Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

any issues with 97 vettes???

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 10:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any issues with 97 vettes???

I tried doing a search but I couldn't find quite what i was looking for. My girlfriend is looking at getting a 97 vette, and I am a f-body guy so I have no idea how vettes are as far as reliability and quirks. Are there any serious quirks that came with the first year of the C5 body style?? Luckily the cars are 8 years old now and the prices of them have come down dramatically. The one that she is looking at only has 45,000 miles and they are asking $16,999. We are really excited to get it, I just wanted to make sure that there aren't any huge issues with these. I'm thinking of my LT-1's and their notorious intake manifold leak, crappy rear ends and the like. I know the Ls1's are sold motors, but are there any problems like these that plague the vettes??

thanks guys,
trav
Old 01-18-2005, 01:12 PM
12 Second Club

The 97's do not have alot of problems but here are some that I know of.

Heads are different for 97-98 cars. This can make modding cost a little more.

Fuel pumps in the tanks, Yes tanks there are 2 are/can be noisy.

HP/TQ will be the 345/345. The LS6 intake was not standard until 01.

Runflats can be pricey to replace and noisy.

Seats have soft metal in the power drive that can develope a ROCKing motion with time.

Steering Column lock recall. Be sure to make sure that this fix has been completed by a dealer.

If a MN6 car, cutch replacements can cost up to 1K. Have to take out the rear end to remove the clutch.

Torque Tube noise at low rpms and idle with clutc disengaged.

Bolster seat wear from entry and exiting the vehicle.

Thats about it. Noting real major and for 17K and 45K for miles, a great buy I think. Keep us posted.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

Of all the things ROJO99 listed the only real issues that apply to a '97 is the noisy fuel pumps. Everything else are problems on all C5's, or are just differences between model years.

So don't be afraid of the '97's, as there are no major issues what so ever with them. However you should get it checked out.....even though it was shipped solid from the factory the previous owner may have abused it.

FYI - I've owned my '97 for almost 6 yrs. I bought it used and bone-stock. And in that time I have never had anything wrong with it that i didn't cause myself.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cammedLT1
I tried doing a search but I couldn't find quite what i was looking for. My girlfriend is looking at getting a 97 vette, and I am a f-body guy so I have no idea how vettes are as far as reliability and quirks. Are there any serious quirks that came with the first year of the C5 body style?? Luckily the cars are 8 years old now and the prices of them have come down dramatically. The one that she is looking at only has 45,000 miles and they are asking $16,999. We are really excited to get it, I just wanted to make sure that there aren't any huge issues with these. I'm thinking of my LT-1's and their notorious intake manifold leak, crappy rear ends and the like. I know the Ls1's are sold motors, but are there any problems like these that plague the vettes??

thanks guys,
trav
I have owned my 97 C5 for 2 yrs now. I bought it with 9k miles on it. The only issue I had was the colmn lock which was covered under warranty and have noticed the seat rock. Other than that no problems and at that price sounds like you have a good deal.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

I'd recommend against getting one with a battery that leaked. You can find a pretty damn comprehensive IMHO list of potential issues here:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=984927

J-Rod also copied that thread here. It's not too far down this forum.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by leaftye
I'd recommend against getting one with a battery that leaked. You can find a pretty damn comprehensive IMHO list of potential issues here:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=984927

J-Rod also copied that thread here. It's not too far down this forum.

I was going to suggest the same thing with the battery. Make sure to look for rust around and under the battery.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

only prob I had was Column Lock and recall paid for it. My stock batt lasted until this last nov. they crack around terminal from over tightening, user caused. This can ruin the comp underneath, so beware.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:26 AM
12 Second Club

Forgot to mention the worst item... Mod fever. Its easy to get and hard to shake.

Quick Reply: any issues with 97 vettes???