Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Soon to be corvette owner.... Few Q's

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Soon to be corvette owner.... Few Q's

Do any of the z06's from 01-04 have the sticky clutch? or aluminum fork like the f-body's? (weak tranny)

what about just a normal ls1 vette? do they have those problems as well?

Looking for a z06 at the moment, so I just had a few questions.

emo
Old 10-16-2010, 05:04 AM
TECH Regular

Well to be honest it really depends on the previous owner, miles, condition of the car. Being a used car it may or will have issues, going to happen with any car. There are plenty out there just take your time. Get a Z06 with the prices I have seen on them lately, why not.

Oh and yes you can get the pedal sticking to the floor, that is pretty normal for these cars, but a new master should fix it. Tranny's are pretty strong, over 700 whp in my FRC and the tranny was stock for a long time.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:36 AM
On The Tree

I bought my car with 75K miles about 7 months ago and it currently has 90k miles on it. The clutch pedal was strong through and through until I hit the 85K mark. I got the clutch replaced 2 months ago before I deployed and saw that it was the original OEM clutch that it came with. I would say, given how I drive and beat the **** out of my car every day the clutch held up pretty well and I didn't encounter a sticky pedal until months of repeated abuse and that was only after a hard WOT run (140+mph )

As far as getting a base C5 vs a C5Z I would personally say go with the C5Z, and when you get it get an 02-04. For the extra cash you pay you get extra hp & torque a more rigid chassis due to it being a hard top, and its lighter and much better for the track. Now if you are building a straight line monster out of your vette and don't plan on using a stock motor, cam or trans I would settle with a 99 FRC and build it up from there.

Just my .02.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheHitman
As far as getting a base C5 vs a C5Z I would personally say go with the C5Z, and when you get it get an 02-04. For the extra cash you pay you get extra hp & torque a more rigid chassis due to it being a hard top, and its lighter and much better for the track. Now if you are building a straight line monster out of your vette and don't plan on using a stock motor, cam or trans I would settle with a 99 FRC and build it up from there.

Just my .02.
If you plan on modding the car, then the extra cash for the Z06 would be better spent modding a coupe or FRC. All C5's have a very rigid chassis. The platform was designed to be ran without a roof. The differences between a coupe and a FRC (all Z06's are FRC's) isn't a lot. The Z06 will be about 100lbs lighter if you do no weight savings on the coupe/FRC and don't add weight to the Z06 (heavy chrome wheels, remove the Ti exhaust). Handling wise a Z51 coupe or FRC will be very close with non runflat tires. The Z51 has the same front spring, same rear sway bar, a slightly smaller front sway bar (~2mm) and a slightly softer rear spring.

The Z06 is a great factory package. If you plan on buying the car and leaving it alone or doing a few simple bolt ons, it's an excellent choice. If you plan on doing serious mods (heads, cam, etc) then the premium for the Z06 will be largely wasted.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

99C5JA, thanks man. I'am planning to do boltons/cam/nitrous. so not sure on what car yet.... i would really like a z06. but will take a h/c FRC.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bongva
99C5JA, thanks man. I'am planning to do boltons/cam/nitrous. so not sure on what car yet.... i would really like a z06. but will take a h/c FRC.
With that in mind, I would strongly recommend an FRC (from your response I'm guessing you prefer the styling). You'll likely save around $5k vs. a Z06 which will pay for the clutch (any C5 making 400+rwhp will need one), headers, cam, heads and nitrous.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the Z06. I would get 02-04 if ya can. But you can fins some 01's for a very good price sometimes with low miles.

Quick Reply: Soon to be corvette owner.... Few Q's