Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

c5 408 oil pan issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c5 408 oil pan issue

I need some help here guys. Im putting a 408 in my 2000 frc and im in the process of putting all the covers and oil pan to the new motor but with the windage tray spacers the pick up tube hits the bottom of the oil pan and wont let it sit down completly and with out the spacers the rod bolts hit the windage tray. I need someone to clearly explain what they did to the windage tray to allow the stock oil pan to fit. If theres anything else that i need to know please help me out here guys the more info the better.

Oh and i did search the forum before I posted just couldnt find the right answer I guess, so dont bust my ***** on that.

Thanks
Eddie
Old 02-07-2012, 02:19 PM
TECH Regular

Any news on this?
Old 02-08-2012, 11:30 PM
Staging Lane

Yea I wanted to get everything to fit with out cutting up the windage tray. First I put 2 washers to space the tray up a little bit, then I cut a little bit on the left side of the windage tray(motor upside down, standing in front of the oil pump) so the rod bolts would clear, I used a ball pein hammer to beat down the tray where the pickup tube goes and pushed the pickup tube down to get the propper clearance from the bottom of the oil pan( I was told to have 1/2" clearance from the bottom). I also had to grind down some of the ridges(i guess thats what there called) on the front of the oil pan itself to be able to torque it down without having to worry about it cracking. I had to take the oil pan off so many times I was about to just break it
Old 02-13-2012, 07:11 AM
Teching In

The MAST windage tray works great... you might consider buying that rather than fuss with the stock tray.

I'm working on an ERL 434ci for a C5. The MAST tray clears the rod bolts and works rather well with the C5 "batwing" pan (2-piece version). I did some very minor massaging to the tray to make it all fit...

Their tray doesn't require any spacers. I used the washers/spacers in the main stud kit as a buffer for the windage tray nuts (to keep the serrated flange nuts from tearing up the tray). Using some "mach"-up washers I found that were the same thickness as the compressed gaskets, pickup-to-pan clearance is right within spec.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

I'll have to check that out seems like a easier and safer rout to go with. I did use my old oil pan gasket to get the clearance for the pick up tube so I should be good there, but that windage tray is really getting to me.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats one clean oil pan! Is it new? How much was the windage tray?

Chris
Old 02-18-2012, 10:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did what was in the pic. I carefully "massaged" the pickup tube and used a .250" metal plate across the base of the pickup to verify my desired clearance. I've done it many times with stroker motors and stock trays using the washers.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cwalsh
Thats one clean oil pan! Is it new? How much was the windage tray?

Chris
New pan...yessir. I sourced it from ebay. My C5 came with the one-piece pan and I wanted to keep it with the engine that came with the car.

I can't recall what I paid for the tray, but I see it goes for around $80 now.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

hey, quick bump, where did you order the MAST windage tray from?
Old 04-21-2012, 06:52 AM
Teching In

Byun Speed aka Colorado Speed... (site sponsor)

http://www.coloradospeed.com/index.p...ducts_id=14987
Old 04-21-2012, 09:22 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am running a LS2 oil pan..

Quick Reply: c5 408 oil pan issue