Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

I give up! Truth is out...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 08:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow I give up! Truth is out...

Well guys I've been into the chevys and fords since I was 13, now 32, and developed a strong love for the fox body mustangs. I owned a 93lx hatch and now an 04gt. I loved the 93 but always wanted a notch(coupe) so somehow I ended up buying the Gt. I supercharged it for a little bit and still was dissapointed with the performance of the mod engine. I decided to purchase a 93 notch with intentions to build a 351w based stroker, while collecting parts I came up across a member here who owns a hatch with a basically stock LQ4/L92 carbed based combo running in the 9's in the 1/4. That did the trick for me since I love the old pushrod technology lol! The LS is one amazing engine and I've learned quite a bit in a short time about them, I actually purchased 2 books.

Now all my plans have changed and the project is materializing with basically the same combo as the other member here has. You ask what does have to do with the corvette forum...well I want an LS based daily driver and the gt I own doesn't cut it anymore. I came to the conclusion that I want a 01-04 Z06 and it looks like in a few more months I can finally make my mind up and possibly purchase one.

My thing is are they good DD? Is this a mistake since I'm also building another "race" car? I have to get one and then be like man I'm spending money left and right on both cars. I do want a nice daily driver, like I mentioned LS based that has decent quality feel, fun factor, easily to modify, and finally good bang for the buck! So I think the a used 01-04 Z06 can deliver it.

What are your opinions? Suggestions? I have a family of 4 but my wife also has a 4Runner with 24k miles. Btw my car only has 25K miles lol!

Thank in advance!!!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:21 AM
Banned

I have an '01 and it's been great, however in about 25k miles daily driving it in Atlanta for 2 years I did run up some costs.

The Zo6 has a nice spread of parts from the start compared to a base C5... also look on the www.corvetteforum.com classifieds. Lots of NICE modded cars there and most are at great prices.

I think once you start drive C5's often you wont want anything else.

It's a terrific machine.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ~JOSHUA
I have an '01 and it's been great, however in about 25k miles daily driving it in Atlanta for 2 years I did run up some costs.

The Zo6 has a nice spread of parts from the start compared to a base C5... also look on the www.corvetteforum.com classifieds. Lots of NICE modded cars there and most are at great prices.

I think once you start drive C5's often you wont want anything else.

It's a terrific machine.
Thank you for providing your experiences with it. Now, have you driven yours in the snow? That's the onlu thing that got me thinking since it'll be my daily driver and it does snows here!
Old 04-20-2010, 10:35 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Vette in the snow = FAIL. If you have to drive it daily, I wouldn't buy one. The low clearance will be your biggest problem, snow will pack under the car really easy and once that happens, you're not going anywhere.

If you can get a beater to drive in the snow then go for it, but if you have to drive it every day.. I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't drive a fox body or a camaro or transam in the snow either, my car when it was on the road NEVER saw snow. I couldn't even get it out of the driveway the one time I tried... gave up on that right away.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Vette in the snow = FAIL. If you have to drive it daily, I wouldn't buy one. The low clearance will be your biggest problem, snow will pack under the car really easy and once that happens, you're not going anywhere.

If you can get a beater to drive in the snow then go for it, but if you have to drive it every day.. I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't drive a fox body or a camaro or transam in the snow either, my car when it was on the road NEVER saw snow. I couldn't even get it out of the driveway the one time I tried... gave up on that right away.
Thanks for your honest opinion! I do believe that you are totally right, it'll be a pita to drive it...even I was able to get it out of the garage. I really want an LS car but the camaro and transam are of the question. I like the outside but the inside leaves a lot to be desired like the mustang. Maybe a GTO would be a better option?
Old 04-20-2010, 11:46 AM
Race your car!

GTO would be worth looking at, new camaro as well, whatever you do don't lower them, that is the one thing you can do to ANY car to make it a POS in the snow.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
GTO would be worth looking at, new camaro as well, whatever you do don't lower them, that is the one thing you can do to ANY car to make it a POS in the snow.
Thanks once again! I like to when I lower cars to keep them as close to stock height as possible because I hate when the ride becomes rough. New camaros are fine IMO but I want to stay within a price range of around 15-18K. I've found plenty of GTO's around the 15k range but are mostly the 04 model and I prefer the LS2 since those cars tend to be on the heavy side.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Race your car!

