Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Still No Oil Pressure???? HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still No Oil Pressure???? HELP!!!!

Well i replaced the O-Ring on the oil pump and replaced the Sensor in the back of the intake manifold and there is still no oil pressure. I didn't put the car back together yet i wanted too see if there was any oil pressure just by cranking it but not starting it. Any answers to why i don't have oil pressure do i have put the car back together and then start it im a little confused why i don't have any oil pressure.
Thanks
Old 01-25-2007, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

When I did my cam install I started it briefly with out anything on the front of the motor....I just put the front cover on so the oil wouldn't spray all over.

Don't run it long...Maybe 5 sec or less.You should see some pressure.

I don't think you can build oil pressure very well by just cranking it over.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It needs to be started for a little while... like mentioned above only for a few seconds. It make take a couple of cycles like that before it will build pressure.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Is that with out the water pump or anything else on it?
Old 01-26-2007, 06:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If your reading your pressure from your cluster, you may have a cluster issue...it does happen.

If not...here are some steps...

With the vehicle on a level surface, run the vehicle for a few minutes, allow adequate drain down time of 2-3 minutes and measure the oil level.
If required, add the recommended grade engine oil and fill the crankcase until the oil level measures full on the oil level indicator.
Run the engine briefly, 10-15 seconds, and verify low or no oil pressure on the vehicle gauge or light.
Listen for a noisy valve train or a knocking noise.
Inspect for the following conditions:
- Oil diluted by water or glycol - antifreeze

- Foamy oil

Remove the oil filter and install the J 42907 .
Install J 21867 or equivalent to the J 42907 .
Run the engine and measure the engine oil pressure.
Compare the readings to Engine Mechanical Specifications .
If the engine oil pressure is below specifications, inspect the engine for one or more of the following conditions:
- Oil pump worn or dirty Refer to Oil Pump Cleaning and Inspection .

- Oil pump-to-engine block bolts loose Refer to Oil Pump, Pump Screen and Deflector Installation .

- Oil pump screen loose, plugged, or damaged

- Oil pump screen O-ring seal missing or damaged

- Malfunctioning oil pump pressure regulator valve

- Excessive bearing clearance

- Cracked, porous, or restricted oil galleries

- Oil gallery plugs missing or incorrectly installed Refer to Engine Block Plug Installation .

- Broken valve lifters Repair as necessary

If the oil pressure reading on the J 21867 or equivalent is within specifications, inspect for the following conditions:
- Plugged or incorrect oil filter and/or malfunctioning oil bypass valve

- Malfunctioning oil pressure gage or sensor Repair as necessary.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Old 01-26-2007, 09:02 AM
Teching In

Where can you buy J42907 & J21867 ???
Old 01-26-2007, 10:10 AM
Teching In

looks like a dealer item to me, can you put a gauge in your sending unit hole?
Old 01-26-2007, 10:20 AM
BADA BING BADA BOOM!!!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SMahar28
Where can you buy J42907 & J21867 ???
They are available from Kent Moore Tools, they supply most dealers with their specialty tools, I have their LS1 pulley/crank seal installer and flywheel locking tool and they are high quality.

Try www.spxkentmoore.com
Old 01-26-2007, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Richie Carbone
They are available from Kent Moore Tools, they supply most dealers with their specialty tools, I have their LS1 pulley/crank seal installer and flywheel locking tool and they are high quality.

Try www.spxkentmoore.com

werd.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

You also might be able to rent this type of tool from a discount auto or something. The LSx engines are now soo widley used. you may be able to find the tool there, as it is a general automotive tool....and used by many shade tree shops across the us.

We\'re a dealer soo...I use kentmoore products.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
You also might be able to rent this type of tool from a discount auto or something. The LSx engines are now soo widley used. you may be able to find the tool there, as it is a general automotive tool....and used by many shade tree shops across the us.

We\'re a dealer soo...I use kentmoore products.
Is\ your keyboard\ fucked up\?
Old 01-26-2007, 02:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sprayjunkie
Is\\ your keyboard\\ fucked up\\?

What, the backslash ****?

Or recommending someone to go to discount?

I am useing a backdoor websurfer, cause I can\'t access ls1tech like a normal human being(it\'s locked down).... soo... I notice everytime I use this type of server, it makes things a little weird.

