Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Car and Driver test C6Z06 vs. F430 vs. 997TT....

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car and Driver test C6Z06 vs. F430 vs. 997TT....

I'm fairly surprised, looks like acceleration wise the ZO6 from any speed other than a dead stop, is quite a bit faster than the 997TT, and it outperforms the 997TT at the track. F430's lack of torque hurts. Discuss.

Old 07-19-2006, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

I’ve ridden in both the Z06 and the 997TT. The only thing that surprises me is that the 997TT is that close. The Z06 is NASTY.

It doesn’t surprise me that the Z06 came in last place. Car&Driver has a history of disregarding performance in favor of “charisma”…… The slowest most expensive car came in first. That’s classic Car&Driver.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MGorman
I’ve ridden in both the Z06 and the 997TT. The only thing that surprises me is that the 997TT is that close. The Z06 is NASTY.

It doesn’t surprise me that the Z06 came in last place. Car&Driver has a history of disregarding performance in favor of “charisma”…… The slowest most expensive car came in first. That’s classic Car&Driver.
I hate porsche. I would take a Z06 over the 997TT anyday. But, I would take the Ferarri over the Z06 even if its slower.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:33 PM
Launching!

This is why I hate to even read C&D. If it's an American sports car...it sucks...period (even if the article gives it the best grades across the board, it still ends up last in the subjective placement). I mean, c'mon, look at the sound level scores...they think the quiet score is better!!!
Old 07-19-2006, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BigRon77
This is why I hate to even read C&D. If it's an American sports car...it sucks...period (even if the article gives it the best grades across the board, it still ends up last in the subjective placement). I mean, c'mon, look at the sound level scores...they think the quiet score is better!!!
You are aware that the C5 and C6 always win the best sports car in the 10Best issue?

I haven't got my copy yet, but I think this article is a bit of a money-no-object comparison. Hence the Vette loosing. It isn't nearly as 'nice' as the others, but then again we don't care about ergonomics and such no do we.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good to see the z06 hammer the 997TT (overglorified really). whatll be killer would be a comparison of the C6Z vs. the 997GT3. Both of those cars would the REAL performance cars.
Features are great for posing, thats why they put the f430 at the top!
Old 07-19-2006, 06:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Peacock
You are aware that the C5 and C6 always win the best sports car in the 10Best issue?

I haven't got my copy yet, but I think this article is a bit of a money-no-object comparison. Hence the Vette loosing. It isn't nearly as 'nice' as the others, but then again we don't care about ergonomics and such no do we.
Yeah...that's funny about the 10 best. C&D isn't the worst...I can't remember if it's R&T or another one that always seems to downplay the American cars (not that the others don't actually have nicer interiors and refinements...they do), but then I'm a little biased.

As for ergonomics...actually I care a lot...it's just a different kind of caring, being as I'm a giant and all...I can't fit into either the P-car or the Horsey!!1

The Vette is the only sports car I can actually get into comfortably. In stock trim, Viper has a terrible layout (for a big person) and couldn't even close the door...Ford GT almost cuts my head off when I close the door and my size 17s take up all available clutch/brake/gas space (one foot operation ), Porsche is close, but not tolerable, and Ferrari is an ultra-tight squeeze (at least the 360). Haven't been in a new Lambo yet, but if it's anything like the early 90's...I never will be without cutting off my legs at the calf .

Guess I should just carry racing seats around to try them all out .

Old 07-19-2006, 10:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MGorman

I totally agree. I have been a subscriber for 20 years to C & D and they love foreign/exotic sports cars...their articles are where a lot of internet guys get there misinformation about "cheap chevy" cars... and yet when you go to track day events at road course events the porsches, etc get run off the track. They always drool over honda. If it is a porsche or honda they ignore the fact that it is heavy or gets poor mileage for the small engine but point those items out if it is an american car or ignore the positives. They have already criticized the twitchy handling of the new Z. I would suggest they need a little more wheel time and learn to smooth out their transitions. Sorry to pile on your thread. Chuck
Old 07-19-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lightwt of the corvette is a huge advantage that c & d should make a big deal about. If they drove the car more the track times would be even more disparaging. I honestly believe they are not smooth enough drivers to get the most out of the car. The runflat tires on the covette further handicap it...put the same tires as the Ferrari on the vette and see how much sweeter it handles.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:07 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
The lightwt of the corvette is a huge advantage that c & d should make a big deal about. If they drove the car more the track times would be even more disparaging. I honestly believe they are not smooth enough drivers to get the most out of the car. The runflat tires on the covette further handicap it...put the same tires as the Ferrari on the vette and see how much sweeter it handles.
No ****!!! I mean, it gives me wood to think about in 3 1/2 years I will possess a c6 z06 (when c5 is paid for ). What a car, and way to go GM!!!
Old 07-20-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Johnsonville, SC; but orginally from GAINESVILLE, FL

Originally Posted by BigRon77
Yeah...that's funny about the 10 best. C&D isn't the worst...I can't remember if it's R&T or another one that always seems to downplay the American cars (not that the others don't actually have nicer interiors and refinements...they do), but then I'm a little biased.

As for ergonomics...actually I care a lot...it's just a different kind of caring, being as I'm a giant and all...I can't fit into either the P-car or the Horsey!!1

The Vette is the only sports car I can actually get into comfortably. In stock trim, Viper has a terrible layout (for a big person) and couldn't even close the door...Ford GT almost cuts my head off when I close the door and my size 17s take up all available clutch/brake/gas space (one foot operation ), Porsche is close, but not tolerable, and Ferrari is an ultra-tight squeeze (at least the 360). Haven't been in a new Lambo yet, but if it's anything like the early 90's...I never will be without cutting off my legs at the calf .

Guess I should just carry racing seats around to try them all out .

Well put...I have found that getting in and out of the vette is much easier tan other sports cars. I would take that sweet ZO6 if C&D wanted to get rid of it! That is, if they actually owned the car.

I was shocked that even when they compared the Z51 C6 against the new GT500 and C&D was typical, pretty much putting them both down.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:43 PM
12 Second Club

z06 will be alot cheaper to make faster though
Old 07-20-2006, 06:53 PM
Launching!

Porsche and Ferrari owners can't anyway
Old 07-20-2006, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis

What's the purpose of a sports car??? RACING

Who wins the race??? Z06

Yet Ferrari is number 1 ???
Old 07-20-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dear god @ the 997s ft lbs under 2K.

I think they are putting the z06 vs exotics and compairing them all as exotics sure the z06 lays super car #s but it's a sports car.

I've sat in vettes and ferraris. One feels like you are sliding into the nicest vag you'll ever get. The other feels like you just plopped into a camry.

While they all are brutally fast and awsome. The z06 is tuned more for fast times and high #s. While the others have a level of refiment the vette lacks. It's not meant as a strike on the vette at all though. The vette is a deicated sports car. Putting it vs exotics and testing as an exotic sure it'll not look as good.

Figure it like this if you compared a Prius and an Oddesy sure they have same #s for 1/4 mile and all but wouldn't it be stuipid to say that the Prius sucks because it can't seat 7?

Too much of that test was based on something the vette wasn't made for. I'll still take any of those cars in a heart beat.