Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Easyist way to change the belts on a C5??

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easyist way to change the belts on a C5??

Ok my A/c belt was frayed and snaped the other day. I got a new belt. but I cant seem to get the main sepertine belt off. I put a wrench on the tentenior and all i did wias lossen the bolt. lol. any little tips or tricks any of you guys know. otherwise i am breaking out the pry bar for this one
Old 07-21-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KenC5
Ok my A/c belt was frayed and snaped the other day. I got a new belt. but I cant seem to get the main sepertine belt off. I put a wrench on the tentenior and all i did wias lossen the bolt. lol. any little tips or tricks any of you guys know. otherwise i am breaking out the pry bar for this one

Leverage is your friend, my friend. I've become nearly a pro at changeing belts, simply cause i've was haveing some problems for a couple weeks with my pulley backing off.

**When putting on the belt,...get it on the crankshaft pulley first***

For installation or removel,from the passenger side. Then grab yourself a decently long 15mm wrench, ....I end up useing a gear wrench most of the time but, it isn't very good for leverage but it works cause I like useing it for the ratcheting effect(one of the worlds greatest tools). I take the wrench in my right hand,....and I press down on the actual tensioner with my left hand....at the same time, as I am compressing the tensioner, i'm feeding the belt threw my fingers(in my left hand), kinda holding it in place with pressure, and i'm holding the belt and pulley together, locking them in place-...... then I do a rotation on the gear wrench, to get some more compressing room on the tensioner.... and then I let go of the the wrench, which should stay put...and I slip the belt off of the alternator, or which ever pulley I can slide it off of with my right hand.

Hope this make sense.

Pry bar will work as well,...as long as you get the proper sizeing...that way you can wedge it against...something.

J

When I do belt swaps on magnacharged hummers,...I just step on the friggin tensioner....and do the rest with my hands.