Give it another 6 to 9 months, and you'll see the ls2 cars come down more.

As that new camaro gets out there more... the market will get filled with the older stuff cheaper then it is now.

Look at 4th gen f body cars, you can buy one now for next to nothing, I've seen a TON of nice cars for for 8500 bucks or less now.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

problem is if you live in 100 miles or so of STL, anything performance oriented runs a premium, soo haggle your *** off and youll get a good buy. peolpe think V8 sports cars are gold around here.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Race your car!

Internet car sales can be your friend. There's a trucking company that's more then willing to bring anything from anywhere to you.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

I really like the G8 GT but the prices went up in the last 3-4 months. I like the F-body cars but want something more refined but powerful or the ease to make it powerful.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LSNotch
I really like the G8 GT but the prices went up in the last 3-4 months. I like the F-body cars but want something more refined but powerful or the ease to make it powerful.
LS2 goats are a great option. very nice interior for what it is, rides good, and an LS engine. and dont let people tell you they are pigs, they are ~200lbs more than an fbody at most. btw, i drove to Kansas city for my car, adn got a great deal. look out of the area and youll have better luck, although the gtos seem to be a a better price point than most GM performance stuff (esp the LS1 gtos)
Old 04-21-2010, 10:00 AM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LSNotch
My thing is are they good DD? Is this a mistake since I'm also building another "race" car? I have to get one and then be like man I'm spending money left and right on both cars. I do want a nice daily driver, like I mentioned LS based that has decent quality feel, fun factor, easily to modify, and finally good bang for the buck! So I think the a used 01-04 Z06 can deliver it...
..I have a family of 4 ...
This sounded so familiar to me that I figured I would give my story. I have been commuting ~100 miles per day for the past 14 years. Started out with junky 4-door cars, then a Silverado (which has 332k miles now), but when gas started going up so much I needed to get better mileage. In 2005 I bought a '94 Corvette that needed some work. I daily drove it for 30k miles until I totalled it in a corner one night. I was able to replace that with a '99 FRC that I have been driving for the past 3 years and 77k miles. It makes a great daily driver with 24-25 mpg in my commute and puts down 470 rwhp with the h/c/e/i upgrades I did over the past 3 years. But like you said, that takes money away from my true hot rod - a '69 Nova. But because of my LS1 experience with the Corvette, the Nova is now getting a low compression 408 that is planned to be twin turbocharged. So now I can share parts between the two cars. It's a bit of a mistake to have two hot rods and to be modifying a daily driver, but I have kept the Corvette pretty tame except for the Textralia Z-grip clutch. Not having a back seat can be a hassle with a family of 4 also. I would like to have a CTS-V, but with the miles I have on my C5 it would be difficult to get much money out of it. Good luck with your decision. It's a fun time to shop around and make plans.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:44 AM
Banned

I advise getting a cheap beater in addition to the Corvette.

Even though C5's are generally reliable and you can fix them yourself, there will be times where repairs will take more than one business day.

I let the little issues pile up that when it was time to retire from DD duty and become a garage queen there was a ton of little things to fix up. It would have been nice to just use the Zo6 on sunny days, instead up waking it up on cold winter mornings.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:20 PM
10 Second Club

i have both a GTO and a 01Z. Neither is good in Snow. The GTO rides smoother and has waaaaayyyyyyyyyy more room. The Z06 gets better fuel mileage but is more of a race car inside.

For daily driving im looking for a 06-07 AWD TrailBlazer SS.

right now i have a 1991 Olds Cutlass Supreme (with the 3.1L) 4 door with 143K miles as my work car and a 1993 K1500 Ext Cab for my hunting/hauling/Snow truck.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks folks for your opinions and sugestions. At this point it seems like it will be a mistake to get me a corvette. So it may not be now but maybe in a couple more years I'll end up buying one. I'm going to focus on the Fox project for now and hopefully that will suffice my LS powered hunger.

Quick Reply: I give up! Truth is out...