Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Opinion

I found a 1969 Stingray with a 435 hp 427 and it is in showcar condition. It is one of my favorite Vettes, but I would have to give up my Z06 to get it.
They are going for $40 - 50k these days in that condition with a big block. It is fully restored. Aside from giving up the new car technolgy, I could get my hands on one now and it will only appreciate, whereas my new car is steadily depreciating. Just curious what ya'll think. What would you do if you were in my situation?

Dean
Old 06-15-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Dean-o
I found a 1969 Stingray with a 435 hp 427 and it is in showcar condition. It is one of my favorite Vettes, but I would have to give up my Z06 to get it.
They are going for $40 - 50k these days in that condition with a big block. It is fully restored. Aside from giving up the new car technolgy, I could get my hands on one now and it will only appreciate, whereas my new car is steadily depreciating. Just curious what ya'll think. What would you do if you were in my situation?

Dean
Well Dean that is a tough one. The long term outlook on that car looks pretty good in terms of value (auction #'s) I would have to say go for it, but refinance your house instead and keep the Z to drive.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the advice, but I don't drive the Z now, I have a daily driver. I only have 5k miles on the Z. I just can't pay an extra car payment and insurance right now, I pay for two cars including my wifes as it is. The daily driver is paid for.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

if you ever want to own a car like that, buy it now! you didnt mention the price but a restored numbers matching 427 435hp for $40-45K is a good deal right now(great deal if its a roadster), and in a few years dont be suprised to see the going price make a huge jump. it all depends on what you want to do....financially, though, the 69 is a better vette to have your money into
Old 06-15-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by goldlifter
if you ever want to own a car like that, buy it now! you didnt mention the price but a restored numbers matching 427 435hp for $40-45K is a good deal right now(great deal if its a roadster), and in a few years dont be suprised to see the going price make a huge jump. it all depends on what you want to do....financially, though, the 69 is a better vette to have your money into
It is $45k and it's a matching numbers car with the 3 dueces, monaco orange with black interior. Sweet looking car! It is a coupe, which I like better myself. I agree that now is the time to get my hands on something like that. I can always get another Z06. I just hate to give up the one I already have.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well this car sounds like it's going to be more of an investment than a toy. The Z06 you can actually drive and enjoy, the C2 would be more of a garage ornament. Not saying you couldn't drive the C2, but it would be less practical and an investment risk. C2's are my favorite older Vette's and I would love to have one. But I want a car I can drive the hell out of and not worry about what its going to do the value. So for me a C2 will come later in life when I can afford a toy and a garage ornament. Even then my C2 would likely be a non numbers matching small block 4spd car, because frankly that "I have the original GM sun visor sticker crap" means zilch to me. So in closing the Z06 is a car you can take on a trip comfortably, get great mileage, and race without worrying if your going to kill the "value" of it, I'd keep it until I could afford an addition.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:49 PM
TECH Regular

I have a thing for the big block C3's myself and I'm looking for a 1970 Stingray. Yellow would be the color. I have seen a few for $35K and have the fever. Good luck Dean-o, I hope you find a way to keep your Z and get the 427! Omg! lol! If you have another daily driver and can part with the Z then do it. The car will be worth $75K sooner than later.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

If you decide to keep the Z I would like the big block possibly.

Mark
Old 06-15-2005, 07:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dean-o

Dean
This is a real tough one and one that I've fought with for years now. I'd love to have a big-block 1969 yellow convertible, but what holds me back is the fact that, compared to my 2000 convertible, these cars just plain sucked to drive. I know because I owned a '69 back when it was almost new. I love the old 'Vettes, but they are much nicer to look at and admire than to drive. My 2000 we can go anywhere with. If my wife and I want to go on another Power Tour like we did in 2003 putting over 3800 miles on the car in 11 days, we can without hesitation or anxiety because we know the car can do it and we don't have to worry about hurting its "value" which is ****-poor anyway.

I'll only get my 1969 "dream car" when I'm in a position to buy it and keep my C5.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:18 AM
Launching!

I've been their had all the oldies.They just sit and collect dust but go up in value.Why save it and sell it down the road for someone else to enjoy?Keep your Z and live for today!
Old 06-16-2005, 06:39 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z06 Steve
I've been their had all the oldies.They just sit and collect dust but go up in value.Why save it and sell it down the road for someone else to enjoy?Keep your Z and live for today!
Well put Steve, I agree, I just took my Z on power tour and did 3,000 miles without a hitch, If you want to drive keep the Z, if you want an investment maybe look into the big block
Old 06-16-2005, 08:12 AM
TECH Addict

When I was 21, I worked at the race shop (outlaw sprint cars) of a multi-millionaire who had a fairly large collection of 1960's Corvettes (63's, 66's - including an original fuel injected, 67's - all 427 tri-power, 2 coupes and 2 roadsters). They had sat in storage for several years, so it was time to go through them and make sure they were still mechanically sound. We rebuilt the carbs, flushed the braking and fuel systems, rebuilt the calipers, and I meticulously hand painted some of the emblems and the needles on the guages. It was a good experience.

Why this story? Well, I did have the pleasure of driving the 67's. VERY powerful, very loud, and almost zero handling. Hell, his roadsters (had several custom 32 and 34 Ford roadsters - more showcars) handled better. Would I trade the Z06 for a garage and trailer queen? Probably not. I couldn't justify a $40K+ investment on something that would sit in the garage under a cover most of the year, and I would lose sleep thinking about the heat and humidity in this area eating away at it. Yes, I would love having one just for the brag factor, and taking it to the shows would be fun, too. But nothing beats a long drive to the gulf or a twisty trek to Columbus in the Z06. On the other hand, if you have your sights on the C6 Z06 (like me), I could possibly handle the 4 year sacrifice - sell the current Z, buy the '69, then buy a C6 Z06 after the '69 was paid for.

Tough decision!