Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Daily drive vintage corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daily drive vintage corvette?

I was wondering if any does, has or knows someone who drives a 1967-69 Camaro, 1963-72 Corvette, Challenger, Cuda, Charger etc etc daily, as a summer only car or hell even a 3 season car. I was wondering if they can be driven that much without killing it, demolishing the value...Also HOW bad is the gas mileage on these cars, roughly? Are they just like old people? Can push em around or wrestle with them cuz they might break a hip? lol Something along the lines of the Stingray in the movie Rush Hour with Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan
Old 04-11-2006, 09:36 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,175 Likes on 764 Posts

Sure. You just have to be prepared to fix a lot of stuff on old cars.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Family has several vintage cars, so to speak. Two of which, are ultra rare but, do get driven daily. The big block car , gets started, and ripped up the street once a month, maybe more, depending on its owners mood. It does get driven on the street but, rarely,...maybe out to dinner or soo.

The other car, is a bloomington gold/benchmark/survivor award winner thats all original, and belive it or not, is an awesome driver....and soo far, other then routine car guy stuff, maintenance free as far as breakage goes. NOTE, that car isn't ever beaten on soo, that says alot. The big block, gets the **** beaten out of it, and thats an L89 aluminum headed car.....that was a frame off....and it is like new. The only problem THAT car has ever had is a coil problem. I think that was it.

You COULD drive these cars everyday without problems. My cousin and I drove a 66 327 vette, vert, for our high school years everyday after school.....beat the living hell out of it,.....and never had a problem.

The car you want to drive everyday, if your gonna do that,....you'd wanna make sure it wasn't/isn't a high value car.... the 66 we grew up with, wasn't.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Well I'd probobly be looking at a 327 car, doesn't have to be numbers matching but I'd like a clean #3 or #2 car... can that be had for say under $20,000? Also, how do you and can you even finance a car like this with an auto loan? I would have probobly $6,000 to put down on one. I am 20
Old 04-11-2006, 02:25 PM
11 Second Club

Gas mileage is about the worse thing when driving an old car. I drove my 71 for a few months, before the storm hit, but getting 13 mpg on interstate was not the best for the pocket book.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sp00led Ya
Well I'd probobly be looking at a 327 car, doesn't have to be numbers matching but I'd like a clean #3 or #2 car... can that be had for say under $20,000? Also, how do you and can you even finance a car like this with an auto loan? I would have probobly $6,000 to put down on one. I am 20

327 won't be bad, at all. Great cars. Under 20K? Sure. You just gotta look, and wait. My uncle tried to buy this vette out of a barn for about three years.... guy always said no, very firmly. Two years later, my uncle stopped by, again, the guy wanted to sell. Sold it to him for under ten(i think it was 6 grand), it had 30k miles on it,....all documented but, didn't run. My uncle brought it back to his shop, changed to oil, turned it over by hand......and whadda you know, it won the three highest awards with an oil change, plugs cleaned, a wash, and wax. So, they're out there man.

A loan?.... I really don't know how to help you put on that brother.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sigforty
Gas mileage is about the worse thing when driving an old car. I drove my 71 for a few months, before the storm hit, but getting 13 mpg on interstate was not the best for the pocket book.

True. Nothing like modern day fuel injection.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:04 PM
BADA BING BADA BOOM!!!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this is going to be your only transportation then don't buy it.

I had a red 72 Stingray 13 years ago when I was 22. When the car was running good there was nothing like it, but when it brokedown life sucked, especially when it made me late for work quite often.

That is the car that I learned how to turn wrenches on, I had to because the labor rates on that car would have killed my bank account.

I ended up trading it in on a 96 Z28, I regret letting that car go but it was nice to finally have a new, fast and reliable car that had working AC.

The 72 turned alot of heads and was alot of fun, now that I am alot better off financially I might buy another one to restore it and add a 408 LS1/M6 setup.

I'll try to scan some old pics and post them up.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:29 PM
BADA BING BADA BOOM!!!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's some pics of the 72. This was back in 94 before digital cameras.

This is what happened to the Z28 I traded the Vette in on.

Believe it or not I walked away with only a sprained hip and three broken ribs.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

See I love the Stingrays with the silver bumper, just being in one even though it isn't going to be the fastest thing on the road is just a breath of fresh air... getting in it I can just imagine it being WOW. I would have no problem buying a beater to drive in the winter I just would take alot of pride in having one of these cars and NO ONE I mean NO ONE ever talks smack about one of these cars unless it's a mopar guy in his cuda. These are the original sports car, hell even if I found a nice 327 67-69 Camaro. I wish I knew about financing though. I think I will call my credit union, I get back from training late summer.