Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

04 Z06 w/ Blown Motor - What Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Z06 w/ Blown Motor - What Replacement?

Been wanting to get a roller late model Corvette for a while to do a nice build with. I'm a novice when it comes to the details with this stuff, so bear with me here.

Local craigslist guy has a 2004 Z06, Clean Title, with 60,000 miles on all original car except for intake/tune/cam/mufflers. He sent the rods through the oil pan, needless to say it needs a new engine/serious rebuild. He wants $10,000 for it but I plan on offering $7500 and seeing where it goes.

I want a car that I can beat on at the strip, track, and road. Of course the car will be getting new suspension and brakes and whatever else it needs to accomplish the above. I don't really have a HP goal, and that's something I'd like your guys help on. I know the track doesn't require much HP, 400-500 is plenty, but I want a faster car than 400-500 HP for the street/strip. Is ~700 wheel HP too much for a track? Or is too much not the right word and "Unusable" a better one?

Originally, after watching builds by shops like Vengeance Racing, I was set on an LSX, specifically a 427 or 376, with a supercharger/procharger on it. But now I'm reconsidering, knowing the weight of an iron block, in the worst possible place (Nose of the car), is awful for track use, and awful period really. What type of engine would you guys think would be a good "cornerstone" to build on? I'm also not sure on a blower to go on the said engine, not much experience at all with self contained units, but I know a few of the bigger names out there. I'd like a power level that's useable at the track, but also able to run low 10s or even high 9s (Probably need 800+ wheel to do 9s). A majority of the time will be spent on the road though.

Anyways, help me with this build, as of now it's dependent on ideas and opinions, so hit me. Will also be posting this on other forums for a combination of thoughts. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

IMO the 3080 pound car which you seek doesn't need a lot of torque. The factory LS6 is kinda a high strung bitch and guys have gone tens with bolt ons. Thinking the cam only record is almost nines.
Both 427 and blower combos will make drivetrain abusing torque, it would be useless to stab under a hundred miles per hour.
I'd go with a mild cam in an LS3 and enjoy around 480 rear wheel with a drive it anywhere type combo. With a decent clutch and a sticky tire, plus a "sack" to drive it, would run mid tens by accident
Old 06-19-2017, 12:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Stock cube LS3 with a D1SC or D1X and call it good.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.musiracing.com/musi-racing-engines/757-cu-in

Just kidding. I second the LS3. Nice reliable piece.

Quick Reply: 04 Z06 w/ Blown Motor - What Replacement?