Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Clutch release makes strange grinding noise...

Old 01-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch release makes strange grinding noise...

I have an 02 Z06 43k miles....I have just noticed a rolling/grinding noise when releasing the clutch in any gear from a standstill. I can feel vibration from the sound through the shifter, NOT the pedal (hands on both test). And it only seems to happen when the car is warm, however it is intermittent, but happens more often than not, and not a consistent sound either, sounds like a rolling/grinding as if it were a bad bearing. The sound occurs when the clutch is slipping, and when clutch is fully released and car is moving, the sound is completely gone. Seems to be loudest and most promintent under load with slow clutch release, i.e. rolling backwards and easing acceleration forward or rolling forward and easing acceleration backward. Additionally, when the clutch is pressed down and in any gear not moving, it will make the same sound but very faint and also intermittent. It is definitely coming from the clutch area/back of the engine. I also notice the sound briefly right when I shift into any gear from a standstill, (simultaneously as the synchros are meshing) then when in gear it immediatly quiets down until releasing the clutch. Any ideas???
Old 01-02-2008, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

mine to but only makes slight noise when at idle but nothing else but only 20k mile so i just beat on it trying to get whatever to break no luck so far im sure with time it will check out all the ones ive drove have done this at idle ex ones with aftermarket clutch
Old 01-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Teching In

I'm afraid I might have to just do that if I don't figure this out....but this might mean when the failing part fails, what else will it destroy in the process? So I would rather fix it now and save extra hassle later!
Old 01-03-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mines does the same... it is the throw out bearing. look likes u might need a clutch soon.... but dont quote me. i have heard that they are pretty noisey since the friggin engine is almost the passenger all the the time. unless it is really making a horrible noise, that is the y way they r. Hope this helps....
Old 01-03-2008, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

i had my inputshaft bearing go and my throwout could be either of those sounds kinda the same. now i need a new clutch too. better get that fixed soon could start causein u problems with ur transmission
Old 01-03-2008, 08:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car did the same thing when I was pulling it off a trailor after pulling it from Texas to GA. I thought it had something to do with the pull home. I started it up and put it in reverse to get it off the trailor and heard a horrible grinding. I worked the pedal for a bit and didnt do it again till it was completly off the trailor. I took it around the block and all over town afterwards and never heard it again. I still dont know exactly what it was.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Talking

Hi Brawl623 -

There are two bearings that could be in play, if it is not in the trans itself.

There is a pilot shaft bearing that is pressed into the rear of the crank and the front-end of the pilot shaft is supported by that bearing.

The other bearing is (as stated above) the slave-cylinder/throwout bearing assembly.

I would have thought that if it were the throwout bearing, you would feel some vibration in the clutch pedal.

Good luck and best regards -

mqqn
Old 01-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Teching In

Thank you for all your responses and advice. I guess the best thing to do if I am going to open the clutch assembly up is to replace both the pilot and throwout the bearing, and get a new clutch kit as well, and also replace the slave cylinder. Now the decision of do I want to tackle the job myself, or have it done?? I'm hearing it is quite a major job...
Old 01-05-2008, 12:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Brawl623
Thank you for all your responses and advice. I guess the best thing to do if I am going to open the clutch assembly up is to replace both the pilot and throwout the bearing, and get a new clutch kit as well, and also replace the slave cylinder. Now the decision of do I want to tackle the job myself, or have it done?? I'm hearing it is quite a major job...
Hi Brawl623 -

It is not very complicated, and does not require a lot of exceptional mechanical prowess.

I just did one for a friend in my garage this past fall.

It is a two day job if you take your time and do it right.

You need a blind bearing puller (available at Harbor Frieght) to remove the old pilot, a good selection of sockets and wrenches, a t15 torx driver, a cycle/atv lift or cheap trans jack (also harbor frieght) and some jack stands to lift the car up.

You also need a good torque wrench.

I have a lift, so it was a little easier to be able to raise the car up and lower it down when needed.

The C5 is a very straight forward car to work on.

I am working on a "how to" for C5 clutch R&R, but I am not done.

Also - the slave cyclinder and the throwout bearing are a one piece item.

Do plan on doing the pressure plate, flywheel, pilot bearing, slave/throwout and inspect the master cyclinder as well.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to shoot me a pm.

best regards -

mqqn
Old 10-28-2016, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Has anyone diagnosed the grinding noise at launch for the Z06?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch release makes strange grinding noise...