Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

LS-7 Z06s

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS-7 Z06s

Hello Vette Fans, I am a T/A owner and looking at various options and want to get some input form the Vette guys. I have owned a few vettes in the past, but not currently...a 56 and a 72 stingray, my mom once owned a 69 mako (spelling?) shark....when I was a very small kid. Too bad we didn't know what that would be worth 40 years later...lol, anyways, I have been in love with the LS-7 motor since I first hear one on youtube with electric cutouts. Then after watching the performance videos, Im deadset on having an LS-7. I figured I have 2 options, buy a Z06 or put one in my T/A.

There are a few Z06s in my region of the world (Guam). I do not know what years or which engine came in them. I looked on Ebay and learned that not all Z06s had the LS-7 motors. What year did they start putting them in there? Was it an option or standard after a certain year?

I notice the onces that have an LS-7 seem to be quite a bit more expensive and understandably so. So, I have weighed the option of putting one in the T/A to save a ton of money and kind of have a sleeper. Since I was planning to upgrade the tranny and rear end anyways in the car, the only encurred price would be the motor conversion to me. I found a website for less than $10k, I can have a brand new LS-7 with a conversion kit for my LS-1 car.

With that being said, Should I drop in the LS-7 or go for the Z06? Of course, I'd prefer to have the Vette since there are a million other upgrades in the Z06 that outweight anything the T/A would have, but truthfully, my main issue is no back seat....and I have 2 kids that like to cruise with me.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:36 PM
Teching In

LS7s come in the 2006 to present Z06s. I believe a brand new crate LS7 is around $13k. Alot less if from a wrecked car. A problem might be wiring the engine into the car, but it car be done.
If you plan on supercharging, turbos or NOS, the LS7 is not the engine to go with. Since the cylinder walls are so thin between cylinders, boosting can be dangerous to the engine. All you need to is a search on modded LS7s "grenading". But they are phenominal engines.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:36 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

2001 Z06 had LS6 made 385 hp
2002-2004 Z06 also had the LS6 but with alittle minor improvements cam i think made 405 hp

no 2005 model z06

2006-current Z06 came with the LS7 making 505hp
Old 11-25-2009, 06:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Crimson Vette
LS7s come in the 2006 to present Z06s. I believe a brand new crate LS7 is around $13k. Alot less if from a wrecked car. A problem might be wiring the engine into the car, but it car be done.
If you plan on supercharging, turbos or NOS, the LS7 is not the engine to go with. Since the cylinder walls are so thin between cylinders, boosting can be dangerous to the engine. All you need to is a search on modded LS7s "grenading". But they are phenominal engines.
Agreed on the boosting, mine was boosted but decided to loss the sc and go cam. There have been alot of lucky guys out there thou alot of it is in the tune.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:15 AM
On The Tree

Truthfully, I am making a daily driver. I thought about in the future putting a SC on it, but it wasn't a for sure thing. So, to have 505 + bolt on stuff should be enough to keep me faster than most and able to pull into a dealer if need be, should be fine with what I need. I live on a remote island (Guam) and there are not many tuners here and I would not trust any with a turbo or Sc kit, thus I am not going this route with the LS-1 on a rebuild if I elect to drop on in that car. I prefer an engine that if it is out of my league, I can basically pull into the only GM dealer on island and they can work on it.

From time to time, Texas Speed has some turnkey long blocks for around $9k with a LS-1 conversion kit at least that is what there site had last month, I just checked nothing listed at the moment except the block for $2k.

I will be sure to look up "grenading" and see what that is all about. Any other input would be appreciated. Thanks guys for the details so far, it has been quite helpful.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:02 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go for the Z06. Ther's a lot more to it than the power. The car is far lighter, has better brakes, suspension, a stronger trans and rear with coolers, etc.

If you want to keep your current car I'd buy a built motor from one of the vendors. I would not buy a crate motor.

I love my C5Z but wanted more power. I bought the motor in my sig from Vengeance Racing and strongly recommend them.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

I'm with you, that is what I would really like to do. I guess my only gripe is the back seat issue. I've had Vettes in the past and also a Ferrari, it is just nice to have an emergency back seat if you need it.

BTW, Crimson mentioned that the LS7 isn't good with the NOS. Will it not handle any at all? I know the LS-1, basically can handle 150 shot without mods. I would think the LS-7 would be able to handle about the same...maybe I am wrong. Can someone please clarify for me?
Old 11-26-2009, 03:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by muteki
I'm with you, that is what I would really like to do. I guess my only gripe is the back seat issue. I've had Vettes in the past and also a Ferrari, it is just nice to have an emergency back seat if you need it.

BTW, Crimson mentioned that the LS7 isn't good with the NOS. Will it not handle any at all? I know the LS-1, basically can handle 150 shot without mods. I would think the LS-7 would be able to handle about the same...maybe I am wrong. Can someone please clarify for me?
If you want alot of info go over to corvetteforum dot com that will answer ALL your questions. Yes you can throw some nitrous at it but how much? Some guys are just more lucky than other. If you wanna play you have to pay.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

I don't mind paying, I just don't like having a down vehicle. Like I said, I live on a remote island. If I blow a motor, it will takes weeks just to get parts shipped here. I was thinking of only a 100 shot, will it handle it stock?

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by muteki
I don't mind paying, I just don't like having a down vehicle. Like I said, I live on a remote island. If I blow a motor, it will takes weeks just to get parts shipped here. I was thinking of only a 100 shot, will it handle it stock?

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.
I would say yes with a SAFE tune. Rodney at RPM transmissions is running 15psi on a D1 procharger kit on a stock untouched long block meaning no internal mods. I always like to bring that up. I think that right there says something being he is just lucky or has a great tune. He is making 689rwhp and has been for awhile of course he has full bolt ons i believe and is running 100 octane and the track. Are you stationed in Guam or do you live in the states and will be returning? The reason i ask is you could leave it stock till you return to the states and find a good tuner or take a chance out there if you trust them. I had a P1 procharger on mine but it just worried me because i had to go get it retuned at a shop and i dont know if they were really trust worthy so i opted to remove the sc and go cam.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

Nah, I live here.....6 mor years till retirement. So, I am looking for something I don't have to worry about much. Im sure the 505 plus bolt ons will be quite a change compared to what Im running now.