Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Climate control bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 08:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Climate control bad?

Have a 1997 c5 basemodel with a4, I've read theres issues with the digital climate control but never got a clear answer on exactly what besides the lights going out.

right now my car only has ac and defrost, i cant get heat out of it or change vents, the climate control works in the aspect it lets me turn the heat up or down and it says its changing vents, but nothing actually happens. Only thing that works properly is blower motor control and ac on or off.

is this something under the dash messed up or is this all pointing to bad climate controller? I dont relays or any motors/actuators trying to move and the vacuum lines have vacuum.

heater core hoses get hot and have flow, and if temp is set to 90* ot still reads "exit temp" at 64-68* or what ever the ac is blowing out, so im assuming its working correctly.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just had this recently and it can be in the control unit but more than likely you have a vacuum leak somewhere. The car I was working on it turned out that it had both a vacuum leak and the head unit was bad.

Check this thread out - some really good info:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nge-vents.html

A good first check is to remove the under-dash panel and look for the vacuum manifold - it will be easy to see as there are multi-colored tubes coming off of it - there will be a purple hose coming off going to a clear connector that connects to a the black vacuum hose - pull that apart and check if there's vacuum there - it's the main vacuum source.

If there isn't vacuum there a common area of failure is the plastic vacuum tube under the battery box - you'll have to remove the battery and the battery tray and you will see it run into the wiring harness.

Hope this helps
Old 05-25-2017, 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

thanks for the thread link!

and yes, ive pulled hte purple hose and the vacuum manifold off and it all has vacuum.

im leaning towards the actual climate control as i cant change temp or change vent mode.

if rain holds off ill probably pull dash this weekend and double check everything before i order something new.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You could probably send it in to one of those places on eBay that "rebuilds" them and just eat the core charge.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:51 AM
TECH Resident

i was looking at that and i wouldn't mind doing it but it sounds like they just fix the lights not the actual unit, id have to contact them and see probably.

Quick Reply: Climate control bad?