make any more track passes this year?
Old 10-29-2009, 05:38 AM
11 Second Club

Why do you need to break in a new tranny? Dont new cars come with new trannys! I break everything in like I drive them with no problems ever. (except the 00 SS-broke the rear gears)
Old 10-29-2009, 06:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WhitePhoenix99
Gonna be able to make any more track passes this year?
Don't know if I can afford it. The last trip to milan cost me 25 for entrance, 100 for a tow, and 6100 give or take for tranny rebuild, new diff RPM stg III, and labor. LOL Maybe but I doubt it. I think I am done chasing a number. We all can agree the car is fast, and I think the 11.59 at nearly 127 in bad DA (+2000 or so ) gives an idea of what she can do. Just to remind everyone, this car was never intended for the track, it was intended to go 200 mph, and do it with ease. She does that, so I call my project a total success.

Originally Posted by David Gordon
Why do you need to break in a new tranny? Dont new cars come with new trannys! I break everything in like I drive them with no problems ever. (except the 00 SS-broke the rear gears)
I can't speak for Donnie but I would guess that he wants me to take it easy on it for the first 500 miles as a precautionary step. ?? I'd also venture to say not too many "NEW" cars coming from the factory with 541 rwhp 505 rwtq, unless you want to talk about the 09 ZR1. I don't think I'd be jumping on that car until she had a few miles on her either. JMO
Old 10-29-2009, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Glad to hear everything worked out. I love my RPM Diff!

Good Luck!!
Old 10-29-2009, 06:17 PM
10 Second Club

i bet your tranny shaft caused your diff explosion...it goes boom and pieces of the shaft get lodged in places where theres no room for them to go and boom...can opener effect...when mine went a piece got stuck in the ring gear and cracked a tooth...blu's broke and did the same as yours...can opener'ed the diff, f'ed the tq tube, and f'ed the bellhousing...mine was with the stock m12 and my rpm stage 3 390 diff (600 miles on it at the time ...ouch)
Old 10-29-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sorry to hear that man. Thanks for sharing. I have the gForce hardened output shaft now. THe stocker literally split diagonally and then torpedoed the diff. No torque tube issues here. I guess I'll consider myself very fortunate.

Btw addeed more miles tonight, getting closer. Only about 350 to go before I can flog her down the eway. Lets hope the weather stays nice enough to get out and drive.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:23 PM
TECH Regular

So your car goes 200 mph...that's nice. You spent countless thousands of dollars over the last five years just to run up and down the highway? Get out there and be competitive,either road race or drag race that thing. Spitting out dyno numbers isn't really much of a accomplishment for all that money spent now is it.

P.S. If top end running is your bag. There are several events throughout the US that run the mile (flying or standing start). Go run in some of those event,that way you'll have a time slip that proves your car is capable of 200+ mph...as of right now it's only speculation.

Last edited by david vericker; 10-30-2009 at 05:03 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well Dave you know what, I am sure I could pick apart some of the things you have spent money on but I won't.

Thanks for the support.

As for the standing mile competitions I have looked into that. I'd really like to see what she'd do in the MILE vs the 1/4 mile. If I end up doing it then I'll be sure to post up a slip and video if possible.

As far as the other things I've done with my car, I am not at liberty to post. I will say I did make a few bucks doing it though, and had a lot of fun too.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:55 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am glad it all worked out for you, I have only heard great things about D&D.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Well Dave you know what, I am sure I could pick apart some of the things you have spent money on but I won't.

Thanks for the support.

As for the standing mile competitions I have looked into that. I'd really like to see what she'd do in the MILE vs the 1/4 mile. If I end up doing it then I'll be sure to post up a slip and video if possible.

As far as the other things I've done with my car, I am not at liberty to post. I will say I did make a few bucks doing it though, and had a lot of fun too.
On the contrary,my post was not meant to knock the money spent,but rather to inspire you to use the car to it's true potential. You have a first class all around set up there (great combo)so don't just set on your hands,use that thing and compete against others with like type street driven race cars. It's the racing that I love...mono,mono type thing you know!

Yeah, I get your drift as to the other things and money won.You know my opinion on that ****...not cool.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

I hear ya, but I think I am going to enjoy the car a bit first. I love the suspension, and to be honest the drive back from Vengeance Racing was not nearly enough seat time to re learn how to drive the car to its full potential. My few runs to work and back were nothing more then teases to see what the car can do. Its a little late in the year to do much more, but I'm sure come spring time I will be able to put something together for everyone's viewing pleasure.

TJ @ Baker thanks for the phone time and information. Had to go with D&D / Walsh Motorsports due to them being only 20 minutes from my house. When I pay Shawn a visit in your area (F1 WS6) he and I will probably stop in for a tour. Heard nothing but good things about you guys thats why I was considering Baker. Had Donnie still been doing Mustangs only I would've definately sent my car there. Thanks again

Quick Reply: Allngn_c5 visits D&D Performance (Walsh Motorsports) Wixom, MI