Either that...my typeing is off
Old 01-27-2007, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Any have a Oil flow diagram of the LS6 engine?
Old 01-28-2007, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SMahar28
Is that with out the water pump or anything else on it?
No WP, balancer or anything.....Just make sure you put the front cover on or oil will spray eeverywhere.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:43 PM
Teching In

OK i replaced the O-ring put it in correctly and took the oil filter off cranked it over to see if there was any pressure none at all. Is it possible i got a bad pump from SLP what other options are left?????
Old 01-29-2007, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you shimmed the pump? Have you checked the pickup tube height from the bottom of the oil pan? Is this a new motor you receintly installed?
Old 01-29-2007, 07:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LETHL_ZO6
Have you shimmed the pump? Have you checked the pickup tube height from the bottom of the oil pan? Is this a new motor you receintly installed?
No i called SLP and since i have a SLP double roller timing chain and pump they said not to shimme the pump. The height of the pickup tube looks fine. No this is a LS6 engine with 30,000 miles on it. I just installed ETP 215 cylinder heads, push rods, Fast 90 intake manifold, 90 Nick williams T-body, TSP long tube headers no cats, SLP exhaust no mufflers, SLP air filter, Hellion Cam shaft, SLP underdrive pulley, Double roller timing chain, SLP oil pump, NGK spark plugs, MSD spark plug wires, New Battery, new oil sending unit, Ram Clutch, Ram flywheel, Ram adjustable master cylinder & Slave just put the clutch in has less than 500 miles on it. I just got done putting the clutch in not to long ago because the clutch keeped sticking to the floor. Now I did the heads etc and ran into a zero oil pressure problem i knew what the problem was with the clutch not the Zero oil pressure problem. I talked to SLP they are sending me a new pump so im going to install it tomm and hopefully everything goes ok. If anyone has any tips on installing the oil pump let me know O-ring etc. If this doesn't work im going to be lost. When i took the car apart i had oil pressure just wondering where it went too now=(.
So if anyone has anymore information they can provide me with it would be a very big help. Thank you too all of you that have already posted it has helped a lot.
Thanks Scott
Old 01-30-2007, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Best way to install the pump is to disassemble the pump.

Put the o-ring on the pickup tube,push the tube down slightly,slide the pump over the crank snout and let the tube slide up into the pump.

You will be able to see the o-ring through the front of the pump.

Slide the gears over the snout and rotate them until they are seated.Install the front cover on the pump.

You really need to start the car to see oil pressure.If you start it briefly and your gauge still has no pressure then pull a valve cover and look for oil around the valvetrain.

If there is oil present on top of the motor then your gauge or sending unit is the problem.

FIRE IT UP!!!
Old 01-30-2007, 08:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by molson
Best way to install the pump is to disassemble the pump.

Put the o-ring on the pickup tube,push the tube down slightly,slide the pump over the crank snout and let the tube slide up into the pump.

You will be able to see the o-ring through the front of the pump.

Slide the gears over the snout and rotate them until they are seated.Install the front cover on the pump.

You really need to start the car to see oil pressure.If you start it briefly and your gauge still has no pressure then pull a valve cover and look for oil around the valvetrain.

If there is oil present on top of the motor then your gauge or sending unit is the problem.

FIRE IT UP!!!
Well i got the new SLP oil pump today. Put the new O-Ring in made sure it was installed correctly. I took the oil filter off to see if there was any oil pressure at all if there was it would come shooting out. Well i cranked it didn't start the car yet no oil pressure at all. Im going to just put it back together and start it too see if it builds any oil pressure at all. The question i have is the car has been sitting for over 4 months I live in New York I started at the very end of sept until Middle of Jan Temp has been cold lately around 30 or colder the past 2 months before that maybe a high of 45 well putting the heads on etc no start ups at all for those 4 months.Is it possible the oil is to thick and that is why im not seeing any oil pressure when cranking it over the way i have been doing it? I didn't mention this before but i did start the car before and didn't see any oil pressure it was right at Zero this was about 2 weeks ago. The only thing that made me take the car apart was because the O-ring wasn't installed correctly i think. So im at the point were i didn't want to hurt the internals that's why i have just been cranking the car with the oil filter off that's why i was wondering is it possible the oil is to thick ????? I really dont know what else it could be i didn't mess around with the pick up tube at all im just really lost at this point.
Thanks Scott

Last edited by SMahar28; 01-30-2007 at 08:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Still No Oil Pressure???? HELP!!!!