LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Corvette Performance (https://ls1tech.com/forums/corvette-performance-27/)
-   -   GoodRidge Brake Hose Failure Caused Accident (https://ls1tech.com/forums/corvette-performance/1895669-goodridge-brake-hose-failure-caused-accident.html)

chuck nasty 04-06-2018 08:39 AM

GoodRidge Brake Hose Failure Caused Accident

Well I ordered the brake hoses February 25th 2017 From Amazon:

Goodridge G-Stop 12290 Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines Cadillac XLR 2004-09

Sold by: MotorSport Supply

Installed the lines and right off the bat one was messed up and wouldn't thread due to bad threading. Company had me take pictures claiming they would replace. Never did, would not respond to further emails after. Friday, March 30th 2018, I went to stop and my pedal went to the floor while I was going 10mph and I went under a 2016 F150. When I got the car home, took the wheel off and the hose itself ruptured, causing me to lose pressure and fluid. Luckily the damage isn't too bad just fender, headlight and some paint but still bad since this is a direct result of a brake hose failing. I will post pics of the hose when I get home today. I ordered PowerStop brake hoses to replace all 4 brake hoses.

Toes 04-06-2018 12:53 PM

Hose wasn’t right from the start an you used it any way? Why?

chuck nasty 04-06-2018 05:02 PM

No the hose that was messed up could not be used. It was one of the rear ones. This was a front hose that failed. https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...d53cbe00ec.jpg

ls1_chevelle 04-06-2018 05:46 PM

No install pics showing how it was mounted/orientated... You are wide open to a thrashing.

Looks like it wasn't mounting correct and kinked then failed. But thats just my non professional opinion.

pdxmotorhead 04-06-2018 06:31 PM

Yea,, That pic looks like a twist fail. If you torque wrong its possible to rupture the internal line, and then the sheath rotates and sheds. (Not saying you did it it might have been a returned part. ) I have seen guys do it when they mount the banjo end first then thread the standard end on. Should always tighten the AN end first and while tightening make sure the banjo is properly oriented, then put the banjo bolt and washers in.

FWIW I thought Powerstop got their components from Goodrich :)

chuck nasty 04-07-2018 09:10 AM

Well I Already took it off the car. I've installed at least 9 sets of these to date over the last 12 years with this being my only failure. Yes I installed the end on the solid line first then the caliper with it oriented correctly. I suspect this was an old or returned part due to the packaging being aged at the time but disregarded it. The lines looked fine and they functioned great for over a year. I daily drive this car and put about 15k miles on it after installation. When I get the car back I'll gladly post pics of each line installed. This post is for situational awareness as the seller on Amazon has 437 reviews with a 5 star rating.

Fastbird93 04-11-2018 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by chuck nasty (Post 19870340)
Well I ordered the brake hoses February 25th 2017 From Amazon:

Goodridge G-Stop 12290 Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines Cadillac XLR 2004-09

Sold by: MotorSport Supply

Installed the lines and right off the bat one was messed up and wouldn't thread due to bad threading. Company had me take pictures claiming they would replace. Never did, would not respond to further emails after. Friday, March 30th 2018, I went to stop and my pedal went to the floor while I was going 10mph and I went under a 2016 F150. When I got the car home, took the wheel off and the hose itself ruptured, causing me to lose pressure and fluid. Luckily the damage isn't too bad just fender, headlight and some paint but still bad since this is a direct result of a brake hose failing. I will post pics of the hose when I get home today. I ordered PowerStop brake hoses to replace all 4 brake hoses.

Hate to say it but wait. From point one, line wasn't right, and you emailed company. Yet you STILL installed, bled the brakes, found them satisfactory enough to test drive on, and started using the car, only to find a failure, AFTER finding issue with the line on initial install, but blame the company? Come on man. Common sense says if there's an issue with something like that, all progress stops until said issue is rectified. Not "let's drive it and see what happens."

1998 t/a 04-11-2018 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Fastbird93 (Post 19874278)
Hate to say it but wait. From point one, line wasn't right, and you emailed company. Yet you STILL installed, bled the brakes, found them satisfactory enough to test drive on, and started using the car, only to find a failure, AFTER finding issue with the line on initial install, but blame the company? Come on man. Common sense says if there's an issue with something like that, all progress stops until said issue is rectified. Not "let's drive it and see what happens."

OP Said front hose failed, rear hoses were the ones he had the issue with.

Fastbird93 04-13-2018 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by 1998 t/a (Post 19874355)
OP Said front hose failed, rear hoses were the ones he had the issue with.

My apologies. I totally missed that.