Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Running High output electrical accessories D3 fans

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Running High output electrical accessories D3 fans

So I added the D3 high performance fans to my 2006 C6 z06 with eforce and the voltage dropped at idle to the point the battery would die in trafic and the car ran very hot due to the fans not spinning fast enough, as voltage was too low.
Increasing idle to about 800rpm has helped a bit, I also bought a 240 amp output alternator however the voltage/amperage at idle is only a little higher than oem.

I have meziere electric water pump, the recirc pump for intercoolers, aftermarket sound system and whatever else.

I can actually hear the fans ramp up as I tap the throttle.

Assuming my grounds are ideal and all connections good my thought is this:

My Electrician buddy tells me that with voltage being low the fans amperage draw gets even higher (or something like that).

Only the fans are making the voltage drop down drastically. Otherwise I have 14.7 or so and all is well.

Can one add a voltage booster to the fans? Something like boost a pump etc. Would this work? Would it even decrease the amperage draw if I was able to supply 14 to 16 volts to the fans?

Anyone know anything about using a 16V battery? Does that require many modifications or just the alternator?

I'm really not crazy about the lack of information, suggestion or even warning from D3 on this setup. From day 1 it became a separate project in itself when coupled with the Dewitts radiator (A thinner radiator may be best for my use but I own this now)

I drive in Manhattan, NYC and this is one of the most grueling tests for any cooling system besides perhaps the desert regions. The high load, low speed bursts and poor airflow design make for problems and sometimes caught in traffic for 3 hours or more.

Quick Reply: Running High output electrical accessories D3 fans