LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Corvette Performance (https://ls1tech.com/forums/corvette-performance-27/)
-   -   Would a broken passenger side output shaft keep the car form moving? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/corvette-performance/374052-would-broken-passenger-side-output-shaft-keep-car-form-moving.html)

00Vette 08-31-2005 09:18 PM

Would a broken passenger side output shaft keep the car form moving?

I broke my driverside output shaft (I think). My car don't move when I put it in gear. If the output shaft was broken would the car be able to move?

Assassin 08-31-2005 10:01 PM

you need to give ALOT more detail about whats going on when you "try to move", is it a manual, does it make a grinding sound, does the driveline engage and engine rev in gear but car dosent move????ect..???

00Vette 08-31-2005 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Assassin
you need to give ALOT more detail about whats going on

Okay.........but I thought the question was pretty direct "If the output shaft was broken would the car be able to move?" I was at the drag strip with my 00 M6 C5. I was staged at about 3g's or so when the light hit and I dumped the clutch to launch. POP........the car wouldn't move. I could run through the gears, but couldn't move at all. So I got it towed off the track and looked under the car and nothing out of the ordinary. I had it trailored to the shop and the mechanic said the passenger side output shaft was snapped in two. But I though about it for a while and figured the other side should still spin if the one side was broke (not too sure that's why I posted). So it something else may be wrong with it, now would be the time to get it fixed since the rear is being looked at. Anyway back to the original question....If the output shaft was broken would the car be able to move?

NOSjohn 08-31-2005 10:16 PM

Sounds like you either broke both or broke something internally.

BadMonkey 08-31-2005 10:22 PM

If you are talking about the output shaft in the gear box I dunno hard to say. I would think it would still move if it was just the gear box. I JUST got done rebuilding my car from something similar happening. When the rear goes you can row all you want through the gears with no problem. I busted my rear end casing all to hell when mine went. And normally when a shaft goes in the rear of our cars its the Left. Sounds to me like you may have broke more then just the shaft though. I would pull the gear box adn make sure you did not break the output shaft of the transmission. Mine did at the same time i destroyed my gear box. Its not that much labor to pull the rear end to see if that out put is on teh tranny is toast. I have my old rear pulled in the garage and looking at it and knowing that you have 2 shafts in the rear end the other should move, now if you did some major damage to the internals or somethign then no its not going anywhere. I would pull the gear box and look inside. Check your drivetrain for operation as well if you pull the rear and start the car and the output shaft in the tranny moves tehn its just your gears. Either way sounds like you need to give get it figured out then upgrade your shafts ;)

Assassin 08-31-2005 11:19 PM

probably also killed the transmission output shaft, if one of the rear end output shafts were in tact it should move, so its some mean rear end or transmission damage, your gonna have to pull the rear and see if the transmission is in good working order also

97F1R408 09-03-2005 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by 00Vette
I broke my driverside output shaft (I think). My car don't move when I put it in gear. If the output shaft was broken would the car be able to move?

on a differential setup you have all or nothing thats how it differentiats the power to either side even on a posi or limited slip and on a c5 that shaft is common to break especially on a manual trans when replacing definetly order the 300m shaft call john at 21st century muscle cars they are the cheapest thanks I have a transmission shop and to blown c5s any further questions please write back it may not be as bad as it seems thanks,Mason Smith